• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta vs. Manitoba

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alberta vs. Manitoba

ABP Market report - today
    Choice steers - 88.4 - 88.75

Manitoba Brandon HLS today
    Choice steers - 80.00 - 84.50

ABP Market report - today

Steers
    900-1000 95.00-105.00
    800-900 100.00-110.00
    700-800 100.00-115.00
    600-700 105.00-125.00
    500-600 110.00-130.00

HLS market report - today
    900-1000 90-99
    800-900 98-104.25
    700-800 102-108.75
    600-700 110-119
    500-600 110-120

I just listed steers, to make the point and keep it short. On some classes of cattle the price difference is significant, and this is even with the normal tendency of Heartland to be optimistic with it's reports.

On a 1300 pound steer, the difference to a Manitoba producer is anywhere from $54.50 to $109.00. The Winnipeg market is even worse, with fats bringing $78 to $83.00. bringing the spread there to $74.00 to $135.00.

More differences.
    Alberta - helps with ID tag purchase.
    Manitoba - does not.

Alberta - mandatory age verification
    Manitoba - does not, but don't get a premium anyway if they are.

Alberta - government funding for cattle producers.
    Manitoba - nothing unless someone holds a stick over their heads.

Alberta - 90% of slaughter capacity.
    Manitoba - a few Mom & Pop provincial operations, with nothing more in sight.

Yes, we live in ten little countries. I bet no one outside of our province even knows how much lower prices are here. I've been thinking a lot lately about why we've been doing so well with our petitions, comparatively speaking, and I guess all of these things are reasons.

I guess we just got hurt more.

end of rant.

Let's continue the comparison Kato. What is the cost of a 1/4 of grazing land there? How about the cost of building a house or out building? What is the cost of regulations that are designed to please the numerous non ranching folks?

Comment

Price of land? There's pasture here right now that's practically free. It's empty. And a lot of it's being bought up with European money. Grain land is not free though. Last sale in our neighbourhood was $1200.00 an acre.

And regulations, well, we've got an NDP government, with a Winnipeg fan base, so that pretty much says it all. If a cow farts three hundred miles from Lake Winnipeg, they want to know about it, yet every time there's a big rainstorm in the city, raw sewage flows into the Red River. Go figure on that one.

I don't know the cost of building a house here, but I guess it depends where it is. I don't expect to ever have a new house myself. I do know we have higher income tax rates, but for most cattle producers that's not an issue anyway.

I know some costs here are cheaper, but for those who work out, the wages are too, unless you work in the oil patch down around Melita. We have neighbours who moved here from Alberta with a bucket load of money just before BSE, and they've been reduced to the same level as the rest of us by now. Same thing for all the people from Britain who came over with a chunk of cash. Most of them have left the farm and gotten jobs.

Before BSE, our prices on cattle were pretty close to yours, because most of ours went south. This is what's hurting us now. Our feed costs aren't all that much lower than yours, as far as I know, but we're just not getting the price for the cattle.

We'll trade you our provincial government for yours if you like. Or maybe we could just borrow yours for a few weeks....... It would be nice to have one that even acknowledged our existence. You guys aren't always happy with yours, but at least they do something. That beats being ignored by a long shot.

Comment

I was just curious about the things I asked about. The price difference is the basis to Alberta instead of your traditional market. The price of cattle will not sustain the price of land here especially close to the foothills or city. Rant away Kato you earned the right.

Comment

Kato.....

I wonder what the proportion of Freight and Shrink is in that $100/hd difference?

My guess is

4% shrink on $88/cwt would be $3.50
          Freight would be over $4 ?

Again..... why do pay freight on both our grain and livestock, yet also on everything we have to buy too?

I can't think of anything good to say about Manitoba Government, ESPECIALLY the Conservation and Agriculture dept.

And then they put Rosie incharge of the Finances!......ROFLOL

Comment

Note also the Ontario prices - quite a bit higher than Alberta on fed steers.
            Large & Medium Frame Fed Steers range - 87.50-103.50 average 94.72
            I thought that was traditionally a market for MB cattle?
            As Per pointed out the land price is in your favor if you are setting up. Doesn't help if you've been there forever - just means if you sell up you are worth less. True enough what you say about immigrants coming in and buying land. Once they have bought their land they are in the same boat as everyone else - same climate, same markets, same profit potential.

Comment

Very few fat cattle go east from here. Feeders, yes, but not fats. They've traditionally gone south.

I guess I'm having a cranky day because it was time to phone the Aggravation program again. At least this time they admitted that they've received our application. Of course they won't admit to any plans to actually read it yet.....

arrggghhhhh..................... it's enough to put anyone in a bad mood!

But nothing that can't be fixed by watching a few Weird Al videos on Youtube. And making a batch of raspberry shortcake.. Feeling in a much better mood now. ;-)

Comment

I might point out also that those of us in the west or east don't have access to all that good tasting baking that comes from your kitchen.

Comment

Recipe available upon request.

Mash some raspberries & add some sugar and then some whole berries. Split some baking powder biscuits in half. Put some raspberries on that, then a pile of whip cream, and more berries.

It will make anybody's day better. ;-)

Comment

Oh Oh... now I see what's going on in this province. I read a story on the local news this morning.

Guess when the last meeting of the Agriculture committee at the Manitoba Legislature met?

That pretty much explains it doesn't it?

Comment

I went to the Hansard from the Manitoba Legislature to check and see if CKLQ got their dates right. They weren't quite right.

Actually there was a meeting in March of 2009 about transport of animals, one in June of 2008 to discuss the hog moratorium, one in 2006 to discuss rural development, farmland ownership, fire prevention, and animal diseases act, and finally they did have meetings in 2001 to discuss federal contributions in support of agriculture.

So there were actually three since 2001, and none of them had anything to say about the cattle producers and their troubles.

I wonder how they managed to find the time?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...