• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traceability in Hogs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traceability in Hogs

I guess this shouldn't be a surprise, but there is a very interesting bit at the bottom that makes me think. Notice the part about a public comment period. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any comment period attached to cattle traceability regulations... Maybe if it had been common knowledge, and people could have had a chance to voice their opinions, we wouldn't be having all the debates we're having now.

Hog traceability rules expected by early 2011
    Staff
    9/10/2010 3:40:00 AM
    Printer Version
    Email Article to a Friend
    Comment on this article

Related Items
    More News by Topic
    Livestock View!

i

i

Federal regulations allowing the setup of a swine traceability system in Canada are now expected to take effect by early 2011 at the latest.

PigTrace Canada manager Jeff Clark told the industry-sponsored program Farmscape last week that planned amendments to the federal Health of Animals Regulations, which would allow for movement reporting and identification of hogs, are expected to be in full effect by late this year or early next.

"The biggest part of the regulation is the requirement for anyone housing or moving swine to report key movement information within 48 hours of departure or reception of animals," Clark told Farmscape's Bruce Cochrane.

Such data is to include the premises ID of the site of departure; the destination; the license plate of the transport; the date and time and quantity of animals on the load; and any identifiers on the animals, such as a shoulder-slap tattoo for animals going to slaughter, or a PigTrace swine ID tag.

PigTrace is an initiative spearheaded by the Canadian Pork Council, which in turn is overseeing development of the swine component for a nationwide, multi-species livestock traceability system.

"My understanding is (the Canadian Food Inspection Agency) has draft regulations before Justice Canada right now for legal opinion and comment and review," Clark said.

The regulations are expected to be published sometime this fall for a 30-day public comment period and based on the comments received there'll be changes made if need be.

The regulations would then go on for publication in the Canada Gazette to become law, he said. "Potentially that could be before the end of 2010. If not certainly I would think over the winter and early spring of 2011."

Most stakeholders have been "supportive" and are ready to proceed once the new regulations come into effect, Clark told Cochrane last week.
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...