• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone on here want to comment on feeding grain

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only know how to embed Youtube videos. I wish I knew how to post pictures. I could post one of our cows out grazing corn. They've been out there since mid October now, and are going to have trouble finishing it before calving starts in two weeks.

Minus 40 with the windchill today, and it's the first time they've shown any reluctance to walk the half mile to the corn. I don't blame them! I wouldn't do it either.

For you guys who are having issues with hay.. have you ever investigated grazing corn? It's sure a lot cheaper than paying 160 for a bale of hay. If hay ever got that expensive here, there's no way we would buy it.

We're going to end up with cows in the yard feeding from Feb 1 to about April 15, which comes to 73 days, if my math is correct. Not bad for Manitoba. Basically they're only in the yard to calve, and then they're back out.

Comment

kato: could you give us a quick run down on the costs of grazing corn.....from a first hand farmer experience?
      One other thing.....you probably get more heat units than us guys out here in the "artic"....how developed does the cob get?

Comment

We did the math the other day.. again. It worked out to less than 70 cents a day per cow. That wasn't using any machinery depreciation or anything. All the equipment cost is a day of seeding and then a day of knocking down strips for the electric fence. We get it custom sprayed, so that's calculated in. You also save a lot of fuel while they're out grazing, which isn't included in that calculation.

When you've been grazing a field for a while, you find that your fertilizer costs go down. We don't use anywhere near the fertilizer that a grain farmer would. It gets 50 actual pounds of nitrogen, and some manure, sometimes, depending on whether they've got some grazed when we clean corrals. Yield goes from a low of 9 tonnes per acre, to a top end of about 16 tonnes. That's according to the samples that crop insurance has taken over the years. Even on the poorer yield years, there's been lots for the cows to eat.

We sow in May, and turn the cows out usually in mid October. We've always had cobs. They average between 8 and 10 inches long, for our variety. One year we got an early frost, and it froze while it was still green, but the cobs were filled. What happened was the sugar in the plant got trapped in the stem and the cows just loved it. As long as the cobs are filled, and fairly ripe, we don't worry about it too much.

Comment

Yeah, ASRG I don't think they have developed a corn
          yet that is economic on the sub 1600 heat units my
          place usually gets.
          So is that conventional corn kato as opposed to
          RR/BT stuff?
          Kato's comment about getting an early frost trapping
          the sugar in the stem is exactly what we get in
          September on tame grasses like meadow brome. This
          is our biggest natural advantage - to have the ability
          to grow the quality of forage to fatten cattle or milk
          dairy cows on that late in the year. I'm in grass