• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed Stored

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Stored

They have said that 6 feed stores in Canada has traces of animal products in there feed.

We might as well get all the dirty little secrets out in the open. I hope if these companys were violating the rules they hit them with the maximum penalty.

Comment

And at this point it's just more finger pointing. Feed components flow both ways over the line even at this time. Until some thing is definably proven all it is more finger pointing and innuendo.

One thing that is becoming painfully obvious though, the tracking that getting done seems to be a lot easier up here as opposed to down south of the Line. Looks to me, the Merkins got a bit of a f.u.b.a.r. on their hands.

Comment

From the Brandon Sun. Saturday Jan 17.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is looking for answers after U.S. inspectors reported finding contamination in animal feed from 14 Canadian plants.

The federal agency is reviewing its entire feed regulatory system to determine what enhancements may be needed, said spokesman Sergio Tolusso in an interview Friday.

"In some cases we're hard pressed to determine what the source of the contamination might have been." Tolusso said.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued "import alerts" on 14 companies after inspectors discovered animal materials in feed that was supposed to contain only vegetable matter.

Materials found included hair muscle tissue, blood and feathers.

Some industry officials expressed frustration with the alerts which allow products from the ompanies in question to be impounded without examination.

One official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the latest measures reflect politics and protectionism rather than science. He said the alerts were issued on the basis of microsopic inspection, not DNA testing, and the quantities of contamination were so minute as to pose no risk.

"Science has been left at the doorstep." he said.

Colleen Vancha of the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, one of the companies on the list, said it has received no direct communication from the FDA, and is looking for information. Vancha said that in the case of the Wheat Pool, the feed came from a grain handling plant that contains no animals or animal feed operations.

My question is....was this feed found in the States? If so, we should conduct our own tests on the feed still in Canada. My trust level is really low on this one. I think a few DNA tests are required. Meat and feathers also come from mice and sparrows.

Comment

You know, the more I think about it, if this turns out to be pigeon feathers, and some ground up rats, I think we are owed an apology.

If not, then someone's head should roll.

It wouldn't hurt to take a look at a few batches of US feed, as well.

Comment

While this accusation does look a little petty considering Americas horrible record on abuses in the feed regulations, it never hurts to find out the truth.
            The question we should be asking is why isn't Canada testing American products and insisting that the USDA clean up the breeches in the US plants?
            This whole problem of plants violating the rules needs to be straightened out. It almost seems they didn't take the rules very seriously. We know that happened in the US and we need to know if the Canadian plants were any better. The USDA and the Canadian Inspection agency certainly weren't getting the job done. If that was due to a lack of manpower or resources then we have to fix the problem?

Comment

There were feedstore in the US - sitationed just weeks before their BSe. Cow. I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 were ticketed.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...