• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad leg

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad leg

Got a steer that got hind leg wrapped up and torn in some wire. Have been pumping the pen-G into him. Doesn't seem to be helping. Any suggestions? Alternate meds?

Is the problem systemic infection that is not responding to the antibiotic or is it that the leg is not healing?

Comment

The antibiotic does not seem to be working as the swelling is still noticable. He still favours it pretty well. Wondering if there is anything one can do if the infection is in the bone or joint?

Comment

Try another antibiotic. Some get into tissues better than others. I know of a really good one, but since it's a prescription drug, I can't say it here. Ask your vet.

Comment

Help from a hobby farmer, take it or live it I don't care its your steer.
          Clean the leg up with alcahol and then spray it with Iodine may have to do this a few times along with the pennicilen,

Comment

There could always be a chance that there is still "something" in the wound. It may have gotten some frostbite from the compromised circulation.
            I could try the iodine/detergent mix like a Betadine, or Hibitaine. Might need to get in a brush it in. Then a topical spray like Boroform.

Best of luck

Comment

One of our bulls did the same thing last summer. It took a very long time to heal. I agree with the watch for frost damage suggestion. His circulation may not be great, especially if if was wrapped all the way around, and tight.

Horse people are generally really good at coming up with ways to treat this sort of injury. (Horses cut themselves ALL the time) We've treated cattle before with bandages and leg wraps, (just as though they were horses), and had really good results. Of course our feedlot friends don't believe us, but we've seen the results, so we will keep doing it.

Invite a cowboy over for coffee! :-)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...