• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No test

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No test

If you read Neil Jankes letter to the media you will realize testing is not going to happen in Canada! He states very clearly that testing does not ensure safety and that the only safe way to ensure the beef is safe is removal of SRMs! Then he goes on to state,in a round about way, that actually what they are doing isn't really safe either but we need to BS our way out of that! If you were a beef consumer and you read this latest release would you be very happy? I don't know what kind of bonehead would send this kind of letter out to the public? Are the beef industry leaders that stupid?

Where can we find this letter?

Comment

They, are supposed to be representing the interests, but instead are drinking out of the same trough as the politicians so it will be what is best for the politicians, not necessarily what is best for the consumers or producers.

Comment

The letter from Neil is a nice reassurance to us all about the science of BSE and why we don't need to test every animal. However it is neither about science or politics, but rather about marketing. If we have to test every animal at 30$ that is expensive, but if we don't test, that is even more expensive. Because if we don't test the animals to our customers standards they will not buy our product. Neil thanks our domestic consumers and that is good, but 70% of our market is non domestic.
        Our customers will tell us what their needs are and unless we can convince them that their needs are different, they will dictate the purchase critera. It appears the customer is not willing to change the criteria, so we need to change our product attributes.
        The customer is always right!!

Comment

kato: in the news section of agri-ville.
          I can see Neil reassuring the producers that all is well, but if you read the article I wonder why he would want the Canadian consumer to see it? Maybe I just don't get it or something but I certainly was not reassured!
          Sort of like when Ralph came out with his dumb 3S statement. Plays good with the old boys down on the farm but not so good with the housewife doing the shopping?

Comment

I have often wondered if Neil Janke and the other industry leaders actually write their own letters like this or if CCA staff do it for them.
            In fairness to Neil, what should he have said? Should he have said the beef producers in Canada have no hope of seeing the border open to live cattle in time to save an economic disaster? Maybe something like the U.S. is unfairly restricting imports of Canadian beef? How about Canada is not going to test all cows for BSE because the Americans won't let us?
            If I read between the lines of Neil's letter it is that the CCA people have just about reached the end of their rope and don't know what else to say or do this time around.

Comment

Rsomer, well said.

Unfortunately in the short term we can't control this situation and I don't know what I would do if I had to make the call. It's all in the hands of the U.S.

Frustrating but true.

Comment

I agree. What could he say? It's out of our hands. There was nothing there that we hadn't heard before.

The big problem in my eyes is that WE are the ones who are losing the money every time something new comes up. Every other link in the food chain seems to be doing very well. We can't keep this up much longer, or we'll all be out of business.

Why doesn't anyone else see this?

Comment

kato others do see this, however, they really are not doing much about it. I would think "OUR LEADERS" would be looking at ways to help the industry not reacting to the things that come up!

If we build a plant and want to test animals we can do that! The government has said "THEY" won't test everyone. But "They" also won't pay your bills, so do we wait for them to save the industry or do it ourselves!

It really doesn't matter what any of the "THEY" people say! If you want to save the industry, you best be prepared to save it yourselves!

Comment

Well perhaps Neil should have said all those things, rsomer? I mean if thats how it is, why sugar coat it?
                    I do realize Neil is caught between a rock and a hard place. Tough job. And I'm sure he's getting his marching orders from above.

Comment

Kato - I think many others see this and are just as frustrated as you are.

What goes around - comes around and yes, in the short term all the players have what they need. As producers start to fall, the numbers will eventually diminish and then what will the rest of the chain do? It is very much a house of cards.

I also think that rsomer is right - what are these people supposed to say? Platitudes are not going to be helpful right now and with our hands essentially tied by closed borders what else can be done?

Yes, plants can be built and testing done, but if borders are shut, what difference will it make in the long run? Those that can afford to invest in a plant and get their animals processed will be okay - what about those who cannot afford to get into these things? How will it be any different than what currently exists? It will once again be the haves and the have-nots.

Our domestic market just cannot support all of the beef that is out there. People can buy and eat only so much hamburger, no matter how much they want to help.

What is so frustrating and sad at the same time is that there are no easy answers.

Comment

Linda: You are correct when you say we can only eat so much hamburger. I do believe this year could be a crisis if the border isn't opened up for our old cow meat. We might get some plants up and running to kill cows but where do we sell it? Will the government devise a scheme where they basically give it away to some third world country?
                        Personally I still think the pit is the best and probably cheapest answer but I am sure the government wouldn't want to do that. The press would be ugly to say the least? And yet if something isn't done where will all the old cows go? If we basically kept all last years culls and we add this years we are facing a real problem? If we get another drought, what then? When you get less for a cow than the price of hauling her doesn't it make more sense to spend that three cents for a .22 shell?
                        My Dad told me that in the dirty thirties they drove cows cross country for 12 miles, loaded them on freight cars and shipped them to Burns in Calgary. Instead of a check they got a bill! My grandfather never paid it! Later they shot cows and dragged them into the pigs.
                        Maybe we need the Canadian wheat board to sell our old cows? They seem to have a knack for giving away a product nobody wants?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...