• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNA

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNA

I have been wondering how the DNA traceback was done on the Washington cow.

With the commonality of sires in the dairy industry and limited number of sires used how did they link her to her dam and therefore determine the birthplace in Alberta. Did they find some maternal sisters to construct a model or did they go on sire DNA alone.

Bruce: Yea I never quite got that one either. When I asked on this forum I was told they could DNA her not only through the AI sire but she had a daughter in the Washington herd! Now I still didn't get how that made any difference, but all the Canadian vets and USDA vets figured this was 100% proof, so I thought well they must know! I guess it really doesn't matter now because America is screwed just like us, despite their best efforts to wiggle out of it.

Comment

Cowman. I am glad I am not the only one confused on this and I have a pretty good understanding how DNA can be constructed when one parent is not available.

As far as the daughter in the Washington herd..well..they couldn't even ID her bull calf a month after he was born.

But I guess the test has been accepted.
      There had better been some kind of deal made to get the border open the way everything has slid into place so neatly.

Comment

I understood she had a daughter in the Canadian herd. Could be wrong. Without siblings or progeny it would be very difficult to DNA test using only the AI sire, I agree.

Comment

I had a CFIA person here who told me the cow wasn't an AI daughter, she was a daughter of a barnyard bull that was used only in the Alberta herd so there was a relatively limited pool to compare too. Who knows when it comes to CFIA information though.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...