• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comment Period for BSE/Anaplas Ending

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment Period for BSE/Anaplas Ending

The deadline for public comment on the CFIA proposal to allow the importation of feeder cattle from the United States infected with Bluetongue and Anaplasmosis ends tomorrow February 15, 2004. Canada is presently considered free of these diseases, the United States is not. For this reason Canada has required a blood test of American cattle coming into Canada during the summer months. The Canadian feedlots consider this to be an impediment to trade and their ability to access U.S. feeders year round. Presently U.S. feeders can come into Canada without a blood test during the winter months when the insects responsible for the spread of Bluetongue and Anaplasmosis are not a problem.
    According the CFIA if infected U.S. feeders come into Canada during the summer the disease will spread to the surrounding cow herds. Expected outcomes of Anaplasmosis infection in our cows will be:
    29%-49% mortality of infected cows
    28% of survivors will be chronically infected
    22% of survivor cows will abort
    50% of bulls will experience lower fertility 88% of survivor cows will experience lower fertility

See: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/bovine.shtml

This is not something that can be ignored by any cow calf producer particularly in Alberta where the bulk of the infected feeders will be coming. Please take the time to comment. Although it is asked that the comments should address scientific issues and should, where possible, be supported by scientific data or published information this information is available on the CFIA site above. It is important that the average producer replies if we wish to remain free of these diseases. Anaplasmosis is a "production limiting disease" and in 2002 it was ranked fifth in economic importance among the diseases affecting cattle in the US.
    Comments should be submitted in writing by February 15th, 2004 and should be addressed to:
    Dr. Sarah Kahn
    Director
    Animal Health and Production Division
    Canadian Food Inspection Agency
    59 Camelot Drive
    Nepean, ON K1A 0Y9
    Tel: (613) 225-2342, ext 3775
    Fax: (613) 228-6630

The website contains a link if you wish to submit a comment by email.

What, if any, benefit would there be to letting cattle known to be infected into this country? Are there not enough cattle here for the feedlots?

I am at a loss to understand why the feedlots would be pushing for something like this. Can someone help enlighten me?

For the purebred cattle industry and those that export germ plasm i.e. embryos and sperm, wouldn't that be a huge impediment because as I understand it, you have to be free of these things in order to export?

It would appear on the surface to be a no brainer, but if the feedlots have enough clout they could conceivably hurt things for the whole industry?

What are they thinking?

Comment

They are thinking that they can custom feed for Americans.

As someone who lives near the TB zone in Manitoba, and sees the red tape and hoops guys go through to do anything with their cattle, I don't get it. What's the big deal with the testing?

What if we told them they needed a permit before they could haul their cattle to pasture? Or that they needed their entire herds tested twice a year. (This means putting them all through the chute twice..three days apart..no small job if the herd is big)
      Even if you haul cattle in and out of the zone to pasture, you need tags and permits. This sometimes means simply chasing them to the other side of the road...and you need a permit!

Now that's an impediment!

Comment

And it's okay that the feedlots can jeopardize the whole of the industry - as I understand it - so that they can feed for the U.S. which is presently blocking our live cattle from going across the border?

And we're still allowing their live cattle in here?

It is mind-boggling to say the least.

Comment

I don't think we are allowing any American live cattle in right now? I thought they were limited to muscle cuts alone?
          Apparently the Aussie meat is coming back in on the quota deal. The reason cited was we have WTO committments and if we kept out the quota beef we would not be playing fair! Of course under the WTO rules any country that continues to ban our beef because of one case of BSE is also breaking the WTO rules...but you know how Canada is? The boy scout of international trade always ready to cave in and take a beating. Our incompetent leaders?

Comment

I'm curious, if a fellow lived near a feedlot, and the feedlot owner had publicly lobbied to open the border..And this fellow owned a cow herd, and that cow herd developed anaplasmosis ...could that same fellow sue for damages?

MMMM......

Comment

kato: Who would he sue? The feedlot? The CCA/ABP? The federal government?
              I find it amazing that our animal health scientists say this is not something we want and the politicians ignore them and listen to the packer/feedlots and their spokesmen the CCA/ABP? I mean who does this really affect? You and me, the guys who own the cows!
              The only reason the feedlot/packers want American calves is so they can drive down prices. When the first "restricted" feeder program came in it was in direct response to high calf prices in Canada. The feedlot/packers simply did not want to buy on the open Canadian market. So they gave the marching orders to their flunkies the CCA/ABP to get out there and lobby the politicians. I find it appalling that I am forced to pay a checkoff to a group that works against my interests? How fair is that?

Comment

Totally unfair.

As for the anaplasmosis, I'm thinking maybe class action suit naming all of them. Precedent has been set with the Red Cross and the blood issues.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...