• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magpies?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magpies?

Yesterday out feeding the cows I saw a magpie chasing a mouse on top of the snow. It was the darndest thing I ever saw! This magpie eventually got the mouse killed and flew away with him. Now I always thought magpies were basically scavengers and never knew they killed mice! Maybe they aren't all bad?

Magpies around here like dog food the best. Since we built a screen over the cat food our magpie population has dropped by 95%. LOL

Mind you it may have dropped more, since I found a magpie wing on the back porch this morning. That new German Shepherd pup just may turn out to be the dog of our dreams!

Next to squirrels, those magpies are about the biggest hazard the songbirds have in our yard. They eat a lot of eggs.

Comment

... Magpies can be very aggresive, especially if there is a nest near by. They are opportunists and carnivores. I have a nest outside our french doors, and in the summer, the parents stalked and terrorized the cat for three months, to the point where they were in the house and the cat was under the bed. So, I read up on it...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...