• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rimbey Slaughterhouse

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rimbey Slaughterhouse

In yesterdays "Central Alberta Life" there is a article on a proposed slaughterhouse in Rimbey Alberta. The plant would mostly process cattle and bison along with some sows.
    Federally inspected 23,000 sq, feet.
    The way the article is wrote it sounds like a new gen co-op.
    The plant is awaiting federal approval says spokesperson Pauline Hansen.
    Anyone know anymore about this plant?

Very much just a proposal at this point, as far as I know. Nonetheless, lots of interest.

Comment

lets suppose I am one of the millions living in a metro center who buys my beef under cellophane and gets all of my knowledge of the beef situation from the TV and daily newspaper... how would I know anything of this Gen Coop or understand the pitfalls of a proposal like the Rancher Inc. system? In this forum, we are preaching to the choir, but the masses are not farmers and there is strength in numbers.
      Who is coordinating the PR on this program? Also, how is the distribution channels of the beef to be managed? Are there set contracts to be determined, such as with major distributors like Centennial Foods, or is it a "if we build it, they will come" philosophy? I guess I need to call Klaus, but I am... curious. I think the concept is a good one, whether it is a refurbished plant or a new one, but I don't see much in the way of a plan, and nothing in media support. You want to know where Gov $'s go... follow the voters. The program isn't going to get the support it needs without a plan and PR program... and if there is one, let me know, because I would love to see that PSA come across my desk.

Comment

The Rimbey plant is not as yet a plan the is working under the Aleberta Valuye Chain Cooperative plan, nor is the group from Spruce Groove, Calgary or riely. Each of these are groups that have put some interest forward. An open invitation to have any of these groups contact the AVCC and find out about the information they have worked on in the past several years. Most of the plans follow the status quo (sad but this hurts the producer) and the over all operations of the proposal.

We believe that the strategy we are working on has reduced risk to the producer and will help us all in the long run. I have had feed back from those that have met with some of these groups and feel a little more than scared for them. Opening the door to communication with them is always the first step to moving forward and the door is open here.

Comment

ValuechainFX, I heard that the group from Ryley is having a meeting in Camrose on tuesday at 1:00pm at the Seniors Center. If you say that they don't have anything going on with the AVCC, could somebody from there go to the meeting?

Comment

I shall pass the info on!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...