• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not one but three

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not one but three

Just out of curiosity how rare is it to have cow give birth to triplets? Any numbers? We have one that had twins last year and now triplets.

It's genetic so you better keep her and her heifers (if there wasn't BSE). However any heifers born with a bull calf will be infertile.

Comment

We had a set of triplets last year. The second 2 were tangled so I lost one but the other 2 did well. As far as I know that was the first set on this farm in it's hundred year history.

Comment

Your cows are tying to help you out.

Comment

My next door neighbour always averaged about two pairs of twins every year out of two particular cows. This year though, I think they are on either their fifth or sixth pair. They lost a couple of pairs to malpresentations and not being there, but I told the neighbour's wife that if they keep on going, their cows might give them close to a 200% calf crop this year! Have never seen or heard of one herd giving so many multiples in one year!

Comment

My cousin has a purebred Simmental herd of 150 cows. They routinely get 15-20 sets of twins a year and had one set of triplets last year, one set about ten years ago. I think certain strains of Simmentals are prone to twins more than other breeds?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...