• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The BSE experiment LATEST!!!!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The BSE experiment LATEST!!!!!!

CJD fears prompt blood donor bans
    Tue 16 March, 2004 13:51

By Patricia Reaney

LONDON (Reuters) - The government is to ban people who have had transfusions over the past 24 years from donating blood to reduce the risk of spreading the human form of mad cow disease.

Health Secretary John Reid announced the move on Tuesday, three months after he reported what is thought to have been the world's first case of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD) caused by a blood transfusion.

"Our experts concluded that the United Kingdom should exclude from donating blood those people who had themselves previously received transfusions of whole blood components since January 1980," Reid told parliament.

He added that the date had been chosen because it is unlikely people would have been exposed to the infection before then.

"I stress that the risk attached to this group of blood donors is uncertain but we are taking these measures as a precaution since the risk may be slightly higher than for the population as a whole," he said.

The blood transfusion ban follows news last December of the death of an unidentified patient who died several years after receiving blood from a donor later found to have had vCJD.

The recipient of the transfusion developed vCJD after a 6-1/2 year incubation period. The donor showed no signs of the disease when the blood was given to the National Blood Service but developed the illness and died from it three years later.

At the time, Reid said it was not certain whether the patient had been infected though a transfusion or by eating meat infected with mad cow disease. But since then, two research studies have shown that infection through blood is a possible route of transmission.

Variant CJD is the human equivalent of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) or mad cow disease, an incurable, degenerative brain disorder linked to eating meat infected with BSE. The illnesses are caused by normal brain proteins, called prions, that transform themselves into infectious agents.

Reid said the ban would lead to less blood available for transfusions but added that measures have been put in place to compensate.

The National Blood Service estimates a loss of 52,000 donors due to the ban.

Reid said the ban will be implemented on April 5.

This is the latest scarmongering or less than clear information issued concerning BSE/CJD here in UK

What does this mean? Just what we need to help sell beef.

Can CJD/BSE be passed in blood?

Are people who have had blood transfusion more likly to get CJD than people who eat beef?

Will blood be safer now if CJD carriers show no signs of infection and are not tested? Why blood tranfusion but not people who ate beef if that is the link?

Is it scaremongering or are there facts which mere mortals would find too much to handle.

With this sort of information is it any wonder BSE causes governments and markets to panic!!!

They ask you if you have been in Great Britain if you go to a blood donor clinic in Canada.

I don't know if this stops you from donating or not, since I've never been there, and have never answered that question "yes".

Anyone else know?

Comment

Yes Kato, because I lived there permanently I can't donate blood but also my wife who holidayed in the UK during the 1980s for 6 weeks in some years can't give blood either.

Comment

Well that's kind of reassuring??? We've been told again and again no blood transmission? So now are we going to change the BSE "gospel" to include blood in cattle....I suspect not?

Comment

In Canada, individuals are excluded from donating blood. Those who have:
          · spent a cumulative period of time of 3 months or more in the U.K. between the years 1980 to 1996;
          · spent a cumulative period of time of 3 months or more in France between the years 1980 and 1996;
          · spent a cumulative period of time of 5 years or more in countries in Western Europe between the years 1980 and ongoing;
          · received a transfusion of whole blood or blood components in the U.K. between the years 1980 and ongoing.
          There has never been a documented case of blood-borne variant CJD. The risk of transmitting variant CJD through blood is theoretical. As such, there is currently no known method for testing variant CJD in blood.

See: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/diseases/cjd/bg7.html

Comment

this sounds alittle cazy to me. If it is in the blood then it must be in the mussle last time I checked blood flows through all the body. What about SRMs another theory blowen to part? What will this mean more parts to incinerate,think of the packer input costs now.I think I am also turning into syinic.

Comment

I think the infectivity collects in the nervous tissue. Higher concentrations make it more dangerous than muscle and blood. They are probably pretty scare in muscle and blood because I'm pretty sure they have never been able to find the prions in anything but nervous tissue. (brain, spinal cord, and the other SRM's).

The blood services here are still suffering after the Aids/hepatitis problems of the past. They are very likely to overcompensate, considering the problems they have had before.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Comment

It is sort of like the AIDS thing. There, the blood is the real bad thing and not so much the spit. So I guess it is okay to swap spit with an AIDS patient?
                The whole "gospel" of BSE is junk science. But that is what the powers that be have decided to run with and hey we're talking big bucks here so that is just how it is! Hopefully it won't come back to bite us in the butt!
                And hopefully the consumer doesn't ever look too closely at the "gospel".

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...