• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cows!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whiteface, you have a very valid point! My biggest concern has been the spread of diseases!

Cattle die from such a variety of ailments these days. Just look at the vaccines out there. BVD, IBR, Parinfluensa, Hommophalis, (sorry for any misspellings) etc.

A sure way of stopping the spread of these diseases if your animal had it, was to have it picked up by the processor. This way, none of us knows what diseases are being carried further through coyotes, birds, foxes, etc.

I think our current way of disposing of our dead animals, is just another disaster waiting to happen!!

And yes, I am just as guilty as the rest of you! I can't afford to pay to dispose of something that is already costing more than it is worth!

I don't know what the answer is, but there are major issues involved with this type of disposal! Our problems may have only started with BSE, but I think we are heading for disasters if other diseases suddenly start running rampant!

Comment

I have to agree with bombay and whiteface regarding the long term ramifications of leaving deadstock for the coyotes,etc. As a sheep producers as well as cattle, the last thing I want to do is provide a restaurant service for the local coyote population. It has been my experience that once coyotes get a taste of dead sheep the quickly proceed to live ones.

At this point in time, I believe composting of all deadstock is the best solution for my farm. It has worked well so far for what we have tried, ewe, baby calves and one 1000 lb heifer. We have spread the mixture of manure and straw on the fields with no sign of residue i.e. bones, hair etc.. In addition, I believe the heat generated with proper composting would help to kill many pathogens as well. I am told it will work for mature cattle as well with a little more care. I suspect that this is something that will be very well researched before the BSE crisis has ended.

Comment

Ohh if the coyotes get too addicted to our Angus beef we just drag a couple dead exotics out there-just puts them right off their feed LOL. Actual;ly in the bush most times all you find is the bones anyways-mother nature has it all cleaned up

Comment

Wilson: I LOL and I have to agree the clean up by wolfs and mother nature will not spread disease. The wolf etc. should be the healthest they have ever been, but if the meat supply don't last they may take to helping them selves. The human pack seems to have.

Comment

Another good alternative(especially in the summer when the coyotes won't eat them) is to burn them? A big pile of deadfall, set the cow on top with front end loader, little bit of deisel fuel and let her rip!

Comment

My partner has continued to do very well with this concession stand...so much so that I intend to build another for our use! The tricky part of all this is getting the darned thing into profitable events. You would not believe the garbage you have to go through! My partner has a hard time with the concept of having to grease some palms to get in and get a favorable location! Luckily, I understand the concept very well! That is how just about everything in the oil patch works! For a tea totaller I buy more whisky than just about anyone around!
              A nice little spin-off to this venture is that now a major charity wants me to build them an identical unit! They will use it only in Edmonton and surrounding areas so will not be competing. I've built in a tidy profit in the price and am awaiting their acceptance of the proposal. Delivery would be in the early spring of 2005.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...