• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changes to the Way the CWB Contracts/Buys Feed Barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kato, we do have lots to be worried about and not just with the border not opening. The majority seemed to have pinned their hopes on the border opening, which now doesn't look like much of a reality for the forseeable furture. We've got a massive amount of cattle and unfortunately with something perishable like meat, you don't have a whole lot of options.

For whatever reasons, our leadership seems focused on the american border and it is time we look elsewhere. With the notable exceptions of BIG-C and the proposed producer packing plants, we have had little in the way of support for these groups - be it government (although I don't think we necessarily want government money), organizations or what have you.

If the majority of grassland gets turned into annual crops, that doesn't bode well for biodiversity or for soil and water conservation, not to mention carbon stores. We have lost so much in terms of wetlands and riparian areas, both of which serve vital functions in our ecosystems.

The picture is not very pretty and we need to take steps to preserve what we have and enhance it if at all possible. Seeking new markets for our livestock, having new policies and infrastructure in place to bring about the ability to find and develop niche markets etc. is critical at this point in time.

Action is critical.

Comment

Another thing that worries me is the attitudes that I see developing in people I meet lately.

There are more than a few signs of 'giving up'. That is a big big problem. Once someone gives up it becomes very hard to motivate them to fight on.

We are all now well aware of where we stand in the list of priorities of our neighbours down south. Our eyes are open, and we can't afford to sit around any more and be polite.

We have to refuse to accept platitudes and reasurrances of goodwill from the U.S. There is no goodwill down there for us. We may as well get used to it, and make sure we cut the cord quickly.

As of August 1, 2005 it will have been eight years since the feed ban came into effect. Eight years is an important number in that it drops us to a lower BSE risk country, Whether the Yanks like it or not.

By then, with any luck, we'll be on our way to independence.

Comment

stettlerab: You have stated our dilemma exactly how it is! We produce way too much for our population. And there are no easy answers?
        Now much as people hate to admit it there are a couple of industries that stay within the demand side of the Canadian population...and are profitable day in and day out! The dairy and poultry sectors?
        Of course if we all were involved in a supply management deal, we would need to retire about 75% of the farmland, to make it happen! The resulting economic chaos wouldn't be acceptable.
        As I said this is the dilemma we face and no one seems to have any answers.
        But the fact is it is unlikely the border will open this year and the other fact is that is the only viable export market we really have! No one else is taking our meat in a signifigant way! And they won't until the USDA says our beef is okay.
        If Bush loses this election I sincerely doubt the border will open for at least four years? Kerry is a protectionist big time and a whole lot of his support comes from American farmers who see the value of protecting their domestic markets! The R-calf types if you will? Lets face it, whether we like it or not, the border closure has been very good for the American cattleman?
        So consider this scenario? A closed border for four years. Prices falling even further as we continue to vigorously expand our cow herd. How long can anyone last losing money on every head sold? Meanwhile our costs of production and our cost of living continue to go up?
        There is enough money in the price of beef at the supermarket to assure all players can survive! Cow/calf, feeders, packers, retailers! But we must reduce the supply to get back in equilibrium with our domestic demand. And yes that means less "take home pay" but more profit? And yes that means a whole hell of a lot of us are going to have to go! Some of us will make that decision and be in control of our destiny and for some the bank will make that decision? Not pretty but it is reality?
        The good news is that once that door closes, new doors will open? There is a lot more to life than working like a dog for nothing!

Comment

let's get on with other solutions and to heck with cargill, tyson, abp, cfia.

End to U.S. beef import ban long way off: Kamei

Japan's farm minister hinted Tuesday that reaching a resolution in beef-trade talks with the United States may take a long time, despite the two countries' desire to settle the issue of Japan's beef import ban this summer.
          "It's difficult to tell the future schedule (of the talks) at this stage," Yoshiyuki Kamei, minister of agriculture, forestry and fisheries, said.

Noting that the Cabinet Office's Food Safety Commission has not yet made any clear decisions in its review of domestic measures against mad cow disease, Kamei said it will be hard to reach an early settlement.

Kamei repeated Japan's position that to remove its import ban, the United States must implement safety measures similar to those Japan has put into place against mad cow disease.

Tokyo imposed the ban after the first U.S. case of the brain-wasting disease was confirmed in a Canadian-born cow in December.

"Taking measures equivalent of those in Japan is a basic requirement" for the removal of the ban, Kamei said. "We will approach the talks in such a way as to avoid damaging consumer trust."

Before removing its import ban, Tokyo wants the U.S. to agree to test all slaughtered cattle for mad cow disease or provide equivalent safety assurances. Washington maintains blanket testing is unscientific.

The Japan Times: Aug. 11, 2004
          (C) All rights reserved

there was also coverage of big-c's slaughter plant proposal on the syngenta newsletter this a.m.

Comment

If Tokyo wants tested beef, then why can't WE sell it to them?

I think our politicians can't see the forest because the trees are in the way.

Comment

i think our politicians are bought and paid for by the us and the packers. anyone here remember what speller had to say? look at the calendar and be ready to celebrate the border opening. lol.

Comment

I wonder what would happen if say Japan found that small Canadian packer who would/could test and they agreed to take the meat? After all isn't that basically the deal Creekstone was trying for?
                Do you think the USA would stand by and allow that to happen? Let's face it they have a whole lot of "pull" when it comes to world trade? Do you think they would try to strong arm Japan into not accepting that meat? I suspect testing wouldn't change a thing, because this never really was about science or food safety? It really was about using"science" to steal huge amounts of money from the Canadian cattle producer and destroy our industry?

Comment

It's not only the US that is causing us problems in the beef industry....rumor has it that a local food chain sold 18,000 lbs of hamburger from South America in a week at 99 cents/lb....no indication from the store it was foreign, & locals felt they were supporting Cdn farmers. I agree we should take the same isolationist approach that the USA is doing with all ag products, but my undedrstanding is that we would be violating a multitude of trade agreement clauses if we did. THANK-YOU VERY MUCH ... BRIAN MULRONEY for forcing through the free trade agreement. We in the AG community do not have short memories....

Comment

Brian Mulroney & his old gang helping Stephen Harper with the election Is the reason I didn't vote.

Brian & Osama two guys who need to be asked what color is the sky in your world?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...