• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lending money on cattle

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lending money on cattle

Has anyone know the truth as to whether our american neighbors are defalting on cattle loans and leaving FCC holding the bag?

Well Nilson Bros.use FCC to underwrite their finance program so it very well could be true to some extent.

Comment

How the hell could anyone not be profitable with beef prices the way they are in the US? A loan with land as colateral is safe. A loan with cows is safe. If a feeder were to load up on some of these over priced calves, they could face ruin if prices come down to reality, but most lenders make you post 1/3 if you don't have price protection in place. Seriously, there are very few defaults at any lending source

Comment

Well oxbow I think grassmarketer was talking about all the American owned cattle up here in Canada? Americans piled into the calf market up here in a big way last fall, hoping to make a killing when the border opened in early 2004. Of course the Washington cow pretty well screwed up that deal, and now a lot of these American buyers are finding out first hand what kind of a raw deal we are getting!
        One of the big boys in R-CALf(Debruckyer) is claiming he lost $300,000 or more! Now the total irony of the thing would be if he left the Canadian Farm Financial Credit Corporation holding the bag! Or for that matter he stuck it to a Canadian bank.

Comment

What is FCC doing lending to non-Canadians anyway?

Comment

I gotcha now cowman, that makes sense. If some guy loses his ass on one side ofthe border, can creditors cross the border to collect their money?

Comment

oxbow: I don't know. I would think that the creditors would be able to go after US assets, but I have no idea how that works. I'm not even sure if anyone tried to default.

Comment

It would depend on the amount and extent of the assets. A lawyer here would have to either apply to be licensed in whatever state or hire a firm to act on your behalf in that state. You'd have 2 lawyers fees, one of them having to be paid in American dollars, so whatever you happened to be collecting for would have to be substantial enough to warrant going after it.

It could be done, but it would be a huge undertaking.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...