• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohhhh. This is going to hurt.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohhhh. This is going to hurt.

BSE-infected cow may have gotten into cattle feed

OTTAWA - The diseased cow that sparked Canada's mad cow crisis in May 2003 was turned into feed and may have been mistakenly fed to other cows, CBC News has learned.

Documents obtained through Access to Information show the Canadian Food Inspection Agency had discovered cattle at a number of farms were eating feed intended only for pigs and chickens. That feed may have contained the rendered remains of the diseased cow.

By law, cattle cannot be given feed made from rendered cows, precisely because it could spread bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Part of the problem was by the time BSE was confirmed in the suspect cow, it had already been ground up into feed.

The agency estimated that feed was sold to as many as 1,800 farms and launched an investigation. They visited 200 cattle operations and found several cases where cows were exposed to the feed.

Three cattle farms were quarantined and 63 cattle destroyed.

Inspectors also learned there was frequent cross-contamination of chicken and cattle feed, and in one case, the farmer admitted he routinely gave chicken feed to cows.

In 1997, the federal government banned the practice of allowing cattle to be ground up and fed back to other cattle.

The latest research shows just a milligram of infected feed is needed to trigger BSE in a cow, said Neil Cashman, professor of neurological disease at the University of Toronto.

According to Cashman, Canada should not be feeding any animals any material rendered from a cow because feed mix-ups are so common. He adds that the risk to humans is infinitesimal.

Cattle remains are still used as pig and chicken feed, but concerns about cross-contamination persist.
    Mike McBain

In June of last year, a group of international scientists urged Canada to stop recycling the most potentially infectious parts of cows, like the spinal column and the brain, into animal feed.

The agency consulted industry, farmers, and trading partners about such a ban, but nothing has been put in place, says Sergio Taluso, spokesperson for the food inspection agency.

One lobby group argued changes must come now.

"The only way to stop the transmission is to stop recycling animal protein into herbivores," said Mike McBain, of the Canadian Health Coalition.

"And the [food inspection agency] has refused to do that because it's waiting for the signal from industry instead of intervening and telling industry what to do," said McBain.

Our spring calves are down at the local stockyards. Took them yesterday. Hopefully the buyers go easy on us tomorrow morning. This might really throw the prices for a loop.

Imagine Winnipeg Livestock is having a good size sale today. Saw alot of double and single deck trailers going around Steinbach yesterday.

Checked the CFIA website, and they proposed the removal of SRMS in all feeds, including pet food back in July. I was under the impression that they had done it already.

If this has not been done by now, someone should be cornered over it. This is unacceptable.

As for the story on the chicken feed fed to cattle, I don't know what we can do about it now. Weren't those farmers aware of the chicken feed to cattle issues at the time?

I bet this is the reason the CFIA decided to take SRM's out of all feed in the first place.

On the other hand, I doubt if it was in the States, that anyone would have even been able to find out about it, let alone quarantine herds and slaughter cattle.

Comment

A clear case of ignoring the real science once again. This bse in solid feed is nonsense - they tried to infect cows by this method in large scale tests in the UK without success. The only way that the milligram of bse material can be transmitted to a beef animal is if it is in the powdered milk fed within the first 56 hours of a calf's life. I don't think this will cause any problems to the cattle trade.

Comment

grassfarmer... perhaps scientifically but politically it will have great effect - negative!!

Some producers are complete idiots to push the issue like this - it "could" be a form of transmission and the thought that they knowingly and purposely fed chicken feed to cattle (for pete's sake after all that has been said and reported) pi$$es me off big time. I truly hope they are left penniless and shunned by those that find their identity out. There is absolutely no excuse for such ignorance!

Comment

There is no doubt that we are going to have to change some of our practices for practical reasons if nothing else. Animals should not be used in animal feeds that will be consumed by animals that are going into the food chain. Period. We should remember that perception IS reality and if people perceive that they something can happen, then we have to take it seriously, whether or not we feel it is right, because the customer always is.

Comment

Somehow I'm missing something here? I thought this sort of garbage was over and done with?
            What really does piss me off is that the government ruined my business by feeding cows to other cows!!!
            I sure as hell didn't, or at least I don't think I did?
            Heres the basic problem? The government says a certain practice is safe?...good science and all that BS? So what are you going to do? Do you go with the science? After all all the "experts" say yea it is safe?
            Maybe we need to get rid of the damned "experts" and go back to something that makes some bloody sense!

Comment

InAHurry,

I agree that it is serious that producers would do something as stupid as use hen feed for cows given the rules against it. Politically I don't think much can be made of it by other countries - afterall the US case of BSE back in December went into the human food chain which is worse than the remains going into chicken feed. That caused little consumer reaction so why should this?

Comment

this is the first time that I actually agree with the CCA...this is an old story from 2003 when the CFIA were investing the farms related to the first case of BSE... just a case of sloppy journalism out of the CBC... hope the reporter gets a good kick in the a$$...

Comment

oops... should have read investigating farms

Comment

CBC had some Ottawa bureaucrat on the grill at suppertime tonight. He said they hoped to have rules in place “soon”, but some “segments of ag. Industry” wouldn’t be competitive if they had completely banned SRM’s 2 years ago when we had the BSE cow. I wonder who that might be? Who has the most to lose? Who has the most to gain? There was some gobble-gook about “harmonization”.

Comment

"BSE-infected cow may have gotten into cattle feed "
                      The headline in itself is misleading - into "cattle" feed.
                      I am wondering why this old story (which I didn't realize was old in by above rant) was brought to light by CBC and no reference was made to it as an archive, but leads one to think it was recently? Whatever the case it could undo thousands of hours of time and $'s which have been put towards finding our way out of this mess. Just what was the reporters purpose or reasoning for this report?? It was also aired on their TV news last night, again no reference that this was part of the previous investigation. Okay so I'm paranoid - but I believe there is a third party involved here, set to undermine any progress we've made. End of second rant!

Comment

There is a third party allright let's call him 'inept stupidity'. Headline hunting, for the majority to have something to lift their dreary gaze.

Comment

What makes this even worse is that it was our own publicly funded broadcaster that posted this old news in an attempt to drive another knife in the back of the beef industry.

Thankyou CBC. So glad to see you are putting our TAX DOLLARS to such good work!

Comment

Perhaps this "story" was meant as revenge for Ralph publicly telling Ottawa to keep their grubby little paws off of Alberta's oil revenues!!!Just a thought.
                            As far as I'm concerned the CBC should have been dismantled or sold to the private sector years ago.Why in hell does a supposedly "democratic" country need a govt. owned and controled media outlet? Their biased reporting and crappy programming are probably the only reasons that private broadcasters are not bitching too loud about having to compete with a bottomless pit of taxpayer dollars!!
                            What a country!!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...