• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this typical?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venture capitalists and angel investors want a quick and return on their money, which could be one reason for their lack of involvement. Another could be that before they invest they look at the leadership and management of the organization - they need to like what they see before they invest. From what I can gather, most of the plans for these new plants don't take a look at new markets, rather they are looking at going into the same old markets as before. The risk isn't being spread around, which is part of risk management.

It seems to me that a lot of support was withdrawn for the smaller domestic plants that you refer to and given to these larger packers thus enabling them to get the stranglehold that they have today.

I don't believe that it was any one thing that lead to the demise of the domestic packers, but a collection of events that made it difficult to operate.

Separating the production end of things from the business side will be a huge challenge for the producer owned plants and the mechanisms must be in place for any and/or all of the plants to function first and foremost as a business in a very cut-throat marketplace.

Comment

cakadu, I agree with almost everything you said in your last post but came up with a different conclusion. The old domestic plants did fail because of a combination of events, the new plants will have be profit-oriented, the multi's do have a stranglehold on Canadia's packing industry and it is true that some venture capitalists want a quick return. But it is also true that all investors want some sort of return and if the new start-ups were viable and had business plans that showed that they could make money without a huge risk of going under, there would be a line-up of people with money at the door. The fact that there isn't shows me that these new plants are not viable. In fact, as you point out, there is actually less chance of them succeeding than before since the multi's now have a strangehold on things. The only way for a domestic industry to succeed, in my opinion, is to tie it in with a complete overhaul of our agricultural system.

Comment

Have to agree 100% with what you have said kpb! Unfortunately our illustrious federal government will never change the rules so why does anyone think anything will change?
        If that border opened tommorrow that would be the end of all this talk of new packing plants...and that is a fact.
        We should never forget that Cargill and IBP are planning expansions that will in effect be able to handle pretty well all the fats available?
        Now a cow plant is another matter...at least until the border opens to cows! Then what? Very simple answer...the cows head south or the plant is bought out by Cargill or IBP!
        People on this site seem to have some kind of naive notion that everyone will be loyal to their "native" plant? Not going to happen! Very few people are going to be so loyal as to lose money to keep a "native" plant going! And I will contend they shouldn't? Business is business and you go with the guy who is going to make you the most money. That's reality!

Comment

I suppose the other side of that is that even the producer owned plants will have to conduct themselves in a business that is known to be cut-throat. Witness XL beef. They are doing what both the other big packers are, yet the venom does not seem to flow their way and I wonder why that is?

Comment

kpb & Cowman
            You guys are nay-sayer's but your speaking the truth. I also would never let my kids get into farming, not the way things are today or looking to be going, Its bad and getting worse. All are crop input are going up Fuel,Seed, Fertilizer, Spray, Crop Insurance and crop prices are going down significantly. We have two options diversify into cattle or sell. I love farming but will not pay to farm.

Comment

I guess I am one of those not so young farmers/ranchers you talked about cowman.I sure don't feel young.It gets real hard to be positive for the future when for the most part of my career big business and politicians have been spuing much the same thing,and nothing changes.The primary producer sucks the hind teat.All I have to do is look around me and count the empty farmsteads within eyesight of my farm and the story is self evident.The only question unanswered is who is next?I remember having a conversation with a friend when I was younger about all the young people leaving the farm and I comented to him at that time that sooner or later the wolf would show up at our doors as well.He quit long ago and I have seen eyes in the darkness many times.I don't think I have become mired in self pity,its just after we have been hit by hail, tornado,drought,frost and the loss of two family members in farming accidents,you start to ask yourself,what the hell am I doing with my life,when most people don't really care where there food comes from as long as the line up at the check out is short.Where is real change going to come from if it doesn't come from the consumer?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...