• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmers and Ranchers Play by the Rules

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmers and Ranchers Play by the Rules

Now why didn't we think of that?!?!?!?

Klein urges farmers to follow rules after new BSE case emerges

By OLIVER MOORE
    Globe and Mail Update

Another case of mad-cow disease has turned up in Alberta, this time in an animal born after feeding restrictions designed to halt the spread of BSE were introduced.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency said Tuesday that it believes that the animal "most likely" became infected by eating feed produced before the ban went into effect.

Confronted with the news during a major speech unrelated to agriculture, Alberta Premier Ralph Klein said that the ability of inspectors to find infected animals such as these is good news, in that it shows that the surveillance program is working properly.

Mr. Klein conceded, though, that feeding regulations can easily be circumvented and he pleaded with farmers to obey the law.

"You can't stop people from, you know, not playing by the rules unfortunately," said Mr. Klein, who was widely criticized late in 2003 when he said that any "self-respecting" rancher would shoot and secretly bury a sick animal

"I would say to farmers and ranchers, for god's sakes, this is so serious now, and it has ... cost the industry so much money, play by the rules."

The federal government on Tuesday asked its regulators to launch an urgent investigation into feed restrictions, hoping to demonstrate the strength of the system before the United States relaxes import restrictions in early March.

"We continue to have confidence in the integrity of our current feed ban and that it protects animal an human health," Agriculture Minister Andy Mitchell told a televised press conference from Ottawa.

"However, it is important to demonstrate this to Canadians and others. I have asked the CFIA to undertake a review of our feed controls involving experts from interested third countries to clearly demonstrate to Canadians and the world the strength of the ban and the job it is intended to do."

The Alberta beef cow was born in March, 1998, about seven months after the ban on feeding protein made from cattle and other ruminants to Canadian herds went into effect. The 1997 Ruminant Ingredient Feed Ban prohibited feeding a ruminant animal with material that originated from a mink or ruminant. Milk, blood, gelatin, rendered fats and their products were exempt.

Charlie Angus, the New Democratic agriculture critic, attacked the government Tuesday, saying that the latest case raises his suspicions about the ability of the federal government to deal with BSE.

"Canada continues to lag behind the standards set in other regions that have dealt with BSE," Mr. Angus said in a statement. "Still, the Agriculture Minister is scrambling to prove that the status quo is good enough."

The case represents the third known incidence of the brain-wasting disease found in Canada in two years. The first case occurred in the spring of 2003 and caused a crisis in the cattle industry, with borders slamming shut and markets drying up. The more recent case was confirmed barely a week ago.

Both of the other cows were born before the feed ban.

The CFIA said after the previous cow was diagnosed that a small number of new cases were possible and should not affect export rules.

The United States recently announced that remaining beef import restrictions would be relaxed as early as March. They maintained that position even after news emerged several weeks ago of the second cow, noting that a cattle industry as big as Canada's could have up to a dozen cases annually and still keep it's so-called "minimal risk" status.

It seems to me that producers rely on feed companies to make feed according to the rules - that is what we pay for. Perhaps the feed companies should be regulated and audited more often to ensure that feed protocols are being followed.

Grassfarmer, I'm beginning to really take note of your posting about milk replacer being a culprit.

This is about as cold as the winter storm that is going to be blowing through here any time now.

i think ralph stayed one election too long. if there was contaminated feed it's highly unlikely the farmer formulated it. more shoot from the lip.

Comment

How could you even reply to a statement that bloody stupid.
      Who has the ability to stand up to this garbage.
      Ralph Klein has lost my respect with those comments.
      Maybe he thinks the farmer fed chicken feed to his cow.
      Pass the buck, pass the buck, pass the buck.
      Who will ultimately take responsibility.

Or who will have the guts to come clean and admit that BSE can happen spontaneously due to environmental conditions.

Comment

Its truly unfortunate that the farmer/rancher is blamed for so many things. Think of all the loads of feed and ingredients that are hauled all over North America, and even internationally in ships. As hard as everyone tries to clean out hoppers, bins, containers etc, there is still the possibility of "Last contained" contents from remaining in the system. None of the scientists that work with BSE really know how this thing gets going, or the lethal dosages are.

In regards to most "starter rations" and milk replacers, many of the most digestible proteins are animal based, such as plasma and milk byproducts. If I knew more, I would comment further, but I will leave that up to the rest of you.

Comment

You know, there is still one ultimate option to save our own asses, and that is to test all OTM cattle prior to seling them ALL OVER THE WORLD.

The more we play along with this dog and pony and now, Calgary reporter Clown game, the sooner we will have no industry to discuss.

Uninformed, doufis SOB, I am more pi$$ed with this BS from Klein than I will be with the 4th and 5th cows that WILL SHOW UP.

Comment

Appalling ignorance from Klein - like we didn't realise it was serious before now? We felt the brunt of it long before politicians had to start to discuss it - and that's all they do discuss it, they still get full pay regardless.
            I think it is time to actively look at the feed plants implicated in this.
            Woolybear it is known with a fair degree of certainty that it only takes a fraction of a gram of the
            "contaminant" to produce BSE. But it must come in the first hours of life - apparently that is the only time the stomach walls allow through a molecule of this (large)size - because colostrum has a similar molecule size. I think once the molecule gets through the stomach wall it gets carried in the bloodstream - but I'm not a scientist either, just a producer who has had BSE experience since 1989.

Comment

what is it SHOOT SHOVEL AND SHUT UP OR play by the rules?

Comment

Wild Rose's executive director has of course phoned the premiers office over this statement. We as farmers need to be asking the obvious question how can we play by the rules if we in good faith purchase a product only to find it has been contaminated without our knowledge somewhere along the line. This is something that bothers me alot. But as for Ralph, he will be dancing around this real quick because I for one and I am sure the rest on here are not feeling real comfortable right now and we all need to be aware and careful of what we are saying. Premiers included.

Comment

Thanks WRAPper. At least one group had the fortitude to make the call. I never heard til tonight. We were in the legislature meeting with Ag Minister Horner today, and if I would have heard about it then, I'd have tracked that goof down myself and gave him a piece of my mind.

Of couse watching my language like a good little Canadian.

Comment

Camelion = Ralph

Comment

I made this comment on another thread, but I will make it again here. We can rely on Science as mush as we want, human errors happen. The only way to check those human errors is to have science on both ends. My argument, TEST everything, we are now started to try the patience of consumer confidence.

Comment

Grassfarmer I will direct this question to you. If a cow had the prion and was not showing signs of the disease, can the disease or prion be passed on to the calf thru the cows colostrums?

Comment

grassfarmer do I understand you correctly--only very young animals can get BSE? If this is so than there is no way it can come from protein supplement, obviously. Can it come from the mother's milk if she is affected? If not than milk replacer is the only alternative.
                          My limited understanding was that animals contacted this through contaminated protein supplement. Are you saying that this is incorrect? What do you base this on? thx in advance for your reply.

kpb

Comment

I don't know why we ALL try to figure out the reasons for this desease and why we don't try to find a solution for the problem at hand. Trying to make excuses or to justify the reasons for the situation we're in, do no good. Let's try to find a solution for the present and future. If I buy a sour carton of milk, I don't ask why, I throw it out and don't buy from that company again. I don't try to figure out why it went sour. Sorry for my frustration, but I'm a little P/O tonight.

Comment

The quote by Charlie Angus does not sit favourably with me either.:
                              ""Canada continues to lag behind the standards set in other regions that have dealt with BSE," Mr. Angus said in a statement. "Still, the Agriculture Minister is scrambling to prove that the status quo is good enough."

Such statements do nothing to instill consumer confidence in Canadian Beef. Opposition, south of the border, will grab this and run with it. Does he not realize their are organizations that are trying to shut down the boxed beef movement also?

My guts are in a knot, what will happen next!? Besides the extreme cold that is predicted to hit us shortly. A -50 with the windchill has got to be less stressful (smile)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...