• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPCA Seizes Cattle

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPCA Seizes Cattle

Posted this news clip to see if anyone knows more about this case. Is this an obvious case of neglect or is the SPCA seizing a rancher's property without reason. Unfortunately animals do die and there are changing views about feeding and appropriate cow condition as producers refocus on the costs of wintering cows. Without know the details of this case I really cannot comment on it but on the surface this does not seem to be typical animal abuse situation. Possibly a dispute between neighbours that the SPCA chose to get involved with?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/News/2005/02/12/929007-sun.html

SPCA seizes cattle

PORCUPINE PLAIN, Sask. -- More than 200 cattle have been seized by the Saskatchewan SPCA from a farm, an animal welfare official said Thursday. "They weren't receiving adequate care," said Frances Wach, executive director of the provincial SPCA. "We removed them to where they would receive adequate care which would consist of proper food, water, shelter and care."

A large number of cattle were also found dead on the farm near Porcupine Plain, about 180 km northeast of Saskatoon. The SPCA was tipped off by concerned neighbours.

Joanne Tuleta, one of the owners of the farm, said yesterday she doesn't know what went wrong.

"We're checking the hay to see if it was poor quality," she said. "We're checking for viruses. I don't understand it. We were down (at the farm) Nov. 30 and we sold a bunch of calves off and they were in beautiful shape."

But neighbouring farmer Deon Black said she was concerned about the state of the cattle and what they were being fed.

The gossip around here is this was an absentee owner situation. Money was supplied to buy hay and straw was purchased. They are supposed to have 50 plus in the dead pile.
    The gossip has traveled a ways to get here, so take it, or leave it...
    People are weird in this kind of situation. I saw a similar thing where a generational transfer wasn’t working and the guy had sold off most of his own cows to support his lifestyle. He took on a bunch of lease cows that the owner had bought at one bid above the meat buyer. The old crocks were dieing daily until one of the neighbors took the responsibility and reported him. He insisted they were being well fed. He has to know better, as when his father was alive they had the pride of the country. He needs to find a new occupation before it’s all gone

Comment

There is an old saying in Scotland "It sometimes pays to feed cattle it sometimes doesn't - but it never pays to hunger them"
      I can't understand these guys that let animals starve.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...