• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commendable MP

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commendable MP

Just watching the House of Commons Emergency debate on the livestock industry tonight. Thought I would quickly comment on it.

I think the Canadian agriculture industry has one hell of a good friend in Charlie Angus, NDP MP for Timmins-James Bay in Ontario. This man really can put up a fight. He mentioned CAIS, BIG C, CFIA, and hammered the Liberals for knowing that R-CALF would do what they did, without having a backup plan.

Some really interesting comments from many MP's across the country.

We could all use more of those. Thanks for an inspiring post Aaron! Have a good night all!

Comment

I`d watch your FRIENDS at the NDP !!!You`ll be reaping windfall profits from a cattle board and Uncle Wayne will be there with his big smile all the way!!!!!!!The donkey couldn`t run a pay toilet if someone gave it to him!!

Comment

Well cropduster, can't say I am really for any one party, but I can definately recognize and appreciate when someone 'gets' the problems that agriculture faces?

I guess if you would like, you could compare Mr. Angus' comments to those of Leon Benoit, MP for Vegreville—Wainwright. After Mr. Angus' comments, which were loudly supported by the Conservative MP for Peace River, Charlie Penson, Mr. Benoit twisted the story and tried to convince the Commons that the entire border issue was because of missile defence? Apparently, in Mr. Benoit's eyes, R-CALF was trying to keep the border closed because they were against Canada's decision? Must have slipped Mr. Benoit's mind that it actually is profitable to currently raise cattle in the US?

Now, Mr. Benoit got real fired up and red in the face about the missile defence issue being the sole reason beef wasn't moving on March 7th. It really ticked me off to see a rural MP try and switch the entire heart and soul of a solid opposition, agricultural backed, attack on McLellan and Mitchell...to one in which missile defence and the prime minister's decision was the real threat.

Comment

Did anyone who was watching this see Mitchel say he was coming to Alberta on Thursday to meet with producers to discuss packing proposals?

Comment

Mr. Angus told the Commons that the least Mr. Mitchell could do is vow to meet with BIG C and discuss their feasibility study. Don't know if Mitchell actually accepted the challenge.

Comment

Big C was in front of Mitchel about 3 weeks ago, and has had a ton of support throw at him since that time by numerous politicians, and some industry groups (excluding ABPCCA of course).

I was hoping that he may have had the guts to speak about this in the house, but I guess that will be another time.

We have had some back and forth letter writing since the meeting with his office, and since the announcement of the injunction, he has led us to believe he has something extra on his mind.

Thanks 15444.

Comment

Got a reply from Mr. Angus, in response to my e-mail I sent him:

Greetings,
                Thank you for taking the time to write me. I was feeling very frustrated
                when I began the debate with Minister Mitchell because as I reminded
                him, we are continually meeting to debate the agricultural crisis and
                yet nothing seems to change. It is good to know that some of the
                families who are living this crisis listened to what was said in
                Parliament.
                We need to demand that our government come clean about its intentions
                for rural Canada. This government must either commit to a long term plan
                to rebuild our rural economy or it should have the guts to stand up and
                say publicly that it has no intention of supporting agriculture in
                Canada.
                This death by a million cuts is unacceptable. I will continue to fight
                hard to ensure that the rights and interests of rural Canadians are
                heard.
                Take care and good luck in your struggles
                Charlie Angus
                NDP Agriculture Critic

At this point in the crisis, I don't think it is too much to ask the feds about what their views are concerning agriculture in Canada.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...