• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price of Manure

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price of Manure

The new guidelines for manure disposal seem to be a problem for feedlot owners here in feedlot ally. It seems that over the years they have been spreading so much manure on their land and now the nutrient values are so high they can not comply with the new guidelines. Now they are coming to the neighbours and asking if we would like to have manure spread on our land. I find it very interesting that over the last few years these same feedlot owners have been fighting with their neighbours and now that they need more acres to spread manure they want to be more friendly. The problem they got now is their idea of what is the value of manure now that it must be treated more or less as a "waste". We all know that it's not totally a waste because of the nutrient value and a good soil conditioner but the fact remains they do have to dispose of it. The fact they want to use our land to increase their land base for additional spreading must also be worth something! So - the question is "what is manure worth?"

I would think that you would be saving some fertilizer cost, so perhaps you can factor that into the value.

Comment

Though I don't know what it might be worth, just thought I would warn you not to allow them to spread manure too often as the phosphorus load in the soil quickly builds up (as it only gets used at a fraction the rate of nitrogen) and could possibly contaminate your aquifer. Advice given to me by Robert Krentz in Grunthal, MB.

Comment

emrald1 - I wonder if there would really be any savings because the outfit that approached me wanted $60.00 per tandem load. If it takes three loads/ac. thats expensive fertilizer even for irrigated land like ours. The other outfit that offered us manure wants $15.00/ton. Both seem very expensive as we normally spend approx. $75.00/ac for commercial fertilizer. I know nothing about rates/ac. or the number of tons a tandem spreader would hold. Anyone with that experience - I would appreciate your comments. There's got to be a good side to this but I can't believe the cost.

Comment

15444 - There's a gov't group plus people from the Lethbridge research station doing a watershed study in this area and from what I've read in their reports some of the problems with high N and Phos are already showing up here where they have been spreading manure for years.

Comment

gopher,
            Tandem McKee spreaders around here haul 12-15 tons of black dirt or 8-10 tons in strawy manure. The guy that wants to charge $15 a ton is way dearer than the other guy. I've thought about this a lot as we have a feedlot 4-5 miles away that is stacking manure because they don't have enough land to spread it on. The depleted soils in this area would really benefit from the organic matter but it costs too much to haul it. I could have this manure free if I paid the haulage. Corral cleaners charge $90 hour for a loader and $70 hour for a spreader so if you only get two loads an hour per truck it adds up! The other thing that annoys me is these corral cleaners can't spread s*** to save their lives. I always get lumps that need the FEL to move them before I can harrow it. If it was farmland it would be less of a problem. I want to find an economical way to access this fertility but thus far haven't figured it out.

Comment

Hopefully the feedlot is aware that they need an authorization under AOPA for long term manure storage.

gopher, I would check with Elite Swine in Strathmore and see what sort of agreement they have with owners of spreading lands. They have large hog operations in various locations and I am sure they likely have a standard agreement regarding spreading. I realize that there is a vast difference between cattle manure and hog manure but the agreements may be similar. You could check with Trevor Wallace from AAFRD as well, and see if he has any idea of what a manure spreading agreement should include or cost etc.

Comment

For any of you that happen to live near Lloydminster there is a presentation on Wednesday at Rivercourse Hall commencing at 1:30, dealing with manure management and the AOPA legislation.

Comment

We live where theres a few feedlots around some of the neighbors really swear by the maure though the cost to spread if I remember correctly worked out to 65-80 acre, the lots hauled and piled the manure for free I have heard comments about compaction issues though from no-tillers that sure din't like the was the spreader trucks packed the ground especially on spring applications.

We had a lot approach us as we do have a failry good sized land based, I asked the fellow who phoned if they could ensure it was fusarium free they haven't phoned back its been four years............ be careful sometimes free can be really expensive.

Comment

If the feedlots are running out of land to spread manure on they will have to view the manure as a cost, and at some point will come and offer to spread it on your land for free. Manure has many wonderfull properties for grainland and it it was applied for free it would be a no brainer at my place, it would be applied.

The fusarium thing is all smoke and mirrors, if the closest feedlot's manure has fusarium in it, then every field it is spread on will add fusarium into the air and will get to your fields anyway. If its there, you will get it.

If the feedlot spreads manure on your land for free, I think it would be reasonable that you will have to incorporate it youself, or pay to have that done.

Comment

Emrald1, like many feedlots these days the one I speak of has more immediate concerns than AOPA legislation.

Comment

grassfarmer, I think that a lot of feedlot operators and cow/calf producers aren't aware of the legislation and how it affects their operation. Too often, the first contact confined feeding operations have with the legislation is a visit from an inspector responding to a complaint. I think that the various commodity organizations have put significant resources into getting their membership up to speed on the legislation. When the water act was first passed it was all greek to most people, and it took a lot of educating on the part of municipalities, etc., to ensure that producers registered their water supplies.

Comment

I agree totally that manuare is more of an expense than a benefit when the cost of machinery and time is factored in to it's benefits on the land. If I was offered to have my manuare taken away I would "give it" to the prospective person, no charge just get it out of here, if that gives you any idea of how much you should "pay for it." Lately (last 5 years) with manuare being such a nusience to factor into costs, I've fed cows on the ground out in the field and let them spread it, so far working out well and saving me a bundle. But I have manuare to give away if you want to move it, good rotted stuff too! Have a good day all!

Comment

Just a note if you are looking at manure and want to manage your risk and understand what you are getting for your money, look into having the manure tested. A good representative sample can undergo the basic N,P,K,S and moisture analysis for about $45. If someone wants to sell/give it to you, they should be prepared to at least pay for this basic requirement.
                            Check out Envirotest or one of the other labs that test or contact your local agronomist.

Comment

Gee thanks! I offer to give the _____ away and I'm told I still have to pay a test! What a champ!

Just kidding with you!
                              Have a good night all!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...