• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look at What They are Doing in the U.S.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at What They are Doing in the U.S.

Got this from Animalnet. Although Canadian producers are quick to point out that we are ahead of the U.S. in identifying our cattle, it is all about enforcing regulations and not about adding any value. This program in South Dakota has the potential to add value for the producer who voluntarily enrolls in the program.

SD first state-certified beef
    March 14, 2005
    Lean Trimmings
    Edited by Dana Downie
    The first state-certified beef program was signed into law by the governor of South Dakota last week. Only cattle with electronic identification tags that are raised and slaughtered according to program standards in South Dakota will qualify for the official state seal, which features an image of Mount Rushmore National Memorial. Consumers who buy beef with the seal of "South Dakota Certified Beef" will be able to source animal's statistics on a website: ranch of birth, feedlot and meatpacking plant. The South Dakota Certified Beef Program website http://www.southdakotacertifiedbeef.com/ says its mission is "to add value to South Dakota Beef Products using State verified protocols that raise the standards of local beef production to provide safety and product quality assurances to discriminating consumers."

Where do I sign up?
    This is exactly what has had me so upset about things up here even prices when I talked to them aren't going to start out this way, as they should be.

SOMEBODY give me a packing plant /value chain alternative that does this and I am IN both in production and investment.
    Makes me so frustrated that all we can do is talk I admit I don't have the CV to operate a plant like this but there has to be someone out there that is. And why the hell doesn't Ted Haney and the boys have a similiar deal already going in Alberta.
    Come on ABP delegates if any of you read this do you like being behind in everything???

Comment

The Peace Country Tender Beef Coop is offering similar detail and information on their products. I am a little wary of them having been to a presentation. Good producers behind it with their hearts in the right place but too many "consultants" that BS without knowing anything about the industry.
      Realistically it is suited to producers in the Peace region because of distances involved. Here was a proposal though that offered a similar program to the S Dakota one - and they were driven out of Alberta into BC - because Cargill and Tyson would not allow competition in this Province.

Comment

Here's a link for everybody, it is possible today with technology, you just have to get some of these new packing plants starting up to "buy in".

http://www.viewtrak.com/

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...