• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Border closed for another 5 months if USDA does nothing.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border closed for another 5 months if USDA does nothing.

A court date for the trial of USDA vs. R-CALF has been set for sometime in August. Border guaranteed to be closed for another 5 months if USDA sits with their thumbs up their @$$*$ and does not file an appeal in the next 50 days.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1111067290566_35/?hub=Canada

usda has demonstrated very well over the last fifteen months that they know how politically expedient it is to let the border closure drag on and r-calf can take the heat for it. we're dealing with lying sob's down there on every side so maybe we should suck it up and take care of ourselves.

Comment

We are all getting a lesson in politics. Always say yes,yes,yes even if you mean no. It gives you more time.

Comment

Trial date is June 24.
        http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1111067290566_35?hub=topstories

Comment

Trial date for the <b>Canadian Cattlemen for Free Trade vs. NAFTA</b> set for <u>June 24.</u>

Reuters now saying that the trial date for <b>USDA vs. R-CALF</b> is <u>July 27.</u>

Comment

Thanks for the info, Aaron. Good to be informed even though I don't know what I wish for any more. Have a good day all!

Comment

It is not quite accurate to say the border is guaranteed to be closed for another 5 months if the USDA does not appeal Richard Cebull's injunction. The NMA appeal of that injunction will be heard March 28. If that appeal is successful the border could open immediately thereafter and R-Calf could be required to post a multi million dollar bond to see their lawsuit against the USDA continue. The USDA may very well decide to just wait and see what happens with the NMA appeal before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Comment

I predict the border to stay closed for the remainder of 2005.

Hope I am wrong - and I have nothing but gut feel.

2006 before we see anything go south. Maybe - just maybe - longer.

Bez

Comment

farmers_son, that's a lot of 'if's' and 'maybe's'

Comment

Guess I should bite my tongue now after that last comment. USDA filed it's appeal today.

Comment

Appeals / delays / injuctions / further closures from Cebull or others like him / legal wrangling / court dates pushed back / legal preparation / scheduling conflicts - all can combine to make this a long and drawn out proposition.

If the case goes to trial and the outcome is in our favour, I would predict even further legal problems within a couple of days to push the border opening back.

Nothing is simple when it ends up in court.

Appeals can be filed at any time but in the end the case will only procede when all of the players line up on the ice.

It will take only a couple of requests from either side to even further delay it.

There are methods which are perfectly legal, that can slow things down and delay final outcomes for months.

My hopes for a speedy resolution are not there yet.

Bez

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...