• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Good News....Canadians Admire Farmers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Good News....Canadians Admire Farmers

Politicians, car salespeople mistrusted: poll

Canadian Press

MONTREAL — Politicians and automobile vendors continued to fare poorly in a poll of the most admired professions, while firefighters, nurses and farmers still were among the most trusted.

The Leger Marketing poll conducted March 1-8 suggested that 16 per cent of Canadians trusted politicians, two percentage points higher than their level in a similar poll a year ago.

Car salespeople were trusted by 18 per cent, one point down from last year.

Firefighters equalled last year's 97 per cent, while nurses (94), farmers (91), doctors (89) and teachers (88) rounded out this year's top five.

The poll of 1,500 Canadians is considered accurate within 2.6 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Regionally, the percentage of respondents who trusted politicians was: the Atlantic provinces, 19; Ontario, 17; Quebec and British Columbia, 16; Alberta 13; and Manitoba and Saskatchewan, 12.

The margin of error for the regional samples is higher.

The survey also suggested that trust for three professions has dropped by at least 10 percentage points since Leger began conducting the annual survey in 2002.

They are notaries (to 71 per cent from 82), senior public servants (to 45 from 56) and publicists (to 37 from 47).

Lawyers weren't far off the pace, slipping to 45 per cent from 54 per cent in 2002.

Nice to know that those most important to one's life are the most treasured.

I think that to many people farmers are seen to be solid, dependable folk whose word is as good as their handshake.

Comment

In several studies that I'm aware of, farmers are the most trusted source of information when it comes to food.

All the more reason we need to keep getting a positive message with success stories out in front of the public.

Comment

AMEN to that Linda, and through good times and bad we still need to portray a positive image of the work done by those involved in the industry.

Comment

The problem is that to most of the people asked, their idea of a farmer is Old McDonald with 100 acres, an old open tractor, a few cows and 50 chickens. Ask their opinion of somebody running a 3000 head hog finishing barn, 400 beef cows or 5000 acres of grain and I bet the answer is completely different.

Comment

dalek you are probably right, although 400 cows isn't a huge operation these days. Likely mom and dad and maybe one of the kids, not hardly a corporate farm by any means.
            Several of my neighbours run in excess of 450 cows in their herds and small backgrounding operations and do it with only family help plus one extra hand at calving time. If the average person that thinks farming is still the ma and pa kettle variety they should follow us around this week in a foot of new snow and cows calving all over hells half acre !!! But we are still trustworthy, nice folks even if we are cussing the weather !!!

Comment

That was my point Emrald. Any of the operations I mentioned are getting to be just enough work (if that) for a young family.

Comment

That was my point Emrald. Any of the operations I mentioned are getting to be just enough work (if that) for a young family.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...