• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grazing corn...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grazing corn...

Just curious if any of you have any experience with grazing corn. We have talked about using it, but have sort of cooled on the idea. With our climate it looks a tad too risky and with the price of N a tad too pricy for us to pursue.
    Thoughts?

Seems to be the general concensus with anyone I've talked to as well. Doesn't pencil out unless you have one hell of a crop. But, I've never tried it myself, and have no intention.

Comment

Not enough heat units to consider it.
      Too many input suppliers involved to consider it.

Comment

grew it and it grew well this year. fed cows at 69cents a day. But won't do it again. Swath grazing did well this year too and was cheaper and less stressful.If you really want some info, we'll chat later.........

Comment

I grew corn for this grazing season I got seven weeks feed for 150 cows on 25 acres in southern sask I was impressed. the cows ate it like candy and put on a lot of weight. Iam planting 65 acres this year.

Comment

The Daines family graze about 150 cows just north of Innisfail every year on the same piece of land. Cows were still out grazing last week and look to be in very good condition. A very clean crop...I assume it is Roundup ready corn?
            My cousin has grazed corn the last two years until Jan. 15 and he really likes it. He starts calving right about then.

Comment

We've been doing it for three years now. We're going to keep on doing it too. Costs worked out to about 50 cents a day per cow, but we didn't have to lay a whole lot of fertilizer on it though. We use the corn field for spreading manure when we can, and the cows leave a lot of fresh stuff down when they're grazing as well. LOL

We have tried Canamaize, but have better luck with roundup ready. We get a neighbour to seed it, and then go over it once with the roundup. If you can keep the weeds down until the corn forms a canopy, they won't cause any problems after that.

We turn the cows and calves both out on the corn for a couple of weeks after we get them home, and even nursing big calves, you can see the cows putting the weight on.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...