• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friends like these?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friends like these?

With friends like these who needs enemies?
    List of defeated resolutions from the ABP AGM in December. How can defeating all these resolutions be seen to further the interests of beef producers in this province?

2. “BE IT RESOLVED ABP SUPPORT AND EMBRACE VOLUNTARY BSE TESTING WHERE REQUIRED BY A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER, TO OPEN MARKET ACCESS WORLDWIDE.” - Defeated

3. “BE IT RESOLVED ABP ASK CCA, CBEF, AND THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO ASK THE JAPANESE AND ANY OTHER POTENTIAL CANADIAN BEEF IMPORTING COUNTRIES IF THEY WOULD ACCEPT BEEF TESTED FOR BSE AT THEIR STANDARDS.” - Defeated

4. “BE IT RESOLVED ABP AGGRESSIVELY LOBBY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO OFFICIALLY AND OPENLY POSE THE QUESTION TO ALL THE ASIAN MARKETS WE COURT: IF WE TEST CANADIAN BEEF TO YOUR SPECIFICATIONS, BOTH OTM AND UTM, WOULD YOU ACCEPT THAT PRODUCT ON THE BASIS OF FAIR TRADE PRACTICES?” - Defeated

9. “BE IT RESOLVED ABP INSTALLS A COW/CALF COUNCIL THAT REPORTS REGULARLY ABOUT THE ECONOMIC PROSPECTS OR LACK THEREOF FOR COW/CALF PRODUCERS.” - Defeated

10. “BE IT RESOLVED ABP EXPLORE THE POSSIBILITY THAT 30% OF THE AGE VERIFIED PREMIUM RETURN TO THE PRIMARY PRODUCER.” - Defeated

13. “BE IT RESOLVED ABP LOBBY CCIA TO HARMONIZE THE COST OF RFID TAGS BETWEEN PRODUCERS IN VARIOUS PROVINCES.” - Defeated

14. “BE IT RESOLVED ABP LOBBY CCA AND THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO SUPPLY RFID TAGS TO PRODUCERS AT NO COST IN ORDER TO ENHANCE THE HEALTH AND THE INTEGRITY OF CANADA’S FOOD CHAIN SAFETY AS THEY DID WITH THE BRUCELLOSIS TAGS IN THE PAST.” - Defeated

16. “BE IT RESOLVED ABP LOBBY TO REIMBURSE PRODUCERS, EQUAL TO WHAT OTHER PROVINCES HAVE DONE, FOR SWITCHING RFID TAGS ON BREEDING FEMALES.” - Defeated

OK, so some of them aren't going to lead anywhere but surely it's worth trying?

So, who the heck is running your abp anyway?!??!!!?? Most, if not all, of these resolutions should be passed in order for the cow/calf and purebred sectors to survive/thrive! Are there really differences between the cost of rfid tags from province to province??? Say What???!??
    What about the resolutions you did not list (ie: missing numbers in your report?)

Comment

Well I guess the majority has spoken? Doesn't every producer get to vote for their delegate? And didn't the delegates vote on these things?
      Thats democracy...as we know it! Isn't the majority always right?

Comment

Cedar, I only listed the defeated resolutions and left out the ones that were passed to make it easier to read. Who runs ABP? suspicion is the Alberta Government and anyone influencing them ie packers - it certainly isn't grass roots cow/calf producers.

Cowman,
        Every producer gets to vote for their delegate and the delegates vote on these things as you say. But this is not democracy at work it is a non-functioning democracy at work. I post threads like this to hopefully wake up producers to what is going on. Canadians have got comfortable and lazy in their complacent democracy - contrast that to people in countries that have been run by dictatorships or communist regimes. These people cherish their right to participate and vote because they realise the value of a democracy.

Comment

grassfarmer, there is a new Ag Minister, and if enough producers share your opinion, now is the time to lobby the new Minister to the effect that ABP does NOT speak for the cow/calf industry. I suggest that you send the list of defeated resolutions with an accompanying letter to the attention of the Minister, and request a meeting with him. Then take Randy and a few others that can speak to the issue and explain your concern isn't just on your own behalf but that of the continued viability of the cow/calf producer.

Comment

Grassfarmer: I hope you are not suggesting your friends have to always agree with you.

I am confident you know you could have run for ABP delegate.

The resolutions you list only deal with four topics, BSE testing, cow calf council, a mandate that government force anyone paying a premium for age verified to the producer of the calf, and subsidies for ear tags.

On the topic of age verified premium, presently I am getting 100% of the premium on my home raised calves which I have kept to slaughter weight and sold directly. I would suggest that anyone who wants that premium can do the same. That $30 a head premium makes it so any cow calf producer can be competitive with the big lots who are not as able to get the age verified premium as I can as a comparatively small producer. Why settle for only a portion of the premium when you can have that whole $30. Cow calf guys really need to consider retaining ownership of their calves to slaughter weight. Just my opinion.

There are arguments on both sides of BSE testing as I am sure you know.

Subsidized ear tags...That could be have done but wasn't. The BSE surveillance program is 100% subsidized but does not include providing the producers ear tags. I gather that other provinces did on a limited basis for a specific situation. My preference has always been to associate the tag with some value such as carcass feedback. However I am getting paid for age verified because of the tag so I am happy with that. I remember buying blue ear tags years ago that gave my carcass feedback and they cost $5 each which we did not mind paying.

In years past the bangs tag was subsidized along with a test and the cost of the vet coming out to the farm. I think you are forgetting, or you were not in Alberta at that time, but the real cost to the producer of the Bangs program was the cost of running all the cattle through a chute so they could be blood tested which the cows did not appreciate one little bit. We had to buy a chute which even in those days was a $1000 and run the cattle through several times. And there was always the fear that we would have a positive and the whole herd slaughtered. Yes the little metal tag was free but there were costs just the same.

I believe the cost of equipment to read the RFID tags is subsidized if you want to do that which would make the tags more useful to you.

Cow calf council is an interesting idea. It could very well come up again at this fall's meeting and pass. Maybe you could consider running for delegate and your vote might make the difference.

Comment

And you guys have the nerve to laugh at R-Calf !Sounds like you canucks couldn't organise a two car parade.No wonder you want to ride free on the American gravy train.

Comment

Willowcreek: You are an old sh*# disturber! LOL
                I understand grassfarmers frustration! The apathy in this country is something else!
                I personally agree with just about every resolution the ABP turned down!
                So why then am I apathetic? Because I've been there, done that! If this BSE garbage never got anybody off their butts, nothing will! Sad, but true.

Comment

Not sure just how that last post came across...I think the resolutions were good and don't agree with the ABP take on them?

Comment

Coppertop, We had a meeting arranged with the new AG minister this coming week but it has now been rescheduled. For my $100 membership of the NFU I get to sit at the table with the new ag minister (just as I did with Horner) and discuss matters of concern to me.
                    With ABP I pay several hundred dollars a year through checkoff yet my representatives in that organisation vigorsly fight (and refuse to act on)any propopsals I ask them to raise with Government.
                    Folks like Cowman dismiss the NFU as an organisation that no-one listens to, well they represent my interests better than ABP do because ABP absolutely refuses to represent my interests. I proposed the resolution regarding the cow/calf council in my zone and had it passed, only to meet the usual reception at the AGM - clearly the power base of the ABP is no longer the cow/calf producer. The shame is that ABP is considered by the Alberta Government as THE representative of Alberta beef producers. The majority of Alberta beef producers must rise up and change this ridiculous system if our lot is ever to improve.

Comment

grassfarmer, I too, have proposed resolutions at zone meetings, and had them passed. One was extremely important to this area, so I contacted the ABP resolutions chairman and advised that I wished to speak to the resolution at the AGM. Prior to the AGM, the resolution was divided into two parts, I spoke to one, and our ag fieldman spoke to the other. One passed and one did not, but at least I had my opportunity to speak to the membership.

I have attended numerous ABP events over the years, and John Prentice, who is referenced on another post, always ensured that I was made to feel welcome, introduced me to many people within the organization etc.

I do hope that your meeting with the new minister goes well, there is also a new deputy which may help. The Minister needs to be asked how producers get their message across if their commodity organization is not doing it for them.

Comment

Coppertop: I am not as confident as you that speaking to government will do Grassfarmer or anyone that much good. I realize from other posts that you assisted Ed Stelmach in his leadership bid.

But the fact remains that this is the same government with the same MLA's as we had before. Certainly everyone needs a chance to prove themselves and Stelmach and the new cabinet are enjoying a honeymoon period. However it is my opinion that rural Alberta has been suffering from serious neglect for quite a while now and I remain skeptical that anything will be done about it.

It seems that we are looking for solutions from the same government that has been in power for over 30 years and caused the neglect in the first place.

Comment

Farmers_son, I'm aware I could have run as a candidate in the ABP elections but I chose not to. I feel my time and efforts can be better spent in other ways. I have seen good people elected to ABP and watched them be neatly sidelined into a side committee where they can pass their time quietly without getting the chance to influence the organisation the way they wanted to.
                          In my opinion there is a major lack of democracy within this organisation and only a massive change to it's structure, people and aims will satisfy me. It is clear this can only be brought about by a massive show of protest from producers. I have mentioned before that apathy is our biggest problem, but it may not be insurmountable.

I had the pleasure to hear a great speaker talk last month about democracy and the majority rule which altered the way I think. He highlighted how there was a massive change in Government policy in Western Europe in the 1980's brought about by those in the "peace movement". What started out as a small protest by a handful of "way out" anti-war protesters campaigning against the continued stationing of US CRUSE missiles on European soil after the threat of Eastern Block attack had cleary diminished grew very slowly until they reached a certain momentum. The crucial point he was making was that it didn't take 55% of the popular vote or even 50% to change Government thinking it took 16%. 16% is the magic number as 70% of every electorate are like a bunch of sheep with no clear views or beliefs. The remaining 30% have strong beliefs but are usually split into two differing opinions. The day you can persuade 16% of the electorate to share your opinion and demonstrate it through visible means, ie the media, protests, letters etc the battle is won.
                          This was the case in Europe from the day that 16% of the population clearly said we want change they were suddenly 66% of the electorate and no Government can ignore that. Soon no Government in Western Europe would allow the continued stationing of US nuclear missiles on their soil. Time has proven this wise as the Cold War came to an end and the communist veil was lifted over Eastern Europe.
                          I will continue chipping away trying to get that 16% from outside the confines of ABP thank you very much.

Comment

Farmers_son, I agree with your last post - I don't think ABP are the direct cause of some of our industries problems - the Alberta Government certainly is. But we must explore all options including speaking to the minister.

Comment

farmers_son, I would not be doom and gloom, we have a new cabinet, many of the old faces are now on the back bench, and we have a very rural cabinet, that does understand the agriculture industry.
                              I think the main thing is to advise the minister of issues, ask provide positive suggestions on how to deal with them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...