• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flax tidbits

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flax tidbits

From this weeks agriweek

<b>Flax export outlook for Europe deteriorates</b>

Fanatic European regulations threaten Canada’s flax industry

Canadian flax was officially banned from entering Europe last week, until further notice, due to the discovery last month of unapproved GMO material in two Canadian flax cargoes. The ban is not expected to be permanent, but it comes at the time of year when shipments usually peak before closure of the St. Lawrence Seaway for the winter. From the point of view of European flax users, Canadian supply has suddenly become unreliable. Since there are few other sources of linseed flax, European usage is likely to drop, with possible long-term consequences.

<B>German authorities who made the discovery have refused to share details of the test results with Canadian officials. The tests could be very suspect.</b> According to the Plant Biotechnology Institute in Saskatoon, which developed the GMO variety Triffid, which is now causing the trouble, <b>there is no specific test to identify the presence of this material.</b> A late report said the German government has agreed to co-operate with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, which is sending reference material for use with future tests, in refining its test procedures.

Canada may be able to propose a protocol to assure the EU that Canadian flax shipments in the future comply with EU requirements. A high-level meeting has been set for Oct. 19. A similar protocol facilitates U.S. rice shipments to the EU. This could mean an undertaking to test outgoing shipments to make sure they are clean. It would be expensive, time-consuming and logistically disruptive.

The Flax Council, which originally managed the process of removing all traces of Triffid flax after the decision was made not to allow commercial production, has formed a Flax Risk Management Team and created a section on its website with news of the latest developments (www.flaxcouncil.org).

<b>The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has begun to test all certified flax seed stock; no positive GMO results have turned up and none are expected.</b> The Canadian Grain Commission is doing the same for flax inventory in commercial positions, testing samples submitted from licensed facilities, to determine the nature and location of any GMO material. The Commission is also expanding its harvest survey to test producer samples of the 2009 crop, though the number of such samples could be reduced because of the consequences if Triffid traces are found.

This is turning out to be the most awkward incident to date with the European Union’s ridiculous zero tolerance rule for unauthorized and unapproved material. There is absolutely no food safety or health risk to humans or animals. International grain handling and shipping procedures cannot prevent entry of trace amounts of unapproved GMO or other material to the level of zero in any crop. As testing technology is further refined, GMO material will be increasingly identified in international shipments of all commodities. <b>Current testing methods can detect GMO material at concentrations as low as 10 parts per million, making it certain that more disruptions will occur in the future.</b> There is a sharp division of opinion in the EU over the zero tolerance rule, but even if it becomes more unanimous it could take years for the regulations to be changed.

<b>U.S. soybean exporters also remain blocked because corn dust containing traces of unapproved varieties</b> were mixed in tinyamounts in two cargoes of soybeans. One nearly instant result is a shortage of soybean meal in Europe.

The flax market has understandably collapsed in western Canada. Little or no flax is being bought and most buyers are not making offers to buy at any price. When last quoted about a week ago, Manitoba prices to the grower had fallen to $225 a tonne from $440 in June and Saskatchewan prices to about $250 from $400. Growers have no choice but to store their 2009 production until the situation is clarified. No one can say when that will be.

The plunge in prices has spurred some interest from other buyers, including China, but the needs of all other users are a fraction of what Europe normally takes.

Enlighten me!
    Is there a large supply of flax in the world? Where will the EU get supplies if they cut us out? Would this open markets else where?
    I don't grow or sell flax but am wondering if flax growers have to declare variety to CGC at time of sale like WHT.

Comment

To my knowledge there is not a whole heck of a lot of exportable flax kicking around out there. If they can't get it from us they're probably not going to get it period.

Comment

"German authorities who made the discovery have refused to share details of the test results with Canadian officials."

I wonder why that might be.

Comment

Who gave the initial test results to the EU?

http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/support-greenpeace

Comment

"The Commission is also expanding its harvest survey to test producer samples of the 2009 crop, though the number of such samples could be reduced because of the consequences if Triffid traces are found."

They're kidding.
            No?

Triffid's # is FP967 and is the only GM flax registered in the world.

Will they test organic crops hoping for better FP967 results and use them for test results?

Gonna show up on the grocery shelves eventually.

<p></p>
            <p class="EC_style8ptBK"><strong><a href=" http://parsleysnotebook.blogspot.com ">(How many countries have tested FP967 Positive?)</a></strong></p>

This is definitely not a tidbit.

This is a major bloody financial catastrophe for farmers.

The rest of the players don't pay the penalty of no-sale of a bin full of flax, boys. Pars

Comment

To my knowledge all export shipments have a representative sample held at the CGC office.
              They should be able to trace samples, do test and confirm or refute claim. They should be also able to trace origin of all shipments. This is exactally what they are trying to achieve by getting rid of inward inspection and putting the o'nus on producers.
              This will be a good test to see if this new better system works as designed. Before we have a big wreck in a Wheat shipment.

Comment

From PN:

Larry Weber said...
                Since you've taken up a fancy with Greenpeace; can you post the genetic code for Triffid flax or explain how Greenpeace came upon it or how Genetic ID or others came about the code to profess that it is Triffid flax with 100% certainty?

Or does your research start and end on the Internet?

October 2, 2009 8:53 AM

Now keep your farmer hat on Pars and phone:

Ritz
                Hermanson
                Bjornrud

Ask to speak to them directly - not a bureaucrat.

I'll ask again:

Who has the genetic code to determine that this is Triffid flax?

Your statement:
                Triffid's # is FP967 and is the only GM flax registered in the world.

Have there been unregistered GM varieties grown anywhere in the world besides Canada?

Comment

Whether Canada likes it or not, once you go on EU's rapid alert system, there is a EU entry problem.

Period.
                  <p></p>
                  <p class="EC_style8ptBK"><strong><a href="https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasff-window/portal/index.cfm?event=notificationsList">(The EU has a Rapid Alert Registry which Notifies the World which products are problematic. Random testing.)</a></strong></p>
                  Flax went on their system because it was found in food.On the shelves. Lawsey. They can find GM material on their shelves. Canada couldn't find melamine in our ice cream cone if we gagged on it.

We can scream at them. Borrow a CGC stool to stand on if it makes you feel better.

Now, my point is slamming our EU buyers is not going to bring more sales. Telling them what they SHOULD want won't work. Pars

Comment

I read somewhere that Russia was selling some flax to Europe but only had 100,000 tonnes or so. Odds and sods from other countries might be possible too.

Comment

Anyone know what the price for flaxseed in the EU is at, now that they've cut off imports from Canada? is the USA included in this restriction?

Comment

The point I have always made is that Triffid, or find another culprit if you want, is the dog Europeans want to kick for ending up eating what they don't want to eat, and didn't buy.

Triffid is going to take the skicking for this one, Weber, code or no code. Triffid is flax's bad boy. Registered or deregistered.

And...

Triffid = Canada.

And even if we have defined the code and can recite it verbatum, it's not a plus for ANY marketer. Neither was mad cow disease.

<p></p>
                        <p class="EC_style8ptBK"><strong><a href="http://parsleysnotebook.blogspot.com/2009/09/canadians-wringing-hands-over-gmo.html">(ruined markets.)</a></strong></p>

Comment

And if I were a commercial seller of mustard,right now, I would be piddling my pants.

&lt;p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
                          &lt;p class=&quot;EC_style8ptBK&quot;&gt;&lt;strong&gt;[URL="http://parsleysnotebook.blogspot.com/2009/10/worldwide-triffid-flax-pollution-and.html"](Triffid code?)[/URL]&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

Comment

Europe is being europe.

If i was in charge of canada i'd find something sensitive to them on our end and i would SQUEEZE it.

Are we in a no-bid situation on flax right now or not?

Comment

Flax prices are up in Europe right now. Other countries are looking at crushing our flax and selling the oil to Europe. It's the meal that they can't get rid of.

Sounds like there are still a few bids out there, but don't know if it's any volume.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...