• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flax tidbits

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

"tidbit" was in regards to the information not the situation.

And how the heck are we supposed to get to the bottom of this if the Germans aren't going to share with us the details of the tests.

When it comes to the EU and GMO's I'm reminded of this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1DEG6BWgp0">scene from Casablanca</a>

Comment

Ok - I'll go slowly this time...

WHAT
        EVIDENCE
        DO
        THEY
        HAVE
        THAT
        IT
        IS
        TRIFFID?

WHAT
        EVIDENCE
        DO
        YOU
        HAVE
        TO
        CLAIM
        IT
        IS
        TRIFFID?

Care to share it?

Comment

That is what I'd like to know as well.

If it's Triffid then please show us the Triffid already.

Comment

Weber,

EU Tests were done. lawsey.

Whether they are accurate, or recorded correctly, or imaginary,or translated improperly, or illegitimate, or fixed, or unfixed, wahtever you want, remember...they WERE broadcasted across the world.

Shall we call them liars?

Whether the contamination reflects shippers, or the trade, or growers, or Madonna,or the EU's mistake, the costs of this fiasco will be subsequently dealt with in lawsuits. The trade will quietly settle out of court while farmers lose markets.

And then there are farmers. Farmers can only reflect and report on what European websites state. React.

EU looked at their tests results and quit buying.

Yes they did.

You demand test proof?

If some folks doubt the tests were done correctly, and know it was a scam, a fraud, a setup, then argue until the cows come home.

I did not test anything.
            sumdumguy did not test anything.

But farmers are paying for the fallout in lost sales
            cancelled sales
            storage
            etc.

Canada is being pointed at as the culprit. Not good for my sales.

Waving a self-declared LEGITIMATE Canadian Triffid test in front of the bulleyes of the EU triffid test, will do what........cause still more bellering and pawing?

Let's really infuriate them. This is movie stuff. cott can play Triffid. He's fearless. LOL

Comment

I hope you have contributed to the Triffid Schmeisser fund...

perfect goat ...

no appearance fees - no travel costs ...

FFS... open you eyes once.

OILWORLD - OCT 02 - A German publication

In European laboratories
              the GM material was identified as FP967 or Triffid, a flax variety introduced in the late nineties.
              However, a
              recognized testing method is not yet available.

However, a

However, a

However, a

However, a

Comment

If the coalition of experts do anything worthwhile, they'd put you on a plane, Weber, and send you to Europe to speak for farmers.

Most of the experts are filled full of themselves right up to the eyebrows, some with trade and some with shipping and some with regs, and some that have experience in all of the above.

I will say this: On this website, you have always defended the farmer. And the farmers' pocketbook. And you have expertise to boot. I don't. I can only ask questions.

I would sincerely recommend sending Weber on a fix-flax mission. Pars

Comment

Maybe so, but yesterday's infraction suspect on their Rapid Alert was the 28th,

yes, 28th country

testing positive for a test that Canada questions, but has nothing better to supplant the current test with!:

01/10/2009 01/10/2009 2009.1267 DE unauthorised genetically modified (FP967 suspected) linseed used in baking mixture manufactured in Germany, with raw material from Canada, via Belgium cereals and bakery products

I don't blame Canada for being frustrated. Pars

Comment

In this case, complaining that it isn't fair won't make a bit of a difference. That said, I'd like to see the proof too.

Comment

parsley

From your last post, have these 28 incidents been at the gene level or still the gene marker? I note the term suspected and not actual in the quote. That would suggest the European lab still has not 100 % identified the source as triffid flax but could come from some other source - the genetic market can be found in nature/other crops.

Perhaps the biggest lesson to make sure that all these biotech innovations are registered in all the relevant countries when they come out. Canada likely could have worked through the European regulatory system 8 to 10 years ago for a crop that is mainly industrial and used as a livestock protein. Protocols/supply chain surveilance could have been developed for the food and organic markets.

Comment

An interesting thought is this, and I'd like you to think about it, AV farmers:

Set aside for a moment, the fact that you think Greenpeace are loonies. Sometimes I do, too.

BUT: Greenpeace wants non-GM flax for food. It doesn't have to be organic, just non-GM.

EU customers have been willing to extra dollars to pay for foodflax. More $$$$$$$$$$$$/tonne.

That benefits Canadians.
                        EU could be buyer cheaper flax.

So differentiation has divided flax sales.

Who stood to gain if the Canadian farmers' food-flax was diluted with cheaper industrial flax and sold as food flax?

1.Not EU consumers.They paid full price for diluted flax.

2.Not Can farmers. We simply sold less food-flax.

Now think about this:

If all food flax farmers argue that food flax is equally as healthy as industrial flax, haven't Canadian food flax growers just talked themselves out of commanding a premium?

Wouldn't going the OTHER way be more profitable both short term and long term, considering over 70% of EU imports shop for non GM flax? Pars

Comment

charliep
                          From their Rapid Alert sustem, this is a representative listing following being submitted suspect and THEN confirmed positive (two dates):

1. 28/09/2009 01/10/2009 2009.1256 GB unauthorised genetically modified (FP 967) linseed from Canada cereals and bakery products

I wish it wasn't FP 967 charliep

pars

Comment

However, a

However, a

However, a

However, a

However, a

Comment

"COMMENT from Prof. Joe Cummins: The situation is certainly a sad one. I am concerned with the quote "McHughen said the EU can't say for sure it has found CDC Triffid because there are other GM flax genotypes (none grown commercially) and the EU doesn't have information on them, he said."

I have been unable to locate any field test releases of GM flax other than Trifid in Canada or the USA. McHughen's cryptic comment seems to imply that unreported field tests of GM flax were done in Canada, ie that the Canadian Agriculture Ministry has allowed open field trials of GM flaxes that it did not report. That would be an abuse of the regulations which require that GM field tests be reported to the public. Secret field trials of GM crops would be dynamite in Canada. Of course, he may have meant the GM flax trialed in Poland but there is no way that could get all the way to Canada in order to pollute our flax imports.

Regarding the carry over of Trifid in the field plantings reported, it is also worth mentioning that flax seeds are frequently saved by farmers and the GM flax genes will achieve equilibrium over time in the population that they pollute. Those genes may even be selected in growing the flax in rotation with wheat that has been treated with sulphonylurea herbicides, as Triffid flax is resistant to sulphonylurea derivatives. The consequences of carry over due to planting GM flax years ago makes McHughen's promotion of the use of flax for producing biopharmacueticals or plastic monomers in the open field completely out of the question.

[Joe Cummins is Professor Emeritus of Genetics at the University of Western Ontario]
                              ---
                              UNQUOTE

Comment

Did i say SQUEEZE-i ment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66JLspp9oC8&feature=PlayList&p=719A74A5DEF 11CE1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=31

-warning graphic

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...