• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why EU Triffid Flax Trade Barriers ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The stuff that goes on behind closed doors would make you puke."

True.

No one cares about the other, do they.

I'll try not to. Pars

Comment

Parsley says, "There is, essentially, no CERTIFIED organic market for canola anymore.
      Period.

It was polluted with GM canola.
      Period."

The Globe and Mail says...

"When it comes to oil, olive is considered the gold standard. But while olive groves may not thrive in Canadian climates, canola plants sure do. And about 20 minutes south of Calgary, on his Highwood Crossing farm, Tony Marshall produces an oil some consider just as delectable: organic Canadian cold-pressed canola."

Read the rest here.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/organic-cold-pressed-canola-oil-competes-for-the-spotlight-with-gold-standard-olive-oil/article1175917/

Comment

As I addressed this before, and I will repeat it again, there is the odd exception for a small isolated field somewhere. But there is no certified organic export market left for canola.
        Pars

Comment

People like Pars who have to spread fear and innuendo in order to market their product are starting to piss me off. Most organic farmers I know are good guys just trying to cash in on a premium market. But for a the few militant blow-hards, that feel they need to bad mouth what the rest of us produce in order to grow their market share, this is nothing but pure fiscal opportunism (EU bureaucrats included).

Pars is fond of stating that the consumer is always right, well 99% of the consumers out there buy non-organic product. Why is that. Is it because they are wrong? No it is because they recognize fear and hype for what it is, fear and hype. Our food system is safer than is has ever been in the history of mankind not because of the organic industry, but in-spite of it.

Thank your god for evolution and technological progress, because if it weren't for these, we would all be shivering in caves...or dead. Now go be afraid somewhere else, because the rest of us have a planet to feed.

Comment

Hmm, people are able to grow, process, and sell the stuff in Canada, but no one from another country would ever buy it. Riiiiight.

Comment

And what about organic corn and soybeans? Must be tough to grow and sell those too. Lets have a look in Ontario.

According to the Canadian Organic Growers association, they cultivated 3,993 acres of corn in 2003. In 2006, that amount had increased to 4,760 acres.

Soybeans, there were 12,857 acres in 2003, and 16,634 acres in 2006.

They must just be throwing those crops in the ditch after harvest, no one would buy organic corn and soybeans from Canadians after all.

Comment

The organic market was based upon real demand, albeit small. Not fear. Not educating anyone. Not tax dollar welfare. Not "programs'. No PR campaigns.

Not intimidation either, from behind some pen name.

You sound like exactly like the CWB apparently did thirty years ago, and exhibit that same era's attitude. You'll treat kosher the same? And export buyers? With any luck, you won't work on segregation committees, and there will be some.

GM issues are too important to be stifled by blowfish. There are a lot of issues coming down the tube with some of the novel traits, and farmers should be able to discuss them openly and freely. Ethics are a very important part of this process. And one that needs to be examined by farmers.

In the meantime, if you don't like the reading material, click off to a blank page. Your mind should be at ease there. Pars

Comment

As the article says, Fran, "Only a few producers are making this culinary canola"

There used to be a fellow in ND with a small press, but I believe he changed to flax. Small quantities tho. Pars

Comment

"Not fear." But you wouldn't touch my whole flax, (well, not unless you needed it for seed after overselling your $60.00 stuff off) with a ten foot pole. Not even with a ten to the sixth power, pole because you're afraid of the unknown, remote chances of harm at whatever exponential power, could outweigh the established good it would do for you. And that's not fear? Come on! My organic friends phoned a few hours ago looking for moose hunting territory to tap out the licence of their friend. They are looking forward to chowing down on a, freely given, moose roast. And you, eater, wouldn't last 40 days, even with your pike catching abilities, if you thought hard enough that the damn thing might bite you back.

Comment

There is a big difference between "a few" and saying there are "none" because it is impossible. It's not as impossible as you suggested.

Here's another inconvenient truth about organic canola. There also hasn't been a heck of a lot of it being grown in Australia in the last decade either even though up until just now the country has been GM free.

Dr. Chris Preston of the University of Adelaide has been investigating this. He’s concluded that the reason why is that the organic version of canola is not very competitive against weeds, is a high user of sulphur and has to contend with a large number of insect pests. Additionally, it is plagued by blackleg and sclerotinia, significant fungal diseases.

I know organic folks like to tell their kids bedtime stories about GM canola but those stories are as mythical as CWB premiums.

Comment

My understanding is that all canola genetic events are registered in Europe. These genetic technologies are run through the European regulatory system and approved. The reason is to insure that canola/canola residue (read dockage) can be found in other crops like wheat and as long as it falls within the EU tolerances (yes there are tolerances other than zero for GE crops in the EU). This is too prevent the issues around soybeans imports with unregistered corn varieties in the dockage/admix.

Comment

For what it is worth, here is the European Food Safety authority for approving genetically modified organisms.

[URL="http://www.efsa.europa.eu/EFSA/efsa_locale-1178620753812_1178621456978.htm"]efsa gmo[/URL]

The following shows a diagram which explains the EU regulatory process and the role of the EFSA.

<a href="http://www.efsa.europa.eu/cs/BlobServer/resource_EFSA/panels/gmo/gmoauthorisation.pdf?ssbinary=true">efsa role</a>

Comment

to much I know but below is a Q and A on EFSA policy/procedures on GMO. some of the questions about what happened to Triffid flax are likely answered in points 19 (EFSA only provides judgements on positive outcomes) and 21 (use of nptII as a genetic marker).

[URL="http://www.efsa.europa.eu/EFSA/efsa_locale-1178620753812_1178621185493.htm"]q & a[/URL]

Comment

<p></p>
                              <p class="EC_style8ptBK"><strong>[URL="http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2003:268:0001:0023:EN:PDF"]( EU legislation)[/URL]</strong></p>

Comment

Not true checking. I eat all kinds of food. And not a whoosey woman.And you know that. And not scared to eat your flax, either. And not scared to cook grouse, or rabbit or moose or elk. Or wild mushrooms.

I'm not a fanatic, although I realize some have a vested interest to paint me with a fanatical brush.

The GM issue should be discussed.
                                I am particularly interested in segregation of shipping and food. Others will be in varieties. In recall.

Those farmers who are so scared of stepping out of "line". Scared to ask questions. Scared to doubt OR question the mouth that lies to them, OR tells the truth to them, lol, will not enjoy farming styled for farmers.

Which ones try to keep farmers in line? "one line of thinking" syndrome is probably the most important issue of all.

I don't think farmers have to flock into two separate idea-barns, although it's a good tool for getting votes.

We can agree, as well as not. Pars

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...