• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the mustard market drop because of EU GM issues?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parsley do you actually sell small grains?
    You should be bragging about our clean air environment that our crops are grown in, we are what we eat and also plants are what they eat, clean water from the sky, not poison from some river system or from Chinese polution. I can remember my old neighbor yapping about how he waited for a big wind and dusted his whole quarter section from one side plus destoyed all the local town gardens. And laughed at how the town people were talking about how their gardens died. Were probably still suffering cancer from them days. That is not agriculture today. We use gps and any chemicals we put on are put on more precisely and with less evaporation to the air.

Comment

I appreciate your comments haveapulse.

A working group who want to actually MARKET is extremely important. The key. Why not form one on AV?

1. Varied players. And ask people who get things done.

2. Need a farm voice. But a stong one. Not somebody that will cave because they are scared to piss off the trade.

3.Need people who want things to run as efficiently as possible in the cheapest way.

4. Need to consider all views. Organic and conventional. You can alienate the likes of Greenpeace or try and work them in. Work on good will. Throw 'them' and 'us' out the door.

5. Segregation is one area that begs attention.

Someone else add ideas. pars

Comment

Correct.
        GT73 is the cross to bear.

Perceived or real.

It hurts both organic and conventional.
        Capice?

Segregation, if sincere and planned, should soothe both.
        Pars

Comment

Ok Pars you have me curious. You've mentioned segregation a couple of times now. Can you elaborate on what you have in mind? Segregation of what from what?

Comment

Small grains?

Well some are quite tiny. Mustard, flax, etc
            And some are large. Beans, sainfoin(seed looks like a mini-perogy!)

Used to grow some really small seeds, including poppy seed,and caraway, and fenugreek,etc

and some large seed, incl black garbonzos, northern beans, etc, but no more.

Most time is spent writing novels and books. My choice. I do not combine anymore. No more feeding cows. I am your lazy Pars

Comment

gt73 is one of the first glyphosate tolerant varieties of canola registered.
              Some 16 years ago. Pars do you think conventional growers should not grow canola within 4 miles of your organic fields? Or you should compensate them for not being able to grow canola within 4 miles of your fields?

Comment

coleville,

I will reply tommorow. I need to finish answering a batch of emails, and then indulge in a deliciously warm shower before I hit the sheets.
                Until then, Pars

Comment

One of the accusations is the cross breeding of canola and
                  mustard. In the 50 years western Canada has been growing
                  mustard and canola, how much outcrossing has occurred? From
                  what I know, brown mustard is still brown mustard. Oriental is
                  still oriental. Canola is canola. Recently, specialty oil canola is
                  still specialty oil canola. The system is able to move this product
                  through the system in a way that meets most customers needs.
                  That would indicate to me that there is limited outcrossing and
                  most farms are very careful about things like crop rotations and
                  keeping stored separately in clean bins.

A thing a farmer would see is round up resistant mustard in their
                  fields if they have been outcrossing with the round up ready
                  canola.

Also note the three issues that most have brought up on
                  genetically engineered crops are detection (can it be identified),
                  segregation (Parsley can talk to this) and tolerances. I will add a
                  fourth which Parsley has mentioned in another thread and that is
                  traceability.

Comment

"Pars do you think conventional growers should not grow canola within 4 miles of your organic fields"

They SHOULD be able to grow canola.

But one of the segregation solutions would be encouraging neighbors to discuss with each other, some of their cropping patterns.

Not only organic/conv
                    You seem to want to go one versus the other.

Conventional Linoleum flax growers not growing in the field next to his Conventional food flax neighbor. Agreeing to it if they can. Cuts risk. Isn't segregation about risk?

Won't be perfect, but can be part of helping segregation.

Cowboys fix and check fences tog all the time. Neighbors are a wonderful invention. Make more of them. Pars

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...