• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traceability

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traceability

<p></p><p class="EC_style8ptBK"><strong>[URL=" http://parsleysnotebook.blogspot.com/2009/10/should-food-traceability-costs-be-paid.html"](Is OnTrace your cup of tea?)[/URL]</strong></p>

You mention segregation and traceability be a cost of business for
    farmers? You make the point that the customer is always right in other
    threads. If this is what your customer wants full traceability systems, why
    wouldn't provide them this service as a business practice- particularly if
    they are paying you well at price premiums over the commodity stream.

If organics had a full traceability system, why can't you move any product
    you want into Europe - farm gate to processor. Then you would have no
    issue with conventional crops and GMO.

Comment

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw a European processor with the interest of his EU customer in mind come to an area farm with his sensitive testing equipment in tow, confirm this grain is pure, bring out their pressure washed containers, and arrange to have it hauled to port. No, the onus is on us to cottle to their terms of, I'll reserve the right to reject this when it arrives at my Greenpeace inspected bake shop.

They pay so well for these services in the price we receive for our raw grains, and so consistently. Lovely system that has been developed.

Comment

How do we read the Ontario system?

Stores propose they will have an audit code built in when they scan the product at their tills. Tracing the food product to its' source. Not just for organic, charliep. But for all food. Food producers pay to participate

Say, Uncle Wheatgerm, a flour company in Manitoba sells flour bags to an Ontario store. Does each batch ground incorporate the coded producer's ID# into Wheatgerms' lot#? Is that how it will be done? Who does the producer pay to obtain his coded ID?

Will Wheatgerm also pay the store? Or will the producer pay Wheatgerm? User fee? Will the fees establish and maintian a "Contamination/recall fund"?

You can see where this is going, right?(Or a wine company in Calgary supplies an Ontario store with wine made from g****s grown by four BC g**** growers.)

Questions I have:
        1. How is the price of the code the producer will need, be determined and by whom? Will it fluctuate? Annual, or onetime? or every time scanned?

2. If there is a recall, who pays? For example, in the case of mustard and flax, in the EU, there is a recall, who pays? Theycost money. The grocer will say, "There is contamination." Who would/should pay for recalling mustard jars? It can take years in court to determine fault.Good thing to plan to avoid.

As an example, the EU tested contamination. Does it go back to the producer to pay, because the seed he purchased, or because of pollination, or because of crossing, EVEN IF HE WAS UNAWARE, is contaminated and he is responsible for the contamination?

The devil is in the details. And who pays will be in the details.

**** And I'm not sure farmers have anyone working in their best interests, dotting the i's and crossing the t's.******

This is not a criticism. This is a reality I believe farmers will have to work with.

Farmers picked up the loss of deer poop, if I recall, and the CGC swept it under the table with absolutely no apology, just smoothing so they looked good. But Farmers picked up the tab in demurrage, bad PR etc. Why should farmers have had to pay? After all, farmers had already paid for cleaning at port.

Farmers will be systematically downloaded on, unless we plan, participate, and watch carefully.

Comment

charliep,

Farmed conventionally for 22 years. A farmer is a farmer.

The conventional people will do what they want to do. But my observation is that a system WILL be planned.

Few traders enjoy boatloads of unloaded grain

And dreading more.

My point is hopefully farmers will take interest AND action and be part of the process to come

Or pay for it in spades.

If they don't, they don't. Pars

Comment

Traceability doesn't necessarily deal with who pays. It is simply a mechanism for recording various attributes, quality characturistics, food safety issues, tolerances around things like GE levels, etc. at various points in the supply chain. If there is a problem in the supply chain, traceability works to quickly get to the root cause.

Responsibility/other issues including financial liability will be dealt with in the contracts along the supply chain. These issues are already in commercial contracts today whether there is traceability or not.

Perhaps one of the benefits of traceability systems is that there is very clear communication about buyer requirements - particularly if they fall outside normal government grading requirements or import regulations. Then everyone can do risk assessment and determine whether the financial benefit out weighs the costs/risk.

Comment

actually charliep, we've adhered to traceability for many many years.

The point I was making though, about traceability, was "Who pays?"

There are things that come up that are really quite head scratching.

If there is a recall, as is so common these days, it is essential to have response, and a lead person, and so on, as the trace is done.

But it is not always cut and dried.If it was, flax would be moving and so would mustard, wouldn't it?

Who pays always comes up. Even with an agreement.

"Did Farmer Peter have a nasty cat digging in some pile here?"

http://www.canada.com/stops more canola meal with salmonella/2075205/story.html
              Contamination you don't even know about is costly. And more farmers are value adding and selling direct than ten years ago. Pars

Comment

"Who pays?" no Pars "Who benefits?" is the new persepctive.

IP; traceability officially has a raison d'etre born. It will be a necessity of marketing into the EU which in turn will be the ability to sell so someone can pay for the commodity in their bin.

We can and will provide IP products with guaranteed purity with confidence to buyers, the reality is we will have to.

The question is no longer who pays because it will be our benefit to do this.

Comment

I agree, haveapulse.

I was looking down the road.

I went into Regina several times last week, and bought some fruit I cannot buy locally, in two major grocery chain stores.

Now, since I am intending on making plum perogies for a birthday party for a friend, I hunted in the stores for BC plums. I love them. I hunted awhile ago for them, too. BC peaches are also becoming hard to come by.

The distribution system seems to truck us Washington and California goods.

Will IP access, down the road, be priced so Canadian farmers will be able to afford access markets?

Who decides?

Presently, Shelf space = an arm and a leg. In every store.

Will IP = a shoulder and a hip?

Or will shelf space costs be miraculously transformed into IP costs?

Comment

<p></p>
                    <p class="EC_style8ptBK"><strong>[URL="http://www.gs1.org/sites/default/files/docs/traceability/GS1_tracebility_what_you_need_to_know.pdf"](Traceability Primer)[/URL]</strong></p>

Comment

<p></p>
                      <p class="EC_style8ptBK"><strong>[URL="http://www.gs1.org/sites/default/files/docs/barcodes/databar/RSS_Perishable_Cost_Benefit_Study_Aug2001.pdf"](Gs1/ Loblaws)[/URL]</strong></p>

Comment

Comment

6/7/2009 1:43:00 PM 6/7/2009 1:43:00 PM
                          Cairo - Editor Masrawy - is the Attorney-General Abdel Meguid Mahmoud company officials commissioned Egyptian traders imported a shipment of wheat imported from Russia and Russia, which amount to 5 Ñ 52 thousand tons of wheat - which has already received communications about the corruption, and lack of suitability for human consumption - re-exported outside the country stated value of $ 6 Ñ $ 9 million dollars to the General Authority for Supply Commodities, which previously imported to the disbursement from the account of the Commission.

Traceability. translated, Pars

Comment

So what happened?

"The Public Prosecutor ordered the formation of a committee from the Police General Directorate of Supply and delegates of the General Authority for the control of exports and imports, quarantine and health and a member of the committee, which had previously ordered the prosecution constituted to examine and deal with the task of monitoring and supervision of all procedures for the return shipment to make sure of re-exports of wheat and quantity of the previous import to the country, to complete the Public Prosecutor's investigation in this regard.

The investigations conducted by the Public Prosecutor for the difference in the results of the report of the Delegate of the public prosecutor to examine the contents of the deal for a suitability for human consumption with the reports of the Ministry of Health and quarantine on the proportion of insects and impurities and heavy metals in the wheat.

The public prosecutor had ordered the seizure of all quantities of wheat to Egypt, Russia on May 13 last, decided to form a tripartite committee of professors of the Faculty of Agriculture, Cairo University to take samples from the custody of wheat and analysis of the statement of its suitability for human consumption and the extent of its conformity with the requirements and specifications subject contract concluded between the Supply Commodities Authority and Egyptian traders importing company of the transaction to verify the authenticity of the statement in the communication submitted on those wheat and determine responsibilities, if any.

The communication to be received by the Attorney General on this matter to enter the quantity of wheat bad for the country and received by the Egyptian port of Safaga, despite the absence of a regulatory approval entrusted with ensuring the validity of the imported wheat for human consumption as their entry which may endanger the health of citizens at risk.

In a related context confirmed the Committee formed by the people to examine the Russian wheat silos in the port of Safaga to be unfit for human consumption charge because they contain dead insects and weeds detrimental to the Egyptian soil, the same report, which was ended by a committee of professors of the Faculty of Agriculture at Egyptian universities, which is formed by the Attorney General.

Dr. Ahmed Fathy Sorour, Speaker of the People's Assembly at the conclusion of discussions on this subject that the Council is able to exercise parliamentary control to achieve a significant achievement when knowing the Attorney General that the shipment is in conformity with the specifications and is re-shipped to the country of origin.

Surur said that the government should be very happy when assisted by the Parliament of the control of the spoilers, stressing that the spoilers in the ground in need of watching.

He congratulated the council, which was able to monitor these spoilers, and called upon the Government to enact laws to put an end to the movement of the spoilers in the field of food.

He asked the government to be more stringent about the safety of food in order to preserve the health of the Egyptians because he Aiouhd more important than food safety.

The MP Mustafa Bakri, who raised the issue about a month ago took the decision to the Attorney-General, who stressed that the safety of Russian wheat shipment and ordered a full charge of the country of origin and the importer pays a porter Ashraf $ 6 Ñ LE 9 million cost of the shipment, which took him from the supply of goods before the arrival of shipment. "

Translated. Pars
                            ps In every country, every language, food auit/safety is an issue.

Comment

So, who pays? And I don't mean about a shipment that goes awry. I mean about LOST BUSINESS!
                              Read on.

"Bakri explained that the report of the Attorney General about the shipment confirmed that the certificate under which the introduction of a false charge and this is serious and there must be control over the health of the citizens.

Bakri warned that there is another ship parked outside the port of Safaga, waiting examine the cargo and the fear of examination because it is not in conformity with the specifications

He said that the ship paid fines delay of more than half a million pounds so far.

And demanded that the company shall bear the amount imported and that the vessel would return the shipment to Russia, the prosecutor called attention to this matter.

Meantime, Abdul Rahim al-Ghoul Chairman of the Committee on Agriculture and Chairman of the Committee established by the Council to prepare a report for the safety of the cargo, said the NDP government to Ataatstr corruption and governmental bodies are discovered to be incorrect and that the shipment does not apply the criterion standard for the safety of the Egyptian wheat.

Ghoul and wondered: Why is not screening and fumigation of the cargo in the country of origin rather than to recommend this in Egypt.

He said: Why did not send the goods supply staff when contracting to buy this wheat to determine the validity. Denounced the government's insistence on the existence of intermediaries in the import of wheat.

He said: Why does not import the wheat supply goods directly rather than mediators interested in profit only.

He called on the Government to buy seven million tons of wheat for local farmers Egged route for disposal, instead of importing wheat threatens the health of Egyptians.

Sorour called on the Committee on Agriculture to promptly finalize its report even discussed by the Council.

Source: Middle East News Agency. "

Translated.

As you know, Canada's CWB employs mediators called Accreditied Exporters. The CWB doesn't "do" sales. The accreited exporters do. The CWB merely extract wages. IF the CWB was eliminated, the selling agency exporter assumes liability for yukups.

With the CWB gorged inbetween the producer and the exporter, oink, farmers seem to always end up paying for mistakes, eh? Parse Lee

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...