• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crops, yields, Location

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crops, yields, Location

What were crops like at your location how much
    combining do you have to do yet.

We are located North of Prelate, Sceptre Sask area.
    We are about 99.9% done combining just a few
    sloughs left.
    Peas 10-18 bu/acre
    Red and Green Lentils 4-10 bu/acre
    Canary seed stubble less than 5 bu/acre
    Canary seed sf 15-25 bu acre
    Wheat on stubble less than 10 bu/acre
    Durum on stubble less than 10 bu acre
    Durum on sf 40 to 55 bu acre

Yeilds above last year, but about 20% left to go on average. Some are only 1/2 done due to weather and just simply way too much dirt to cover.
    Mostly Canola left, some canary and wht out as well.
    Quality was very good and protien very low. Lots of ergot in hrsw showing up.

Comment

Don't know haven't started. Looks excellent but for the poor weather. And furrow, ny area is and always is wet, and cool, and humid. I am an average sized farm, and I do not feel I have too much land, yet am not STARTED. I can just say if you feel your summer was cool and damp, try living here. This year has been even more pathetic than ever. I have been married ten years and my in-laws have always marvelled at our humidity, our cool days, and our rich dirt. They are from Regina not Arizona. There are still peas left out to combine out here for crying out loud! LOL

Just straightening up that we with crop out are not necessarily at fault. On the bright side, I have never had to worry about drought, just flooding!!!

Comment

Just saying that is the way it is here. Sorry about your weather, no doubt we would all be in the same boat at that. In this area the greedy are about to be taught a lesson,(along with their partners - Pike/Cargil) and yes there are a few who just plain have had bad luck - we have been there a few times ourselves. Hope things turn out for you, not so much for the ones who doubled the rents just to farm more(that was my point above).
        Anyway we look at it, the remaining harvest will be slow and painfull for all.
        On top of it all we have Pars sending out a great message about the horribly contaminated GMO food that we produce right here in her back yard. Tell that to the 35 year old down the road, with massive payments and a young family to care for, while his 10,000 bus of mustard and or flax just dropped by half in value - or better yet pars go tell his banker that his product is poisionous to the world. O.K., I had better stop. Finished the snowman though. BTW, we are not done either but only have that horrible GMO Canola left - might grow a third eye by mornin.

Comment

I didn't post that mustard jars were pulled off the shelves in several countries in EU and I didn't name them either and this is awhile ago.

It's happening, though.In fact, this was a happening event the end of September.!

Long before I ever said boo on my blog.

The trade knew.

Farmers didn't.

Comment

Sorry JAG, do not mean to ruin your thread, but gotta say something. Mustard market had fallen apart long before the GMO flax thing started. People are making it sound like the fall in mustard prices is linked to GMO mustard issue. Not true, markets have been dead for some time and the idea that we are the only game in town on some of these crops is why this thing came off it's highs. Maybe it is a solution to high sales contracts previously in place prior to the start of GMO flax? It's affects will be long lasting as the customer is always right. When a customer loses confidence and there are other suppliers, it takes time to get confidence back. I am a fan of GMO technology (to fight against it is parellel to the "world is flat crowd"), but the consequences of this to special crops is pretty big and of concern. The bigger problem is preception of risk has been created, harder to get our buyers to believe the risk from buying our products is low, at least until they are forced to buy from us or go without.

Comment

Good point Dave, I should just leave sleeping dogs alone I guess.
              Jag, I hope the rains return next year for those of you in the south west.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...