• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oct 8th or Jan 8th????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oct 8th or Jan 8th????

Just woundering by looking out the office window. Also how some of the guys who had to take on more dirt this year at the highest cash rents ever heard of in this area are feeling. Haveapulse, how are those super dupper efficient big farmers doin?? Most are just over 1/2 done from what I know (5000 up to 20,000ac to go). Mother nature still rules the roost. There are some who are done and tried to rent a few more ac but were out bid by the super dupers who will never finish it now - what an efficient waste of dirt. Just glad it's not me paying big rents with crop out. I know it's early but some just have way too much to go to get finished, and deserve to be harvesting in April/May. Anyway, got to go make a snowman with the kids, then go to hockey.

And people say I have a bad attitude god what the hell are you thinking. Man no one said rent was more, hell some of us rent very little. as far as not pushing try going any day one could and night. Three machines and still only half done. You are right on one thing mother nature rules the farm. When it froze in June and all our crop was set back like seeding in June, we knew the crop would have trouble, it made it but now the weather is again turning. Its not about greed at all, just plain lousy weather.

Comment

Furrowtickler, sounds as if there is a but of jealousy or envy coming from your post. I am not a BTO by any extent, but I envy the people that can farm 20-30 thousands acres and still keep their sanity with these present conditions. These people are probably the most efficient farmers in the world and the starving populations on our planet should thank their lucky stars that these people exist. Give credit where credit is due.

Comment

Those people that farm 20 - 30000 acres have a lot of employees that do the majority of the grunt work. I would guess that most of them would be lost if their #1 go to guy (or gal) quit.

Comment

Where is golbal warming when you need it?

Comment

From what I see big and small farmers in our area have about the same left out. About 30 to 70% left with a few finished. Reality is the farms with more equity will fair better if this crop gets leftout however I expect equity is not necessarily related to farm size. However, this is a risky business with uncontollable variables at every turn. Many farms have faced declining income with expanding land base, or the alternative to farm smaller and work off the farm for income. Economies of scale, in land as in large hog barns are ever changing and undoubtedly larger operations will take a bigger beating this year, but it is all relative to some degree. But what I find amazing is the the mystery of the farmers mind as ever deep in their ability to sustain amid adversity. In this I find great admiration for my fellow farmers, in a world of immediate gratification this mind, this spirit is even more valuable.

We too have crop out.

Unlike you, furrowtickler, I take no joy in the misery of this harvest as a measurable lesson on those who chose to expand, for farms of all size who have harvest out and the forecast looking dismall it is quite miserable indeed.

I admire the quest of those who farm whether it be big and small in their ability to sustain and define what is best for themselves. And in most cases (other than the CWB) it is a free world to farm 160 acres or 30,000 acres.

I pray for sun.

Comment

Real classy comments, FT.

Comment

S/F relax, reread the original it says nothing about those who have been busting teir ba!!s, it has been tough sleding for most of us. We are not done either. I am refering to the few who drove up the cash rents by double just to be bigger than the next guy. Beleive me, by doing that it has effected us all. One local farmer I know very well said his rent term is up this fall and just to farm the same dirt it will cost him at least $25,000 more - b/c of this b.s.
                Jay-mo, what's classy is the fact that rents have doubled mostly b/c of these few and it will cost us all alot more. In this area these are the ones with most of the crop out, every area may be different.
                Am I jealous, not a chance. What I am is irked by those who are driving up land rents for their own ego's thus effectivly driving up land rents in the whole community, then walking away b/c too much crop was left out to pay the bills. It has happened here before.
                Haveapulse, well thought out response. I have no problem with anyone expanding, But when land rents double in on year b/c of a one month rally in grain/oilseed prices some need their head checked.

Comment

I get what you mean. Having a snow day and not quite in a mood for one. Wish we were in Alberta maybe a liquor store would have a sale today and would go shopping.

Comment

Yup, feels a bit like red wine with dinner followed by a scotch evening,

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Comment

FT if its simply a result of high grain markets, then shouldnt one believe that the rents should drop if the markets go down????? Perhaps more flexleases need to be written to protect both sides of the equation.. I dont think this is the case in most of western canada.. It seems to be all or nothing which just doesnt work over the long term.

Comment

JD your absolutly right - right now though it's hard to find a landlord with any common sense.
                        We do a sp;it cash/crop share that works well. We have been able to work with landlords but for some who want to expand, forget it for now, better off to put extra money into what you alredy have. The problem is that now big cash numbers are out there the landlords are all wanting the same thing. This will correct itself IMO.

Comment

Yes it will correct itself and my leases as well are all a flex type with a cash/cropshare combo.. Most leases in this ara however are still written at 1/3 2/3 with the landlord sharing some fert and chem costs and in some cases not sharing any costs.. Its ridiculous to say the least...

Comment

It has always been thus in our area:
                            you pay more than the land is really worth to rent or to buy, especially on prime land. In the real world, the prize generally goes to the highest bidder, (and thus far most farms have been getting bigger and it is hard to get bigger without outbidding or at the very least matching the highest bidder).

Seems to me the folk that really took advantage of the situation was not your neighbours outbidding you for land.

And, I expect given farmer demographics in 10 years in some areas a renter, a real live farmer to rent the land will come at a premium to landlords. However if the business remains profitable, the trend towards larger farms will excelerate. We should all hope for the latter.

We have snow here this morning. The green leaves are falling from the trees. This year weather will be a great equalizer.

Comment

IMHO I am glad we have farmers of all sizes. I get to by good used equipment and always have a sale for mine. I am also glad we have very good demand for land. What if I could not farm next year for health reasons?
                              One year I was talking to a farmer from ireland and asked him if he thought farming was better here? He said no contest. Said he could by land here and pay it off in his lifetime.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...