• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food bigger than climate change

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food bigger than climate change

Food 'bigger than climate change'

http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/story/2009/10/12/food-bigger-issue-than-climate-change/

DEALING with the prospect of food shortages in the next 40 years is a bigger problem than climate change, a Senate inquiry has been told.With the world's population expected to reach about 9.2 billion by 2050, coupled with food demand growing at one per cent per annum, the requirement for food will roughly double by mid-century, academic Julian Cribb says.Professor Cribb outlined his concerns to the Senate's select committee on agricultural and related industries during a public hearing into food production in Canberra on Monday.Under current projections, five billion people will face water scarcity by 2050, and Australia won't have enough water to sustain food in 25 years time.Adding to the mix, a quarter of arable land around the world was degraded in some form and global stock of good farm land was declining about one per cent each year, Professor Cribb said.Yet more than half of all food produced and about three quarters of all nutrients were being wasted."This is the problem of our age, it is more immediate than climate change, it's going to happen a lot faster than climate change," the former CSIRO National Awareness director told the hearing.Climate change was, of course, a part of the issue, he said."But the real impact of this is going to be upon us within a generation."Professor Cribb, now an adjunct professor at UTS in Sydney, did offer a glimmer of hope."Our cities are immense traps of water and nutrients, huge quantities of water and nutrients pour from these places and we, generally speaking, chuck them out to sea."So if we can trap even a part of that water and nutrients and recycle it back into agriculture and other nutrients, we're stemming the haemorrhage."Australia needed to see it as an opportunity, and not a waste disposal activity, Professor Cribb said."It's a big industry that we could have here if we wanted to."However, it would take 25 years to develop technology before introducing it to farms."So we've only just got enough time to do something about this."

With GMO crops it is possible to keep up but the "consumer" has not grasped that it will be impossible to feed them shortly without it.
    Greempeace does not have a clue of the catastrophy that will occour if the keep pushing to ban GMO crops.
    If it is proffitable to grow crops farmers around the world have proven over and over again we can produce huge amounts of grain if we get paid for it.
    I find it so frusterating that on one side there is this "huge" surplus of wheat then you see reports such as above. Is the world short of food or not?

Comment

Now I don't have to say next year - I can say in the next decades farming might be profitable. I will be six feet under.

If someone bought wheat at 12 bucks a bushel would it not seem to be a bargain at 4 bucks. The way I got it figured, our so called good customers could maybe start building their own bins instead of western canadian farmers who keep good quality grain in shape and stored for the rest of the world.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...