• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest , now what?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest , now what?

Canola is now off the charts and inpossible to put through. Mt went from 14 to 16 and yesterday we had some sun but the canola is too tough to test and rain agian overnght. Even if it freeze dries should we still take it? We have no experience with canola this tough. Obviously we can not store it anymore and the local elevators are drying, but nearterm prices do not look promising at all thanks to the B.S. China thing. Alot of bad stories around of comdines plugged for up to 2-3 days, shafts, belts, gearbox's, augers, beaters, rotors all beeing torn apart. Is it to a point we just to hell with it? Very dissapointing yesterday, first afternoon with sun and by far the toughest canola we have ever tested. I hope others are having better luck.
    I am hearing of canola at 14 going moldy in bins within 4-5 days.

On my farm the reality of not completing the 09 harvest is becoming obvious.We are about 50% done.Ground is becoming more than soggy access roads are a mess.Then if we ever should get rolling at a reasonable pace hows one going to manage thousand's of bushels of out of condition grain at this time of year.I think it's time,on our farm, to see which fields should be done in the spring.It's frustrately dishearting to keep pouring more money into this crop this year.

Comment

When the rain stopped us on Oct.1, I had 100 acres of standing wheat and 700 acres of canola still to harvest. Today I still have 100 acres of standing wheat but have managed to get half of the canola done since then.

Between Sunday and Monday last we were able to combine about 230 acres of near dry canola (around 10.5-11%) and I was lucky enough to go again on thursday and do another 100 acres at 16-17% and haul it all into the elevator.

But it rained again yesterday morning and it's cloudy today with more rain threatining.

I'm officially now calling the tenth month of the year Sucktober.

Hopefully the 11th month will be better.

Gotta go out and deal with a newly delivered 6400 bushel hopper bin on skids that I filled with dry wheat in order to clean out an air bin and now it looks like the Leaning Tower of Piza.

Not really in the mood to play hopper bin dominos, if ya know what I mean.

Comment

Drove past a canola field today that was swathed late (maybe 3 weeks ago?)combines had been sitting there for a while but today were combining a standing crop in the next field. A guy was in the swathed field baling it up(uncombined)with a JD round baler.
        What can you do with tough canola in round bales?

Comment

Push them to the fenceline and burn in spring.

Comment

Just might spontaneously burn if that tough.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...