• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Window Opening up a hair!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Opening up a hair!

Can't get much more depressing than the last month has been. Felt more like Vancouver in January than "sunny" Alberta. Moisture every 2 -3 days but we have maybe only had a total of 1" ? Going to need a good April soaker - after we finish combining.

We could find a way to ship our water to you we would. No need for any snow this winter at all. The ground is wet and its down deep dugout came up springs are running. Good luck hopefully we get most of it. Oats is one we will sacrifice and harvest last then HRS. Canola is main now.

Comment

interesting article where?

Comment

http://www.farmmarketer.com/home/news/?storyid=1583

Comment

New Article with old information. I thought Darren Watson quite farming?

Comment

Dave ill phone a buddy of mine down their and see when have time.

Comment

Hmmmm... agree or disagree?

The standard advice to Canadian farmers caught in the squeeze of foreign competition and international trade subsidies has been to increase size. Some grain farmers have pushed the standard 2,000- to 4,000-acre farm to as much as 15,000 acres. But Mussell's data show that many large farms with annual revenues over $500,000 still exhibit low or negative operating profits. Thus size is no guarantee of success. "I don't really know if you can make a case for a business model on grain farming in Canada," says Allen. "You have to be very big, and the returns aren't so good anyways."

Comment

I thought his equipment was at Ritchie's sale last spring or it may have been a year ago. Just when an article appears in a magazine about how successful an operation is you find their auction sale two years later. The outstanding young farmer award is the biggest joke out there as you win today and are broke two years later. Farming is so variable that one approach works for a while and then it doesn't anymore.

Comment

Wasn't Watson part of the trend of a few years ago where you cash in your land to free up capital to expand and then rent it back from large land corps like pike and freemonte farms.

Comment

No, he was renting cereal stubble land from neighbors and then planting pulses, lentils mainly. It made some sense, but the market (8 cent lentils, 2005/06) punted him. Funny to see a current article bring up stuff from a couple years ago. NOthing against the guy, just think he is right out of Ag.

Comment

Mussell's data shows what most intelegent farmers already know, you do not have to get bigger to be better or more efficient in fact many are going backwards.

Comment

I'm green here.

I read the article.

Did this guy quit or not??

Sadest thing in the article.... is at the end when Boldt says 'the seventies aren't coming back'.

You couldn't be more wrong sweetheart.

Comment

Whats alot of money?

Theres a three letter word that starts with t and ends in x which is responsible for business lowering theit net incomes.

Most fixed incomers dont really know whats going on,and i doubt that dude does,although he really understands finance because of his edjumacation and such.

"aw shucks pa why couldnt mees get some schoolin and just rent everything and farms those chickimpeas"

Comment

Gotta love those U of S grads that show humility after they get a piece a paper thinking they are certified genius'. To bad the couldn't teach weather and market control to go with their' plans to take over the world with a pen and paper. Cash talks credit walks. Eventually in my opinion.

Comment

wheres the article??

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...