• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hybrid winter barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hybrid winter barley

Hi charlie

Hybrid barley has been available here for about 5years Boost was first variety came with a chemical package originally but I think they have given that up and you now just buy the seed.

Conventional varieties have now caught up to Boost in yeild but two more varieties Volume and Bronx head our recomended list.

Never grown any myself as we grow for malting and hybrids to date are feed

This link should take you to our recomended list which might be of interest http://www.hgca.com/document.aspx?fn=load&media_id=4840&publicationId= 362

Thanks ianben

One more question.

How is plant breeding funded in England? Through public (government and university)? Through a levy on seed?

Are farmers forced to use certified/breeders seed or can they use their own seed (we call brown bag or common seed here)? Realize you don't grow but have you heard the seed cost for hybrid varieties?

Comment

Ianben, when you say hybrid barley, is this GMO hybrid barley like the canola varieties in Canada?

Comment

All seed breed since a date sometime in the eighties I think carries a royalty here. No-one can sell seed without collecting this royalty.

We can plant seed from our own crops but still have to pay royalty, slightly less/tonne I think. No farmer to farmer trade though. Seed cleaners also responsible for collecting royalty so unless you willing to plant untreated seed and lie on the form we must complete pretty hard to dodge.

The royalty is set price and has gone up every year ie old variities have lower royalty than new.

Covers all crops I think not sure on grass though.

Will get back on price with some real figures.

Hybrids not gmo just fancy breeding of conventional varieties I think they stop self fertilization and have separate male and female plants.

We have more hybrids in canola and more uptake but still conventional varieties soon catch up on yeild .

Try this link to Canola varieties
        http://www.hgca.com/document.aspx?fn=load&media_id=4844&publicationId= 489

HGCA home grown cereals authority is funded by a levy on every tonne cereals we sell 40p on cereals and £1.20 on canola

Comment

All seed breed since a date sometime in the eighties I think carries a royalty here. No-one can sell seed without collecting this royalty.

We can plant seed from our own crops but still have to pay royalty, slightly less/tonne I think. No farmer to farmer trade though. Seed cleaners also responsible for collecting royalty so unless you willing to plant untreated seed and lie on the form we must complete pretty hard to dodge.

The royalty is set price and has gone up every year ie old variities have lower royalty than new.

Covers all crops I think not sure on grass though.

Will get back on price with some real figures.

Hybrids not gmo just fancy breeding of conventional varieties I think they stop self fertilization and have separate male and female plants.

We have more hybrids in canola and more uptake but still conventional varieties soon catch up on yeild .

Try this link to Canola varieties
          http://www.hgca.com/document.aspx?fn=load&media_id=4844&publicationId= 489

HGCA home grown cereals authority is funded by a levy on every tonne cereals we sell 40p on cereals and £1.20 on canola

Comment

Link to prices for farm saved seed

http://www.bspb.co.uk/fssd/paymentrates_combinable.html

Comment

Thanks for the help. Looking at alternatives for
              western Canada.

Comment

Had a chat with seed rep today

This fall hybrid seed was sold in 5 hectare packs and cost £34/acre.
                Our malt seed cost about £17/acre.

He said the breeders had had issues with ergot and had a very limited quantities for 2010 crop.

He also said growers who grew it for 09
                harvest did get more yeild but may only just have covered the extra growing costs.

Hope this is of help.

Ian

Comment

It is. Thanks again.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...