• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankees buy another Championship

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yankees buy another Championship

Hey L Weber. How much you think the Yanks will have to spend next year to win it all?

As much as they need to. Don't you just love free enterprise?

Comment

Ya! A salary cap would put a big knot in Steinbrenners nuts. No more buying Championships.

Comment

Money wins championships one in five years at best in profesional sports.

Comment

And for the Tom Jackson award of turning the Yankees into a CWB debate. An email I received from a farmer today.

The one and only reason that the Yankee’s have won again – and have won the pennant 27 times – is that they have no qualms of paying up for talent.

Apply that same logic to the CWB: clearly their performance is not great but the question is: what would the results be if it followed the “Yankee strategy”? Do you honestly think that any sports team could have a winning record by following government work and pay rules when the competition - uses the Yankee strategy?

Comment

Ah Larry Weber you are wrong on this one.. My good friend Mr. Hill assured me they only hire the top of the class university graduates to handle my money. Most of these top graduaters cant organize their desks let alone manage a billion dollar company, but what the hell I will let em make a few mistakes as its not really my money anyways. So you are wrong Larry Weber they are already hiring the most competent skilled employees available. Therefore if they actually had a coach, they might be able to win a sale or two, and perhaps even hit the grand slam once in awhile..

Comment

I AM HURT!

I thought I was doing really well lately... even saying publically...my best marketing decision this year... was selling 09/10 wheat in Jan/09 with act of God clause @ 50% of expected production!

My how far the proud have fallen!

<(>:{ Grin!

LWeber... good flax advice from NDSU... Thanks!

Flax Drying in October

The recommended storage moisture contents for flax are 9% short-term during cooler temperatures and 7% for long-term storage according to the Midwest Plant Service. Some publications recommend storing flax at 11% or less. Generally for long-term storage the moisture content should be less than that which is in equilibrium with about 70 F and 60% relative humidity. For flax this would be about 8%. Therefore, I would recommend a moisture content of less than 11% except for short-term storage where the flax temperature can be kept very cool.

To estimate allowable storage times ad 6% to the flax moisture and use the table for cereal grains in NDSU Extension Service publication EB-35, Natural Air & Low Temperature Crop Drying. For example, 11% flax would be approximately equivalent to 17% wheat. Therefore, the allowable storage time for 11% flax at 50 degrees would be about 130 days, 12% = 90, 13% = 70, 14% = 50 days.

The following table gives the approximate equilibrium moisture contents for flax at various temperatures and relative humidity.

Temperature (F) Relative Humidity
              40% 50% 60% 70% 80%
              30 7.4 8.6 9.8 11.2 12.8
              40 7.1 8.2 9.4 10.7 12.2
              50 6.8 7.9 9.0 10.2 11.7
              60 635 7.6 8.6 9.9 11.3
              70 6.3 7.3 8.3 9.5 10.9

The average North Dakota October temperature is 47 F and the relative humidity is 65%. Flax moisture under these conditions would be about 9.5% to 10%. The average for the Devils Lake area is about 46F and 69% RH resulting in a EMC of about 10.5% moisture. Based on these conditions, flax will probably dry to storage moisture on warm dry afternoons, but the probability of field drying will be poor except for during these warm and dry periods. Natural air drying during October should dry the flax to about 9% when the effect of the hear from the fan is considered.

The weight of flax is 56 pounds per bushel, which is the same as for corn, so the amount of moisture to be removed is also similar to corn. Therefore, the amount of airflow recommended for drying would be similar. Based on equilibrium moisture content, natural air drying would dry corn to about 15% and flax to about 9%. The following table gives estimated drying times and airflow rates for drying flax assuming average North Dakota October conditions.

Moisture Content Airflow (cfm/bu) Fan Time (days)
              15% 1.00 45
              1.25 36
              1.50 30
              13% 1.00 33
              1.25 27
              1.50 22
              11% .75 37
              1.00 28
              1.25 23
              1.50 19

The resistance to airflow is much greater for flax than for wheat. The following table gives the estimated static pressure at various airflow rates and grain depths.

Airflow Rate (cfm/bu)

0.5 0.75 1.00 1.25 1.50
              Depth (ft) Static Pressure (inches)

2 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6
              4 0.6 1.0 1.3 1.7 2.1
              6 1.5 2.3 3.1 3.9 4.8
              8 2.7 4.1 5.6 7.2 8.9
              10 4.2 6.5 9.0 11.6 14.4
              12 6.2 9.6 13.3 17.3 21.5
              14 8.5 13.4 18.6 24.2 30.0
              16 11.4 17.8 25.0 33.0 44.0

A centrifugal fan will be required except on static pressures less than about 4 inches of pressure. Shallow depths are required to keep the static pressure less than the maximum efficient centrifugal fan operating static pressure of about 8 inches. An 8 foot depth and an airflow rate of 1.0 cfm/bu might be typical, which would permit drying flax at moisture contents up to about 13%.

Check the perforated floor to determine if flax will be contained. If the openings are too large, covering the floor with window screen is an option.

High temperature drying is an option for drying flax. The resistance to airflow will be high, so the airflow rate and drying time will be reduced from that experienced with other crops. Make sure the dryer can contain the flax, it will flow through small openings. Maximum suggested drying air temperatures are about 180 F for continuous flow and recirculating dryers, 160 F for column batch dryers, 120 F for bin batch dryers, and 110 F for seed. Since flax is an oil crop, use care to prevent dryer fires similar to that used when drying oil sunflower.

Flax flows easily and supports limited weight. Lives have been lost by people falling into stored flax, becoming engulfed and dying from suffocation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...