• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB Mea Culpa

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB Mea Culpa

The CWB is making excuses for not being able to sell durum. Apparently, there is something called "the market" that affects prices. What a novel concept. And here I thought they were able to keep prices up by owning half of the world market share (and forcing farmers to store the crop).

http://www.cwb.ca/public/en/farmers/forecasts/durum/durum_report.pdf

Better yet no one in winnipeg could do the math as they would have found out it would have made more sense to call the last 25% in the 08-09 crop year. Instead we take a 3 buck loss on the durum we are storing.

I guess they had to save some money so they could call in some unsellable tough and damp cwrs to help out some of the cwb directors (d6) who still have a shitload of grain to harvest as of nov 1.

Comment

Apparently, there is something called "the market" that affects prices

Now that is funny Zaph.

Comment

Buck are you still pissed about helping out the rest of western Canadas delinquent HRSW growers?

Comment

I am just sick of blending off my good grain with the shit from up north.

Do the math. Lets say the boys up north grow huge bushels - 60bpa of cwrs. The cwb gives them a 50% call str,damp or tough - so they are allowed to haul in the equivalent of 30bpa right from the field. What do they gain. Well they don't have bin this garbage, they get cashflow immediately and more than likely they are gaining a grade or two.

Meanwhile my dry #1 sits in the bin with nice hauling weather. My average yield is 35 bpa so as of today I could haul in 8.5 bpa (25% call) Basically no cashflow no premium for dry or some of the blending premium.

Not to mention a few years ago we were left hanging with shitty grain (the frosty year) and we had to blend it into another crop year.

Point is if they make a call make it for everyone.

And the cwb should be consistent. When I asked about the last 25% of my durum last year, the cwb said they had no sales for it. But the 09-10 crop durum call came when little to no durum had been harvested. All of a sudden there was sales for cheap leftover 08 durum.

When I called about the damp call once again there was no sales for it. So why call it in. The farmers with the damp grain should be forced to deal with it like I do with my durum and dry cwrs.

Comment

How many directors who believe in free choice are from those areas?

Comment

I hear you bucket.
              My hatred for the cwb started in my early farming days. We had a qouta system that worked for some but not me. My first few years I could not sell all my wheat, but some especialy mixed guys could sell all theirs and early for the way they alocated thier acres. I thought though I would cash in someday when we had a bad fall. Boy was I wrong. I was very lucky that year to get my wheat off just before snow, rain and frost plus I had inventory from previous year. That year I got to haul all my wheat in fall for the lack of high Quality wheat. Ended up with 4$ per bushel when the average world price was 6. I could only guess I filled the cwb's prior commitments at that lower price.

Comment

Silverback

I think most are pro-board from up north. Its little wonder why. They get delivery and a bump in grade most years.

I talked to my director - he was kind enough to tell me I could go get an advance on my dry grain. I said "that's great advice now do the same for the growers with tough grain."

There is very little chance there is a 1 or 2 cwrs after the october we had so its obvious they are blending. I don't care that they blend - I just want the appropriate premium for doing so.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...