• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got er done!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got er done!!!

Finished the canary, canola and peas today. Corn is still too tough - cattle feed now. Good luck to all, I realy hope the kids sleep in tomorow!
    99% done here now.
    I have cursed the full moon all year but this last one has brought good fortune to all.
    There is no wounder why the ancient civilaitions worshiped the sun and moon!! Modern forcasts that depend on computer models are horrible. Just let my 8 year old predict the weather, and pay her class - much more worthy cause.

Way to go just fueling up starting 11 left. 3 deeres and red one 8120 nice.

Comment

Finished the swathed flax tues. Wrapping damp flax straw around the rear feeder chain drive added to the stress, plus the smouldering fire didnt help! Thank goodness for two neighbours with John Deeres. What hair I have left is now grey!! Marked it in the book, full moon this time of year means weather change for the good. Good luck everyone, I heard one prediction of no snow till Xmas.

Comment

FINISHED last night, latest date ever for our farm(96yrs). Standing flax testing 7.8%. Sorta wish I wouldn't have, jumped the gun on canola at 13.7%(would've all been dry, had I waited till that day of strong wind) but you know what they say about hind site.

May times I doubted whether I'd get this crop, starting as early as April when the snow wouldn't melt. Have good reason to celebrate on the 26th!!!

Have plenty to do yet, in the yard and out in the field, so still hoping for good weather till Christmas, maybe we'll have a good el Nino fall after all.

Good luck to the rest of you with acres left and roundup those idle combines.

Have now adapted SF3's expression, "The Year form Hell"

Comment

Don't know about the year from Hell as 2009 will still go down as a very good year on our farm. We had lots of lentils sold v/profitably yeilds were good.
          There are low spots of course read durum and barley acceptance. But in my limited experiece the worst years are when we finish harvest in Augsust. Also 2009 is the year when we got out of Cows that's a tough business.

Comment

The only cause of the long growing not maturing season was it's TOO DAM COLD! A warmer few degrees would have meant earlier seeding and matured crops to be harvested on time in September. A huge plus was we missed widespread frost in August. That would have toasted $billions. If you think as governments that we should be COLDER, please tell them so, all winter.

Comment

Yeah, it was a tough year but profitable. Although that 4 nights of frost in the first week in June cost us big time on 1/2 of our canola. Thin stands on the hardest hit canola resulted in heavy wild oat infestations that reduced yeilds and drove us nuts at swathing time and combining. Those swaths never did dry out. Thank god for reversable rotors on those Massey's!
              The one canola feild we did reseed on June 9th - tough(17%) but ran well over 50 and #1 - that may never happen again in ten years so something to be thankfull for.
              I think there alot of stories going to be told from the crop of '09.

Comment

We finished also!!

Lots of drying ahead.

Crop turned out really good, all things considered.

Comment

Finished today too...Nov 11th is a good day to finish in 2009, b/c it will always be a year I remember.

Have some wheat to dry, last 500 acres taken off at 18-19, but canola was relatively dry...all things considered.

Last Thursday we decided to move on...no way we'd get the remaining 1000 acres...and 6 days later we finished.
                  Thank you mother nature!

Comment

Finished today also, last wheat and 35 acres of oats at 16%. Neighbor to bale 15 acres seeded June 25, just too green and soggy. Canola in area dry now! Drying yet to do. Will try fertilizing, if wheat stubble not frozen, tomorrow. Hope weather holds for everyone still at it. Never thought we'd get this crop this year! Yes, we'll tell the grand chidren about this one.

Comment

Way to go guys the harvest from hell may go down in the books as an amasing open fall. We have 8 to go all canola only one oats out. Canola realy dry. Then maybe just maybe we will finish the custom harvest. Maybe. The boys have combine problems and haven't started yet. But I think this year ill have some help from neighbors for them, get er done boys theirs a cold coors in fridge with your name on it. Ha ha ha

Comment

Missed the snow last night. The 30 percent forcast for Saturday is gone now, and she is all 00000s till to including the 16th. Should be enough for us as well to finish. Just got 6 quarters of canola yet still testing 13. Broke a unloading auger pulley last night, first one the dealer ever sold so part should hopefully be in this morning. Two hour job to put back together. IH parts guys have been good to work with.

Comment

Also got a neighbor to help with the 240 acres of standing wheat. Not sure exactly what it is testing but taste test says 18 to 19. That sure is a big help as we are having some pretty long days. After done can set up the new dryer no time right now. Same neighbor took off some pretty wet swaths of wheat and oats of his own just before finishing and will be drying for a while.

Comment

Finished baling flax straw yesterday. Flax must be near frozen now... last test 10.6 after wheat/dockage removed.

VERY glad to have combine cleaned and in shed! Many thanks to family and freinds who worked very hard to 'got er done' for 2010!!! To Red Deer show today for a break... shopping for shop fixtures!

All the best to those still slugging it out! Bless you!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...