• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why not deer?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why not deer?

Sask ag is paying $20 to shoot coyotes because they might hurt livestock producers livelyhood.

Why not for deer? Moose? Elk?

I would gladly send in 4 hooves. Eradicate CWD at same time. Heck they wouldn't even have to pay me just don't jail/fine me. LOL

white-tails, thick as flys. I agree, don't ask questions, don't jail me and don't find me! I'll even give all the meat to the food bank.

Comment

<p></p>
      <p class=" http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/business/story.html?id=d9e78be0-d4a4-441d-8c65-eb624d0ddc9f">(Stewart made a good decision)</a></strong></p>

Comment

The sad part of this whole scenario is that after all the hype about efficiencies and new technology that these big super factory farms were supposed to employ, good old fashioned farmer logic finally prevailled, if because you are efficient you only lose half as much, you are not able to sustain viability indefinately. You must produce profit from production or there is no sense in going through the whole process. I hope that all the government agricultural economic experts that extolled this concept are all rewarded appropriately for their inmcompetence and are all terminated immediatelywith no severence or retirement benefits due to their incompetence. Not much chance of that happening though is there!!!!

Comment

A comment in the Star Phoenix at the bottom of the bankruptcy article.

"I hate to say it, but maybe some of the small market pork producers will be able to make a living at it again. They pretty much drove everyone else out of business."

Very apt.

Comment

DR. W. Hartley Furtan, Professor of Agricultural Economics, at the University of Saskatchewan was listed as a Director of Big Sky Farms in an Annual Statement I read. Wonder what he comments about Big Sky now appealing to the court even though they have visited the taxpayer trough time and time again? He served as Deputy Minister of Saskatchewan Agriculture and Food 1993-95, and during that time, a lot of small hog producers were essentitailly run out of business so that a few accountants and lawyers could set up shop and show farmers how to really run the hog business...into the ground.

An NDP branded venture.

I have a question for all of you.

Big Sky Pork became Big Sky Farms, you know. And there have been debt write offs.

It Big Sky Farms becomes Big Sky Whatever III, do you think the same Promoter-President of any company be allowed to continue to get any tax dollars, from any government in Canada, if planning on reconditioning his payment responsibilities once again?

Should there be legislation barring reconditioned applications by debt-dumpers? Pars

Comment

Darrel Cunningham, NDP Sask MLA also served as a Big Sky Director.

I note this project was obviously NDP endorsed. I am speaking of ALL tax payer funded projects. Pars

Comment

Heck no feed the coyotes, there worth $20. We can supply the food banks with grain and meat that the deer and coyotes aren't eating.

Comment

Hopper 2 to go after tonight. Sorry were going to Maui with the kids in feb but enjoy the rums lots of rum after our latest ever harvest hell ill make usa thanksa giving this year. Frose field that was really bad in june 15 less

Comment

Looked at the forecast and took the weekend off for the farm show, hockey and being a dad. 80 acres left finally dry so just like a holiday to finish up monday or tuesday. I cant believe how the weather changed, it was worth the wait?
                    I was in Venezuela a couple years back and noticed rum is spelled ron there so I drank my weight in it (a considerable amount at that time), it is made with sugar cane and is cheaper than gatorade (if you ever go down take gibsons or crown royal as a gift, import taxes make it worth about 10 times the price of good rum, if you can even find rye)

Comment

I don't like these huge hog barns either,but who could make money at the prices that the producers receive.Are all the profits being bled off as in the cattle industry?What happened to good pork?Alot of the pork we buy in Sobeys' or wherever is terrible.The bacon is 90% fat and water and roasts that stink like hog barns when cooked.Just awful quality.

Comment

Bacon really is hit and miss these days.

Comment

So today we harvest our last field of canola. It was reseeded because of the dam frost in june or fricking 8 days of frost. Seeded on june 15 and harvested on Nov 15. The frost on 4 quarters did rob us of about 10 to 20 bushels an acre rest after that was fine. Should have started seeding canola two to three days later. Get er in early they tell us f86!k you. In the north it should be after the 12 of may or later. Any way it is testing 12 and green contedt is up. But yield will be better than the three we didn't reseed. Today will tell the tail. Then 200 acres of oats. Standing twisted heavy mess. Yield should be high but lots of seed loss. That's tomorrows fun. Well I called it a 10 day window and its here. Most will finish in our area only three of four large guys have crop out. Two more fun days since after the canola today I am going home to have fun with the kids tonight.

Comment

AGREE! I'd bet that more $ are spent on vehicle repairs than the value of sheep or calves the coyotes kill. Way too many vermin they control. On top of that a few deaths from collisions with deer, one locally, a crying shame. Open season on deer, elk, moose till they are gone from populated areas. Call your MLA's.

Comment

Sask, that canola only took 5 months, our wheat took 6 months in the field! Oats seeded June 25 looks like could happen on Wed, plus 7. Seed good but straw green. 99% done in area, but lots of tough canola bins to dry and monitor. We are finishing drying today.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...