• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lobbyists

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lobbyists

Will this have any effect on the CWB. Taken from
    <a href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091115/tories_public_091115/20091115?hub=QPeriod">More money for the pool account now</a>

CTV News has learned the federal Conservatives plan to ban public agencies from hiring lobbyists to influence the federal government.

Crown Corporations are already forbidden from using lobbyists to influence decision makers in Ottawa. But on Monday, Treasury Board President Vic Toews is expected to extend that rule to 90 other federal bodies.

The Toronto Port Authority, the Canadian Televison Fund and the Canadian Wheat Board will be among the agencies affected.

Those agencies "don't have to hire someone to talk to the government when they can talk to us themselves," a senior government adviser told CTV.

With a report from CTV Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife

Unquote

So they will just hire more internally, and your point?

Comment

Don't get too excited. Expect the CWB to keep doing what they're doing. They will find a way - or three - to keep it up. They're probably laughing over their coffees this morning.

And if they really start feeling their oats (Oh no - I can't believe I said that - what if??) maybe a charter of rights challenge is right around the corner?!? After all, we, and all Canadians, must rely on the CWB to defend our constitutional and democratic rights. It's their responsibility. No issue is too big or so fundamental to the country to be taken on or defended by the omni-important CWB. They have in-house lawyers, out-house lawyers, and Wayne Easter to urge them on.

More money FROM the pool accounts.

Comment

Wow, I did not see that coming.

Comment

What agstar said.

Hiring a lobbying firm is pretty blatant on the financials, and hard to ignore.

Hiring half a dozen "assistant managers" who spend all of their time lobbying is not.

Comment

The government has their intentions in the right place. However the effect will be limited to shutting down only the most blatant political activities.

The definition of lobbying, lobbyists, and their related activities being difficult to pin down, will only serve to drive the activity slightly underground. Lobbying will happen, everyone including government will recognize it when they see it, but nothing will be done about it. Unless of course - the Minister Responsible begins to understand and take control of his department and agencies. Ritz hasn't proven he understands his portfolio or can effective manage it. The Minister needs to get in front of his department, which means knowing all he can about it, and demand accountability.

Comment

My point is why spend my money lobbying the government. Lobby for what? More perks?

Comment

Hey, it's a step in the right direction anyways even if it winds up being a small step. But who knows it may not wind up being as feeble as one might think.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...