• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Select" Winter Wheat, Does it exist?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Select" Winter Wheat, Does it exist?

Has anyone actually sold any this stuff. Because I am about to put this "Select" grade on the same list as the Loch-Ness monster and honest car salesmen, you know, the list of things that people talk about but no-one has actually seen.

I've been trying to find a buyer for my 15.5% protein HRWW that will take it as "Select" but the story always is "our contract is already filled. But you can bring it in tomorrow as regular winter wheat." Huh ya right and give-up a $26/tonne premium, I'll pass.

Outside of the Designated Area there is a demand for high protein winter wheat and the premium is significantly higher than the $26/tonne the Wheat Borg is offering. FRUSTRATION!

I don't think I'll be growing this stuff again.

I think the word "select" means you have to do some sort of oral exercises that would leave a bad taste in your mouth. Never could understand select and special select in barley. But maybe special select involves vaseline.

Comment

The development of select winter wheat was designed to re establish milling winter wheat as a saleable product from Canada. The reality was that overtime and with the introduction of Kestrel the specs of winter wheat varieties became too broad. The result was the board then started pricing to the lowest demoninator. At one time winter wheat was priced at quite a premium to CPS. The sad reality is that since that time the CWB has never fiqured out how to sell select winter wheat. They did a contract program which meant sales were made later in the crop year and many producers weren't prepared to wait and just sold as common winter wheat. My suggestion on your high protein winter wheat would be to try and shop through the local flour millers( Ellinson's or Rodgers). Not sure how you'll make out but likely better than waiting for the board to make an export sale.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Craig, I'll start calling domestic users next. Hopefully I can forge a relationship with one of them, and skip the board altogether from now on.

Comment

cole,
          I'd give these boys a call and tell them you have good high protein for the manufacture of their gluten. Have a price on the tip of your tongue:

http://www.permolex.com/aboutus1.asp

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...