• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sask Pulse growers Elections

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sask Pulse growers Elections

Fill out your SPG ballot
    There are many organizations to which farmers pay levy dollars, but elections are relatively rare. The directors for commissions and boards are often acclaimed. This year, there is an election underway. Five candidates are running for three positions with Saskatchewan Pulse Growers. As pulse producers, we should have all received biographical information and a ballot in the mail. The five candidates are Donald Beskorwayne, who operates a mixed farm northeast of Prince Albert; Vicki Dutton, a producer from Payton who is also involved with the processing company Western Grain; Roger Elchuk, a producer from the Shipman area; Dan Flynn, a producer from near Beechy; and Murray Purcell, a producer from Pike Lake who is completing a three year term as a director. Sask Pulse Growers has played a major role in the development of peas and lentils in this province. Each year, the organization collects millions of dollars in levies from the sale of pulse crops and that money is used for research, market development and communications. It only takes a few minutes to read through the biographies and mark your choices. Ballots must be received by the Returning Officer by December 2. I’m Kevin Hursh.

What are some topics that you would like to see?

Should the board structure change to eliminate landlords?
    or
    Should it be like Sask Pork and let everyone who delivers get a ballot on half the Board and the other half goes to production?

Should the levy be refundable I have talked with a few directors over the past few years and have changed my mind.
    I used to be all about choice but have seen too many free riders in Canola and cereals. I could argue for a cap or if it could be policed that people who opt out are not allowed to grow Sask Pulse varieties for a set period.
    I`m interested in how other provinces do it especially Manitoba as they have quite a vibrant dry bean industry.

Comment

The levy should absolutely be refundable.

The choice to actually participate is essential in any free society.

The most effective discipline factor that can be applied to any organization or body is the individual's option of withdrawal of personal funding. Parsley

Comment

"could be policed that people who opt out are not allowed to grow Sask Pulse varieties for a set period"

Maybe you could be the one to recommend supplying black boots to those police checking fields and bins from the forced-funding money. Pars

Comment

I`ll bite
          parsley how do you recomend new traits or varieties get funded
          I as a pulse grower, like how the Sask Pulse Growers has kept farmer saved seed in the new clearfeild varieties

Comment

I've watched the canola model and it has been fascinating.

Farmer-raised.

I recall the early canola growers putting time and effort into the development of their industry. And I watched corps and industry work hand in hand with farmers. Monsanto'BASF etc have been up front and centre up to their elbows in the development of an industry that not only benefits themselves but benefits farmers, and albeit I am not supportive of gentically modified food for our FOOD as you well know, I am supportive for industrial uses. ie Modified flax for screening the inside of a tractor is brilliant.

I don't recall any canola-forced growing, or canola forced participation, do you? Or worrying about what the other farmer did or didn't choose to do?

Only the people who don't have faith in their fellow farmers want rules that stymie.

How do you get good will with force? Surely Western farmers have watched the CWB model fail in comparison to the canola model.

Socialized pulse contributions don't scare me anywhere near as much as does the jelled socialization of some of the minds who suggest them.

IMHO. Parsley

Comment

Since Parsley brought up Canola, I'll tell you my experience. We have a whole closet full of Jackets that they have given us over the years after having the Monsanto police out checking to see if we paid the TUA.
              BASF has their clearfeild commitment and Bayer won't sell Liberty with out matching acres.
              I know that a lot of elevator agent time is spent filling in forms to get back check off money on Canola and WGRF varieties, not because of specific policies that farmers disagree with. But because they see it as money they can get back. If it means the difference between Christmas for the Kids or check off, give it to the family, but if you had a good year contribute to the industry.

Comment

And of course, I don't agree with automatic deduction. And there's the rub. It began with the initial think process.

Not to be difficult, it's just that I think the farmer should tick "yes" he wants to give, as oppsed to having to apply for his money back because it's been arbitrarily deducted.

Too many human organ hunters want to automatically farm your organs, half dead or not, (which of course puts me at personal risk) So far, there is still a box to tick that says I GIVE. I DONATE. That's a willing act. Pars

Comment

The good thing gusty, is that you don't have to deal with canola if you so choose.And I predict in the future, a lot of guys won't, and their act of rejection will foce change.

The other plus I see, is that you are basically a willing-participant-kind of-thinker, who merely mumbles out loud at times, lol, (and that's what young people should do,) but not a central planning fanatic, and that's why I am taking the time to respond. Pars

Comment

Actually why I enjoy having malleefarmer and ianben participate to find out how different regions of the world fund research and development via different forms of farm organization/levies. Many areas of the world have compulsory checkoffs to fund R&D as well as market development. They also have check and balances as well as ensuring farmers get return on investment (or at least financial benefits are retained to be re-invested in further development.

To bring back to the original topic, our commissions (at least in Alberta)are important in taking a leadership role in this discussion/policy development.

Comment

Many areas of the world,(including Canada once upon a time,) still continue to legally disallow women to vote, too.

Just because compulsory checkoffs are so, doesn't mean they should be acceptable. Pars

Comment

absolutely agree Charlie Malliefarmer/Ianben/whomever feel free to jump in, I always enjoy reading others experiences.

Another thought I have had is setting the levy at a per farm rate( seeing as we are all equal) or reducing the rate to reflect current economics.
                        The 1% levy was likely set when prices were a 1/4 of today's rates?
                        Question would values be where they are today if past growers had not contributed?
                        a plug for their program of hiring market advisers to do the bulls and bears market summary.
                        I am sending this thread to all the candidates. I know Vicky reads agri-ville maybe others can contribute as well?

Comment

"WGRF is a farmer funded and directed organization with $4 to $5 million
                          in annual base funding."

ok at it from the University's point of view. Kaching. (Scroll down):

http://www.raumenergy.com/articles/Innovation_Place_The_Scene_%20June_2007.pdf

Answer three questions:

1. Who benefits most from checkoffs? Have farmers got perennial varieties yet?

2. Are farmer funders giving more $ but themselves doing with less $?

2. *******Are governments downloading their research allocations? **********

Western Grains also give to University of Man. etc. Lotta lotta cash. Anyone add up all the farmer checkoffs? Canola. Barley. Oats. Western. Cattle. etc. Do we want to keep paying still more? And more? And more? Pars

Comment

Without the checkoff we likely would not have the red lentil industry that we have today. What is that worth to the average farm. Who would support a breeding program for 500000 acres?? Might be fixing lawnmowers this winter if it was not for reds that can be harvested when they dry down. These were key investments.

Comment

Is the point of your Innovation Place link that the new offices are in a great place to be close to the dollars you spend and that answers are just a short walk away rather than across the province or city, WGRF have access to the top scientists in the country with the university/ag Canada and synchrotron all close by. Where would you put them, to save on rent.

Parsley I'll answer your questions if you answer mine
                              In good faith I'll start

1-Of course farmers benifit most by checkoff dollars.
                              Just look at the agronomic improvements in varieties over the past number of years, billions have been saved by breeding in resistance to different bugs and diseases.

Checkoff dollars also go to fund trade missions and market development. Next time some foreign country plays fast and loose with international rules we as farmers have people and a war chest to fight back.
                              Market development is all about doing what you preach, finding out what the customers needs are then helping them fill those needs with your product.
                              Perennial wheat is closer than you think remember google is your friend.

2)I'll go back to the start of the topic Saskatchewan pulse growers are among the most profitable industries in Canada. Lentils pay the bills on many farms just look at the price of land in lentil growing areas of the province.

Govt offloading of course but look at what's left most of the dollars are matching funds if checkoff dollars go down so do matching funds. Should govt's pay more? probably but where do those dollars come from. I'll answer since it's a retorical question. (the taxpayer)

Now mine anyone can answer as they are real problems that need solutions.

Again how do you recommend new traits or varieties get funded? Your check a box answer would grind research to a halt, how would the long term commitments that are needed for multi generational trials get stable funding?

Where do you think Pulse checkoff dollars should be focused?
                              Traits, market access, domestic promotion, or something else?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...