• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 Land Rent

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BS to you. There is no "option" on the form, and the program would never include a line on their forms to handle that.

You must adjust your acres manually. If you know so much about the program, I think you clearly never read the handbook. Try page 25 and 26 for starters....

I feel for your accountant if it never came up in their discussions with you or their data entry forms, quality control sheets

Comment

And if you could adjust acres that would not even make a difference, unless in the case farmer takes on more land just crop shared and in that case claiming less acres is going to be damaging. When increasing farm size claiming the most acres is beneficial to increase reference margin.

Comment

For a land lord to participate in Agristibility he must also have a share in expenses. You cannot just go on changing your farm acres as you choose. He who pays for expenses claims the acres.

Comment

Who is claiming you can adjust your acres as you want?

Who is claiming that anyone with sales can be in Agristability without a true joint venture arrangement?

I don't think I ever mentioned that

My only point is that many producers have not reported their correct acres if they are in a crop share arrangement which has influenced their structure change.

Each farm's situation will be different but here is a common occurance: If you had a certain amount of crop share acres in the past and have not reported the correct acres information and then switch to cash or increase acres, your structure change will not be fair to you. Even worse, your past claims may have been higher because of the incorrect reporting, which is subject to clawback by the administration if it is ever discovered in future years.

Comment

The intention of the share percentage I am working with is only to determine that value of the rent otherwise the mechanics would be the same as cash rent. The landlord gets payed (just like the CWB) an inital then a payment to the minimum, later after the final amount is determined at the end of the crop year they would recieve the balance.

Comment

Actually have neighbors that do that. Determine value of crop then pay the percentage as cash. My worry would be that the crop share cost if paid properly would be higher than most cash rent agreements. May be a different story in your area. Hope you can both have a vodka over the deal. I'm sticking to the agristabilty is best to pay the cash, paying the percent in cash instead of crop helps you there, never know when your going to need it.

Comment

Mbratrud-all my cash rents are payed out in this manner,although when explained to the landlord i guarantee a base line and pay above it when i make money based on a percent of gross.

Comment

This is my intention Base of $30 then 18% of the gross acre to determine the additional. The benefit to me is I dont get stuck with a $50 rent (going rate in my area) on a shitty year. The saw off is I could pay higher in really good years. over the long run probably averages out the same, just nervous after a couple good years to get locked into a high cash rent. CP what kind of base are you running? if you don't mind me asking...

Comment

acres farmed x gross income - inputs/price of weed

Comment

LOL Ok I will look at that

Comment

Wow - you guys are complicated! Our rental agreements were signed up last winter for the crop years 2010 and 2011. $30/acre paid in the spring of each year. Simple.

Comment

Dirt girl. We could do that to but the number would be at least 50 bucks. The point of an agreement like this is to protect ourselves in the event of a disaster. If I could sign up $30 cash rent in my area I would do it in a heart beat.

Comment

In a competitive area the landowner would be a sucker to just take a cash offer. Good land and good farmers should always put more money in a landowners pocket with crop share or percent of gross payment. I would like to pay cash rent, but no land comes up for rent, and most of what comes up for rent is on some type of share basis.

20-25% of the gross is the going rate here, and that would be the same a $40-50/acre cash rent for similar land.

The way the gross works here is that it is paid on each load of grain as it is sold. So it usually makes the landlord more money than a straight cash rent, but revenue canada lets the landlords have full farm status as they are taking risk. Because the % of gross is paid at time of sale the farmer does not have to come up with cash rent up front, helps spread the risk.

Comment

20% of gross is pretty rich on a 45bu canola crop at 9buck that's 81 an acre. Even on a 27bu/ac at 6.50 that's 35/ac and you'd be squeaking when you walk because things would be so tight. 12.5-15 would probably work for me.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...