• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll

Should the province pay farmers who delivered grain to big sky?

I vote yes.

Why?Because the government owns the company.

I vote No.

I am a strong believer of farmers needing to do their homework before they sell somewhere. You chose to give them credit to bad.

Comment

When you deal with an organization that doesn't have bonding you are at risk, act appropriately, ask for payment on delivery.

Comment

no. govt. investment is irrelevant.

Comment

This is why government should not be in business. What about all other suppliers? If farming is a business and other businesses supplied other products then they should be covered as well. Where do you draw the line? Prudence holds true with whomever you deal.

Comment

Ya but-the government owns the company

??????????????????

Comment

I hate it when farmers get cheated. But and this is a big BUTT. This is the sort of thing that will become more and more common in an unregulated wide open free for all market. Farmers will end up, not even getting 1 penny per bushel fer their grain. Thank goodness that currently there are some checks and balances in place to stop the hucksters from stealing it all.
              I vote no, the government doesn't owe these greedy farmers, anything cause they didn't do their homework, before selling the pig food......

Comment

I vote No because name one farmer in Saskatchewan that didn't read or hear about the problems with the Hog sector. It was simple even big sky couldn't meet ends. So its sad really sad because the company isn't worth what they say.

Comment

the govt. does not own it. it invested in the co. in the past. in the end its investment was greater than the value of the co. but that happens every day esp. nowadays. we've been caught in seed processor bankruptcy and you take your lumps and learn to know who you're dealing with.

Comment

jensend,

The government, any government should not try to be a player in the marketplace. The market should be an entity they can certainly source goods from, such as gravel or computers,in order to do their job,but the market should be an entity they regulate.

The past government was not concerned about regulating Big Sky, they were more concerned with not looking like idiots that should never have invested in pigs in the first place. Literally.

There is no excuse or good reason for government ownership in private enterprise.

Pars

Comment

i agree the province should never have given big sky a nickel but that's no reason to compound the error. just pointing out the govt did not buy the concern it only took an equity position which has depreciated to zero. we'll all pay for the screwup of investment but that doesn't mean the taxpayer should be on the hook for any additional funds.

Comment

I vote NO as well. When I sell a grain to a buyer it is my responsibility to determine if the buyer is able to pay or not( pulse buyers). Over the years I now have a shorter list of pulse buyers that I will deal with.

Comment

Surprising results to me.

Comment

A contract asking for $x.oo up front that you can live with, really helps the bleeding.

Maybe a transparency webpage of:
                            1. Payments Owing
                            2. Late Payments

pertaniang to any buying company, could become standard?
                            Pars

Comment

Couple of questions

Are they not bonded, and how come they aren't.

How are they currently feeding the stock. I imagine they will have to keep feeding the pigs for at least a few more months to empty the barns, where is the feed going to come from.

I know I've had people tell me that they have been behind in there payments by eight weeks for at least a year, couldn't believe people would still haul there with that kind of risk.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...