• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World flax pricing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World flax pricing

Was looking around for World flax pricing, but didn't find source. Grow
    then best flax crop even and thanks to a big Canadian mistake I can't
    even give away a bushel. I sure would like to know some answers as to
    why after 10 years they are finding GMO flax. Is variety checking
    total useless in Canada or were a few farmer thinking they can make
    more money with the GMO stuff. Anyway I hope somebody get nailed
    and nailed good.

I agree. I believe in a user pay system. This time it should be abuser pay.

Comment

<p></p>
      <p class="EC_style8ptBK"><strong>[URL="http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2009/11/30/daily70.html"](Bayer CropScience paid Ken Bell and Johnny Hunter)[/URL]</strong></p>

Comment

Pars, who are you suggesting should be liable? u of s, their flax breeder,or?

Comment

When this variety was de-registered, if the flax council or whoever sucks our pockets for check off money, didn't (and still don't) have a protocol in place to rid the system of this flax then I would say those are the people that should pay. Our checkoff funding should go to the testing.

Now it seems our check off money is going to pay a bunch of incompetent people to do nothing. (Something like another bunch but I won't go there.) The two flax organizations could not develop a protocol in the last decade to ensure this didn't happen. I sure hope some other groups learn from this.

Funny, for nearly a decade the flax council or saskflax they did nothing to get rid of this problem and all of a sudden farmers are supposed to pay to fix the problem. Linda Braun said the other day there is a low level of triffid all over. No shit sherlock, when a better price is found 300 miles away with a picked up price flax is going to move.AND IF I was someone with a deregistered flax variety I would move it out of the area as well. No protocol for last decade to declare that a producer grew it so why worry.

I still believe the most effective strategy would have been to tell the EU that there is NO flax for sale from Canada. And then wait until spring. When those EU crushers have nothing to do they can come begging. Meanwhile spend a shitload of infrastructure money on a domestic flax crusher and a domestic flax industry. It seems odd we don't process more of this crop domestically.

Comment

tipsy,

Some talk about conventional class action. Nothing to do with me. I'm organic. But there is an outrage out there. Bubbling.

But I did tell organic growers and shippers the location where I was told the contamination supposedly exists, and what area to supposedly avoid, the facility, etc. There is no guidance from industry leaders for foreign buyers, and that will kill sales more than anything else.

Every rail car of Triffid flax arriving at port has been identified and lotted to the source facility.

Organic flax tests have been negative for Triffid contamination thus far, but all $25.00 per bu. organic brown flax shipments FOB (yes, the price is down) farm minus the cost of the Triffid test, soon leaving, will be Triffid tested. Organic growers want to KNOW for sure, and clean up if any are found. And avoid contaminators and their facilities.

I posted this link because the linked case bore a loss and there was a law suit and it is information.

Some canadian farmers are sitting on a lot of unsold flax in bins. There is unsold flax at port. And areas remain contaminated.

If I was a conventional farmer, I would want the system cleansed.

When you have secrecy abounding and multiplying, you must know it will never get cleaned up and the same thing will happen again in a few years.

Offenders will indeed repeat if there are no consequences. And they will offend with other crops, imho.

I've been hardnosed about this issue as you well well know.

This is not only about GM issues. This is about dishonesty.IMHO

One of the questions asked of me was this: Will the inventors of Triffid and the growers involved with Triffid be shareholders in the patent test registered somewhere, be recieivng dividends from each test? I have no idea, btw.

I haven't added to the research on my blog for a day or two. I presume conventional growers are not dissatisfied with the protocol as it has unfolded, as were organic growers, or this thread would be lengthy.

Pars

Comment

What if it had been genetically modified wheat? Who would you blame?

Comment

Established markets who specify they will only buy

xyz

and the rest will not be allowed in the country is pretty plain specs.

It can apply to:
                Cars
                chickens.
                condoms
                Nail polish
                tanks
                wheat
                airplanes
                pork

et al

Which part don't you understand? Pars

Comment

Good question agstar.

The problem is that with wheat - its going to happen. And probably sooner than later. RR wheat has been grown on irrigation land in the province and no one knows. It wasn't published. It should have been so all producers know the 5W's.

And when it happens with wheat - no one will have a protocol to protect the conventional growers. Just like flax.

Comment

Read the Keith Lewis letter on my blog. It will give you some idea about testing income potential in the future.
                    At a hundred dollars a pop, per farmer, for every variety, for every crop, it will be THE money maker of the century. Pars

Comment

Agstar lets presume what if for wheat.As of today there is a decclaratory paper work/trail inplace for delivering wheat to a country elevator in western canada.Its been well advertised that you BETTER not misrepsent the grain you are delivering. If someone choices to misrepresent or falsify sample and elevator cannot detect,I personally feel that,that farm operation has greatly increased their farm liability.
                      The difference with Triffed is, and I may be wrong here is that, was it widly known that who ever was growing the stuff and selling to the market-place should not be doing so? Iam not even aware that triffed was being grown let-alone making its way to market place! SO when producers are asking questions and demanding answers don't ya think someone or group should be stepping forward.

Comment

Right tipsy. But if a grower is declaring he has conventional wheat but in fact is growing and selling rrwheat, how does the trail of declaration find him and his illegal activities?

The bigger issue then becomes how does the system cleanse itself of this problem. Judging by the flax problem - it can't. Unless farmers pay a fee to clean it up. But paying 105 bucks won't clean the system - its just a feel good thing the wallet sucker checkoffs have invented.

Comment

Ever load of Triffid contaminated flax shipped by rail to port has been ID'd to the source facility via it's Lot #. The contaminated port facilities are identified. The railroad is identified. The area is identified.

From what I have been discreetly whispered, by many lips, and some of them glazed with perpetual truth, every duckshit in charge knows who and where and when and how much.

But they won't tell Farmer Joe Or Buyer Wong.

Maybe a good question to ask is, "Why?"

Comment

Bucket if I was a facility manager and I was dealing with a new customer or one that I was suspicious of tinkering with off/unregistered varieties we better be keeping a sample for future reference.IF detected the parties invloved can resolve the matter.

Comment

New customer? Twenty year old Little Sammy Farmer isn't the problem is he?

What about the established establishnment customers? I thought seed growers were committed to the principal of non-mixing, non-dumping, and compliance.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...