• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still plenty of unharvested crop in some areas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not necessarily.

There are thousands of other EVENTS coming out the GMO's ass.

Some with color. Some with elements. Some with, well you name it.

What if the seed has restrictions on it? Cannot be exported? Cannot cross provincial boundaries unless crushed, for example/

Triffid is out. It can be cleaned up if there is transparency.

But growing a new trait when it suddenly appears from some brainwave trying to make a name for himself, and confining it to an area, can indeed set a standard. ID. And labelling.

Comment

It is moving fast charliep. And under the covers as most well know.

And accountability is zero.

And most know full well that the farmers is fast becoming the "accountable" goat when the $%^t hits the fan and there is liability

Class action teams are lining up for the gravey. Pars

Comment

So in your opinion, the plant with novel trait from CFIA in Canada or the European Food Safety Agency in the EU processes are inadequate assessment of the technology and the risks associated with its release.

Will note on the triffid issue, it did move through the plant with novel trait regulatory process in Canada (CFIA)/was found safe within a reasonable risk level. The question was never fully answered in Europe as my understanding was pulled before the regulatory review process in Europe was completed (a flax industry decision not based on safety but rather market access). If Canada presented the technology to the EU via the process for approving genetic events in the EU, would you be satisfied it was safe.

As noted, canola genetic events are moved through the EU regulatory process and approved. Similarly, four GE corn genetic events (won't use GMO because not specific) have been approved by the EU so it doen't stand in the way of importing soybeans/soybean meal (which also have genetic events approved and therefore full import status).

Always curious if your definition of GMO includes mutagenic crops and from there, why mutagenics as a scientifict process is safer than all forms of genetic engineering.

Comment

Glad you have faith in the CFIA and the standards they abide by, including:

"regulatory process in Canada (CFIA)/was found safe within a reasonable risk level"

And I know I am being so terribly petty and picky but I find little comfort in the term "Reasonable risk level" when the phrase includes me my family and my friends getting mad cow from CFIA smiling upon 'cows being fed cows'.

No continuous testing when the "reasonable" became regulation. No area containment when the "reasonable" became regulation. No test project. NO transparency when the "reasonable" became regulation.

And you are satisfied with CFIA.

I'm not, charliep.

Comment

What is interesting to me is this whole question comes down to accessing and measuring risk of new technology. I note the act of eating involves risk - example salmonella in organic spinach. Nature also changes the risk profile - example more viralent mycrotoxins in fusarium head blight infected prairie wheat.

Do you feed the european food safety authority does a better job of assessing new technology and risk? what is it they do different and why are their processes better?

Comment

charliep, this is a waste of discussion time. Disease and infection and health practices are very different issues from genetic tampering.

The latter is permanent and not "treatable".

Farmer Pete in 2030, doesn't take a morning after pill after a night out on the town, to change the color of his permanently genetically altered eyes to restore them to green because his mother "had them done". Or any other of the genes in his body from the food he ate as a kid.

You want to manage the discussion based on food safely practices.

I am hopefull farmers will evaluate the ramifications of irreversible genetic change to the food farmers may or may not produce, and encourage the idea that the consumer may or may NOT purchase, based upon his/her choice because the consumer as well as the farmer will be informed of the difference and the difference will be identified. Pars

Comment

Will agree with your comment. The handling of BSE was a food safety issue.

Comment

I am glad you brought up BSE pars because this is the difference between North America and EU on GM.

BSE as a non breeding UK beef farmer had all the things you are fearing from GM. Third party injury with no real villan but absolutly devastating when your product is tainted. So yes I see the risks I have even tried to warn of the risk on here.

BSE is why consumers here feared GM and our governments have delayed introducion on their behalf and only when public opinion changes will I have the choice to grow GM or not.

With hindsight was the risk of BSE over hyped.
                  Thankfully the predicted cases have not materialised just like SARS, bird flu and now swine flu the worst case senario has not happened.
                  The millenium bug another non event, are we just lucky or is someone crying wolf to often?

I see how organic is seen as less risky to some people and I would never deny you your opinion or choice, but I see it as untested. I see the risk from ergot in bread or blight in potato greater than the risk from the tested seed dressing or spray that in my view make them safer.

Is climate change another wolf cry or the real thing?

Comment

The handling of BSE

for ME

is all about CFIA disregarding a % of human life so that offal could be easily disposed of.

Convenient and cheap.

There was/is no need for one human being in Canada to die from lack of forward planning for a processing process.

CFIA on Watch? I'd describe it as:

Makeshift. Irresponsible. Immoral Criminal.

But then I'm picky.

Comment

You have yet to view the insidious impact of BSE on human brains in Canada.

Give it twenty years and then count the brain dead. Deterioration moves slowly.

Dr, Murray Waldheim , chief coroner at Toronto, has studied brains continually as he slices them thinly in his autopsies, and places them on microscopes.

We have just begun to glimpse the effects of the CFIA's policy, imho.

Comment

Btw, ianben, I got an H1N1 last week.

I have not had H1N1 as I dont think it is necessary. I think I am more likely to catch something nasty in the doctors waiting room than perhaps not catch a mild flu.

Comment

And ianben

Organic is simply a way of growing and distributing food. It does not attempt to change nature. Or tamper with genes. Organics tracks nature's food, developed by nature, to the consumer.

Nature is cruel. Survival of the fittest. If you eat foxglove, your heart will beat so fast you will die. Nature made it that way.

Saying organic is untested is amusing. Nature itself isn't tested. Nature is designed to get along in the scheme of things. Maybe some humans fit in like socks on a rooster do, because normal people simply don't eat a cup of ergot, although I wouldn't be surprised if charliep invited me for a cup of foxglove tea. lol Pars

Comment

Link to uk human BSE cases
                            http://www.cjd.ed.ac.uk/cjdq60.pdf

I am not trying to say any deaths are OK but this is not the tens to hundreds of thousands talked of in 1996
                            and we are probably 20yrs on now from when UK population was at maximum exposure.

It is all about perceived risk and obviously you and I see risk differently but how do you calculate a risk you are prepared to take?

Comment

Nature is cruel. Survival of the fittest. If you eat foxglove, your heart will beat so fast you will die. Nature made it that way

You believe this but you took the N1H1 because?

Comment

I always appreciate foodnavigator and its information. Found the following on potatoes.

An interesting article on potatoes highlighting the grey areas of non traditional plant breeding.

[URL="http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Science-Nutrition/Partnership-promises-high-quality-non-GM-potatoes"]potatoes[/URL]

also note following article from a few weeks back on women and flaxoil. Am going to make the comment (knowing coming from a man) the benefits of flax oil out weigh the risks of triffid.

<a href=" http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Flaxseed-oil-cuts-osteoporosis-risk-in-diabetic-older-women-study">flax oil benefits</a>

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...