• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Earth Farms!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they have to rely on 1st Nations for their labour you can be sure they won't last long.

Comment

Take off your farming hat, because it views the land only as ground to farm.

Put on your real estate hat, and graze thoughts.

Farm land has been cheap, compared to city lots and overpriced highrises.

Ag Land is a safe place to park big bucks. Down the road, international buyers will need to expand ag production for their expanding polulation. They will be keen to buy huge parcels from sophisticated agents. Huge agents will be keen to sell.

The new owners can send their own wayward citizens to the -30 degree landcolony, or they can hire experienced locals who will lose their current sales to that country if they aren't receptive.

Your municipal education taxes will be targeted to English as a second language schools.

Can you let your imagination run wild? Pars

Comment

I like playing around with numbers to,pars.Youve
        hit the nail on the head.

How many farmable acres in the world?
        Is it 12 million square miles?
        12 million sections-6-7 billion people mmmm....

And sprott ends up with a couple hundred
        thousand acres?

What a dumb billionaire.

Comment

The real deal maker or breaker in this will be the natives. Most natives seem to make deals and then change their mind and the local laws do not seem to apply. Take the 25000 acres that is supposedly being farmed by one earth farms that had tenants on it with contracts. A normal person would have to honor those contracts, but not the natives.

City of Calgary has made several signed deals with the local TsuTina band for roads. The band keeps changing the deal, even when it is signed. Everyone is scared to instill local law and order on the native bands because of perceived injustices that happened years ago.

I have no doubt in my mind that one earth farms will be able to bypass the CWB and haul all their wheat into the USA and pick up 10-50% more money than local farmers can.

How about branded food. A farm of that size and capitalization should be able to brand name bread, cereal, meat, etc.

I seriously doubt that one earth farms could rent land, pay management salaries, wages, and returns to investors if it operates just as a normal family farm. I am sure they are looking at some sort of massive vertically integrated operation. And if they are in need of some cash, the gov't can't say no to the natives, so they will get support payments that the rest of agriculture will not see.

Comment

On this deal with one earth he or one earth have no land ownership. But I do see your point of one earth screwing up a local supplier. But like I heard once before large farms produce less grain per acre. That is a plus for you. Larry Rudd will not get his hands dirty and he does not have to. He makes money with his mouth. Since some farmers do use advisers then why not one earth, especially them. Larry joined forces with Meyers Norris Penny so he could have access to all the farmers books that deal there. If an adviser would really like to show his stuff what better way than to manage a real farm. Gonna be a whole lot different than comparing 1000 farms and telling 10 of them that hire you what to do. But I am sure after looking at all the farmers books at MNP he does know a few things that will be good for one earth. They only farmed 13000 acres last year, what will they farm this year?

Comment

Actually taking on land with a previous contract should worry one earth because it could happen the other way.
              Also if the first nations wanted to, could they not seize all of one earth farms machinery and tell them where to go when beneficial? As long as it is on native lands the owner cannot touch it? Oh just something I heard.

Comment

13000 25000= 38000 and counting.

Comment

Canada has two tier civil rights based on race?

Comment

My perception of this man is different than most.

I have been following him for YEARS.

He has put his money where his mouth is and has
                    won,when everyone else has failed.

Only a handful of gurus are as capable.

Comment

What would happen if 2008 repeats, great prices, great crops. Native landowners call in the custom guys from the south and haul the grain down south to deliver? Even if the CWB squawks it would take years to figure out after the fact and the taxpayer would pay the legal bill cause its about first nation rights not something as simple as grain.
                      There would be a Calidonia style roadblock, "its our land so its our crop".
                      Laugh your ass off if/when this happens?
                      One Earth has to remember that "if the landowner did it with you he will do it to you".

Comment

i know eric sprott is an intelligent person but this has all been done before. how many more levels of management can his economies of scale (which won't always be advantageous) support? this is just another money play for him - he will make money. the farm is not likely to survive because although he can build alliances he can't change the weather and he can't instantly conjure up more men and machinery when the weather goes sour or the landlords decide they have another issue in the living agreement they made. the investment is all in iron and operating costs; not land. the scale will work against him when decisions have to be made on the spot and managers have to follow the chain of command, spending limits and job descriptions. he can build a good business model but he can't change a low margin high investment industry all on his own. other people thought they could and very few have succeeded. i only know of one of these investment in farming plays that succeeded over decades and that was because the owner/managers made that one entity their occupation.

Comment

Nobody wants him to fall flat on his face more than
                          me.

One thing that is positive is that he is another big
                          money manager who sees ag as a bright light.

Comment

You hit the nail on the head money manages feel our time has come, Banks feel our time has come, World gurus feel our time has come but were still spinning our wheels and mother nature rules the roost. Yea I hope I have my hay day. I remember a cartoon in Mad magazine when I was a little guy. It was of a farmer who was the richest guy around because food is the most important thing next to water. AH AH AH.
                            I hope he doesn't wipe out for a few years. But no Accountant or Banker has ever and I mean ever successfully farmed in West, Not one. Lots have tried to play but none have succeeded.
                            Good luck.

Comment

I will say the silver living in all this could be that the Chiefs break the monopoly of the cwb.

I would like to see how Larry Hill demands natives to bow to him.

That will be one big government money exercises in futility. Think the gun registry was a money loser. Wait till the bleeding heart liberals get a hold of this. Mr. Dithers won't know which side to be on - The natives where his money is parked or the cwb that imposes serfdom for the benefit of his shipping lines.

Comment

Have any of you ever been approached by foreign government officials proposing you set up and manage a large foreign-owned agricultural base within Canada,including families? A colony.

Pars

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...