• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flax

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flax

I know this has probably been talked about but I just started reading the WP and according to the grain industry a plan to use certified seed the whole triffid problem would be corrected quickly.

Can someone much smarter than myself explain how buying seed from the people that caused the problem in the first place, will fix the problem?

If my 105 bucks to say my seed is triffid free isn't certifable in itself , why have the test at all?

Judging by the mess we are in with flax and knowing it was never commercially available there is only one group to blame for this.

And I don't really think rewarding them for it is in my best interest.

The Culture of Bullshit at its' very finest.LOL

Even the Trailer Park Boys don't have this kind of nerve. Pars

Comment

Thanks bucket for saving me from having to start a on this very topic.
      This afternoon I made a stong complaint to the inland terminal about their proposed demand that all flax marketed to them would be grown from certified seed. It is surely the pedigreed seed business that has irrepairably ruined the flax markets by selling Triffid contaminated seed. To turn to these same growers to get new seed each and every year just won't happen in my farming career. Even in the registered seed system it sounds like one bushel of Triffid in 9,999 bushels is going to be the tolerance. We can do better than that with farm grown seed; and never would have had this contamination problem in the first place.
      There is apparently no end to the overbearing control and demands that most Western Canadian farmers will tolerate. Between this weak attitude, and grain company (CWB etc etc. ) decisions; maybe its time get tough with picky consumers (or whomever speaks for them) and the middlemen who have always sucked up the majority of the fruits of agriculture.

Comment

Thanks bucket for starting a thread on the topic of requiring that flax be grown from certified seed.

I am so teed off that I didn't even try to proofread my previous post.

Comment

I am also one of the perturbed flax growers and I hope I can get to talk to someone from the Flax Council in Saskatoon next week.This is pure nonsense to think that it was a commercial grower that caused this problem. We never got to grow the stuff and if some did it is them to blame not every flax grower. Reminds of a deer dodo problem a few years ago in barley. So much easier to blame the farmer than the real culpret.

Comment

"hope I can get to talk to someone "

?

YOU PAY THEM

They are accountable to you.
            They work for YOU.

Your employees are a runnin wild

Slap them a good one
            If they don't respond
            Get them fired.

Comment

Has class action on behalf of flax growers across Canada been ruled out? Triffid flaxsed was put into the care of a number of comercial seed growers( of which there should be a record of) and either by intention , malace or dereliction, Triffid seed moved off their farms, and now has destroyed a lucrative market(the U.K. or western Europe)

Comment

I wish I could paste a response from the flax council about the class action lawsuit. They basically said no one did anything wrong so there would be no case to initiate one.

Comment

sounds just like Obama !

Comment

<p></p>
                    <p class="EC_style8ptBK"><strong>[URL="http://parsleysnotebook.blogspot.com/2010/01/flax-council-of-canada-culture-of.html"](The Culture of the Triffid)[/URL]</strong></p>

Comment

If only we had a group of lawyers working on our
                      behalf out of a pool of money..oh forget it.

What ever happened to that money anyway?

Comment

You could talk to your friendly James Richardson rep; or someone like Mayo. Currently they are thinking that there has been only one dissenting voice to their solution 0f banning producer saved seed.
                        Their solution seems to be tested seed from registered seed growers at less than 0.1% contamination. I'm thinking that my home grown tested seed supply at no detectable Triffid contamination should be an even better solution. Be damned if I'll OK a registered seed growers association solution to a problem that they surely have caused; and are now getting ready to force their self serving solution on innocent flax growers. Damn those responsible; and don't let them off the hook easily; nor let them deflect the issue to red herrings.

Comment

You nailed it oneoff, this problem stems from registered seed growers in the first place, and if their association isn't interested in getting to the bottom of this and isolating the culpable, then what business do they have suggesting a monopoly solution where they, and very likely the culpable, will benefit financially! A lotta hell should be raised at the Flax growers and Seed growers during Crop Prod Show next week. The collusion between the Grain Buyers and the Seed growers needs to go up in flames before it gets off the ground!

Comment

There is a business connection between the registered seed business; and the farm supply wings of the line elevator companies. This proposed new policy is very good for both business sectors. It isn't good at all for everyone else. Look at history because this isn't the first foray into this territory. Hint canola, corn etc)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...